beatles mono box how do you spot a fake?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fitzysbuna, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCassidy

TheCassidy New Member

Did you buy from Amazon or a seller fulfilled by Amazon?

2. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I'm trying to figure out if this guy is truly OCD, which he stated earlier, or if he's a troll. It's starting to be a fine line.

It was kinda funny at first but reading the last couple of pages is making me wonder if he's toying with people here.

3. I bought from Amazon.co.uk direct.

"The Beatles In Mono
    The Beatles
    Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
    Dispatched on 27 May 2010"

Why am i a troll ? I'm afraid i'm serious.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Look Gbeer7, I just can't help you anymore.

I'm certain you have a legit box. Just enjoy it and stop worrying.

After we have answered every question you ask you still find something else to ask about. This will never end. Even if I sat down with you with my legit box and we went through comparing it with yours you still wouldn't be convinced. You have it in your mind that it 'may' be a fake and nothing I can say or do will change that.

The problem is not the box it is your OCD condition. That's what you need to focus on, not the box.

Good luck and stop worrying. I won't be replying to any emails on this issue so don't bother sending them. Just enjoy your Beatles box.:thumbsup:

stonesstein likes this.
  5. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

well put!

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Don't worry, it's just Ringo's phone number.

7. OK Guys. Full apologies for keeping on. :rolleyes:

8. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

As someone who has suffered with OCD I have to say that this sounds very much like OCD talking and it seems like you won't be satisfied whatever. The small number is probably an IFPI number which should indicate the plant where it was pressed. This show up on legits and counterfeits. If it didn't have one of these it would very likely be counterfeit. You've got three options: 1. Just get on with life knowing that you've tried to check. 2. Check with an official body. 3. Send it back.

In all seriousness I hope you are seeing a counsellor as this is not normal behaviour, but you know that too otherwise you could have just trashed the box and got on your life. It's your choice.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Gbeers already acknowledged that he's OCD, so I feel for him. Nonetheless, I'm not sure what he expects to get from this thread. He seems to have enough self-awareness that it's surprising he keeps coming back to the thread...

10. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

eeeeeeh, I don't know Gbeer, something about that box seems a little fishy to me....

:angel:

numer9 likes this.
  11. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

If I had OCD and was excessively worried, I would buy a second copy from Amazon. When it arrives, I would compare the two, pick the one I want and return the other. The odds of getting a fake from Amazon is probably close to zero, but certainly the odds of getting two fakes is much less.

12. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

I think you misunderstood my post. My point was that I don't think the OP realised just how much it was the OCD talking. As someone who has has OCD I recognise its gait. It's hard to see what is 'normal' and what is not as a sufferer sometimes, and the OCD thoughts scream so loud. Let alone risking the fear of what ever it is one is afraid of happenning should one not do what the obsession/compulsion demands.

13. Oatsdad

But I think Gbeers HAS recognized that it's his OCD talking - he's said "I know I'm being ridiculous" about 100 times. He just can't help himself...

14. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Wait. Does "Twist and Shout" on your mono Please Please Me ends with a cough? I heard the fake ones had a cough right at the end.

:angel: :D

15. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

HOW TO SPOT A FAKE (or die trying)

The script is already written -- you're halfway there! I see a beautiful short film taking place. Oscar, here we come.

16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

All I can say is that Barry's original mastering has the cough for sure. If it's missing, then it's no more Barry's original work ! ;)

17. Oatsdad

I know you guys are just joking, but given Gbeers' inability to back away from his irrational concerns, it's probably not a good idea to make comments like this. I think that intellectually he'll know they're jokes but emotionally they'll just mess with him even more...

ParloFax likes this.
  18. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Fair enough, I retract.

BTW, for those whose musical tastes don't go beyond the Beatles, here's what the other two posts were referring to: IMTOD

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

There is a cough at the end of "Twist and Shout" though - both stereo and mono.

real01 likes this.
  20. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

LOL, I'm picturing the guy cuing up the end of "Twist and Shout" and rewinding multiple times like "BAMmmm... <cough> zzzzt BAMmmm... <cough> zzzzt BAMmmm... <cough> zzzzt BAMmmm... <cough>"

NOOOOOOOooooo!!!!

:laugh:

21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It could be a fake cough though. Does it sound like a chinese cough?

Sorry.

Drifter likes this.
  22. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Saw this review on Amazon. Did this poor guy get a fake?

It arrived quickly & in excellent condition. The only weird thing (and this wouldn't be the sellers fault) is that the songs listed on the "Past Masters" sleeve does not match what is recorded on the CD. I'm not disappointed though as I enjoy listening to all & any Beatles songs!

23. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Is there any other explanation? I can't think of any. Unless he is just mistaking.

24. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Not only did my Beatles in Mono box turn out to be fake, the discs are in stereo. The counterfeiters couldn't even get that right.

Thankfully, I only cost me $7 at a yard sale. The poly sleeves are now protecting my genuine Beatles remastered stereo discs (poly sleeves which Capitol dumbly didn't include).

25. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

This thread had me laughing out loud. My mono box has an odd printing on the front of the box - the thin black border is twisted slightly, but quite noticable. It doesn't run squarewith the outside edge of the box. The Apple logo, though, is bright and looks good. The contents are definitely genuine. The discs, sleeves and extras ooz class and quality. So I suspect the outside printing is simply a slight defect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.