Early ZZ Top Nice & PURE !!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Myke, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Exactamundo.

2. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Haven't heard it in a long time, but I recall that tune being for real, absolutely.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Bears repeating. Listening to Kevin's work on Tres Hombres right now...powerful.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I've a mint looking and sounding Rio Grande Mud that kills the Warner issue when they're compared :)

5. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

That's a great b&w photos of the boys....

6. motorcitydave

Really. How so?

7. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

Fair enough, but you've got to admit that was a pretty cool style concept they came up with. And nobody else could have done it like they did.

I mean, they gave us 6 killer rock/blues records before they tried something new. They didn't really owe us anything :cheers:

I'm sure if you asked them, the MTV phase was the party time of their lives. That image brought them serious money and serious chicks. And they were having fun. Can you really blame them?

Also, it allowed them to play blues songs in concert for a new swath of fans who weren't going to find it on their own for a while yet.

I saw the Recycler tour, and it was a really fun show, with some great extended jams on old bluesy numbers. I would have liked to have seen them in the "shaven days", but they were also pretty good entertainers with the whole "concept show" skills.

ccm

DoF likes this.
  8. motorcitydave

'Recycler' wasn't a bad album at all. I'm burned out on 'Eliminator,' and 'Afterburner' is pretty lousy, imo.

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

They lost me when they did the beards, cars, chicks, mtv stuff. Love the early albums. Can't blame them for wanting to make some money, but I thought they got slick and cheesy.

10. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

ZZ Top's First Album on London is quite nice also!

11. pool_of_tears

My copy of the London sounds more dynamic than the Warner vinyl, imo.
    And when there's practically NO surface noise on the London copy, that's another plus.

12. motorcitydave

Ok, cool. Really. My experience with the Londons is more surface noise...so, you definitely have an exceptional pressing!

13. pool_of_tears

I think...no, I know I got lucky. I inherited mine from Dad :)

I must say the Warner vinyl is a very good alternative.

14. I don't think the old London label early/first pressings were particularly notorious for poor grade pressings. All mine are startlingly quiet. However, all my early ZZ Top Londons are Canadian black or red labels so I can't speak to the differences in a US London. I do think these issues tended fall prey to party abuse, kinda like finding a clean early RL Zeppelin II....

15. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

It took awhile but I managed to track down really good sounding copies of the early albums on London. None of 'em are noisy. I had to dig thru a lot of copies to find original pressings tho'.

Most recently I got a RL mastered copy of the "World Wide Texas Tour" promo that sounds really good too.

Nothing wrong at all with the Steve/Kevin remastered ones and probably a easier to find then the originals. I don't feel the need to get originals of those.

16. motorcitydave

:uhhuh:

17. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Just found this on a friend's FB page. Zee Zee at the prom.

Attached Files:

psubliminal likes this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing ! Saved it. :wave:

19. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I picked up Rio Grande Mud last weekend on CD after listening to Six Pack for the last 20 years. ZZ Top original mixes ROCK!

20. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

A great photo of Zee Zee

21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Where did you get this? I didn't realize the original mix was available on CD.

22. johnHS

johnHS Forum Resident

I thought the only ones re-issued with the orignal mix were Tres Hombres and Fandango.

23. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

I hate to ruin your day, but you still aren't listening to the original mixes.

24. apple-richard

Well I guess I needlessly spent $9. I thought since it was new and individually released it was the original mix. :(

25. apple-richard

I just pulled Rio Grande Mud out. The CD says CDD Pre Mastering by WCI Record Group. That's the only mastering info in the booklet, nothing on the CD.

I bought Fandango and Tres Hombres 2 months ago and figured this was part of that batch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.