Early ZZ Top Nice & PURE !!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Myke, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

I received a vinyl album, excuse me, a 40 year-old vinyl album from member Raunch And Roll today, and not only is it unusally clean and clear and free of any snap, crackles, or pops, but..." Sure Got Cold After The Rain Fell " is goosebump-worthy !!! Billy is (cliche ahead) in the room with you !!!
    Dear God, those damned remixes had put that unholy echo into my brain, but now it's gone at last.
    The echo, not my brain.
    This is how early ZZ Top is meant to sound !!!
    If ya love ZZ Top, and you have a turntable in your setup, even if you're a digital guy...put down the latest rendering of Aja...it's okay, they'll release another one in about...12 minutes, and give a listen to some OLD school ZZ Top on vinyl.
    Don't you deserve it ?

Carter DeVries likes this.
  2. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Man I love Rio Grande Mud. Sadly I've only heard the remixed cd.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  3. Myke

$15.00 my friend. The guys that sell vinyl here are UN-believable !!!

4. True enough! A buddy of mine got back into records after I rebuilt my 2-channel system. He heard mine, it blew his mind, so he had to have one. We're in our 40's, so we remember how groovy vinyl is. We got him a turntable, speakers & an amp. One day I go over to his place & he's just been out record shopping. He pulls out ZZ Top 'Tres Hombres'. I decide to clean it & throw it on. This record is mint, thick as a plate, a 'FFRR' pressing on London records. We drop the needle & holy-****! Instant live-boogie. The cliche is true: ZZ Top was right in the room with us, crisp & clear, loud & proud, with the fattest bottom-end & thickest punch I've ever heard from a ZZ Top record. Snap 'em up, they rock...

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

THIS is why you still need to own a turntable.

6. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I've been thinking about getting into vinyl, it's a shame most the music I like never gets properly remastered on cd. I'm gonna have to get a job and buy myself some vinyl.

7. Myke

Actually one of the GOOD things about being 51, I was born into vinyl. All I needed was a " push " like this place to get me to return. Now, there's room for both in my listening. Digital and analog. :righton:

And the albums from 1964-1996 that I didn't touch from 1996-2010 are of course less worn.

8. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I prefer the WB reissue LPs (with yes, original mixes) from the 80s. Londons are generally really noisy in my experience.

9. For The Love

For The Love Active Member

+1

The WB discs sound great

10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

And I'll be seeing ZZ Top this weekend. I'm gonna tell Billy - hey! pull some strings or something and get those last albums out on CD in their proper analog form! (1st, RGM, & Tejas)

DoF likes this.
  11. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

You are correct that it is difficult to find clean early London ZZ Lps, but it is well worth the effort. Once I heard Tres Hombres on a clean London, my 80s WB pressing sounded limp in comparison. Sold it off. Be persistent, as there is usually not a high dollar premium placed on old ZZ albums by record stores.

12. Myke

Thank you ! I know this copy is clean and quiet, so I saw no reason to argue that.

13. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

No Argument:). I had the same experience when I first heard the London pressing. Just a push to to motocitydave to be persistent and keep buying a favorite record until you find the perfect copy. It's a disease. I think I need help! Lucky I have an understanding wife!;)

14. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Hee, hee. I got all those early Londons earlier this year and ND'ed them. I was in heaven not only for hearing the original mixes on clean London pressings, but also because I do not play vinyl often enough, but I always love it when I do. :righton: I'm 45 and I grew up on vinyl too.

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Got all the blue label Londons. This is the way to hear Z.Z. Top!!

16. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Don't forget Steve's Tres Hombres reissue. I think it easily beats the London pressing. I'm going to see the boys from Texas in September...can't wait.

I just saw that Rio Grande Mud is being reissued on vinyl as well. It'd be sweet if they could improve on my London pressing which sounds great but could be quieter. This is one killer album. Glad I never heard the remixes.

Myke and keyXVII like this.
  17. Myke

Got one on order. :righton:

18. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Prediction: You will be very happy.

19. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I own all of the CDs...

20. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Where did you see this? Who is putting Rio Grande Mud out?

21. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Warner Brothers/Rhino 180g LP
    Seen them for pre-order at Elusivedisc :righton:

22. Grim177

Grim177 Forum Resident

23. Myke

24. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

They are redoing Deguello as well, gonna be hard to beat the double RL pressing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.