"Wish You Were Here" 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmrife, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music. Thread Starter

I heard this disc yesterday at the Audiofest in Denver. All you need to know is that it is all you might hope it could be.

It is available from Acoustic Sounds on November 7, and I am already in line.

Attached Files:

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I envy you SO much right now. Do YOU think the SACD will be necessary for me, since the 5.1 will be in the Immersion box ?

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

What is the mix like? Is it more "agressive" like the quad mix of DSOTM, or rather like the 5.1 mix?

4. jmrife

Well, if you are a one of those who have to have everything --- yes. But you might not.

The Box is out of the question for me. Can't possibly afford everything I want, so I prioritize.

Is the Immersion Box version the same mix and rez as the single release? I don't know, I should have asked Guthrie when I had the chance.

I did get him to acknowledge that a 5.1 "The Wall" is coming...but no ETA of course.

5. jmrife

Never heard the quad mix, only the 5.1 of DSOTM, but I can tell you that details that were buried in the 2.0 mix are alive and well in the 5.1, and that there is occasional "aggressive" use of the surrounds in this new mix.

They flew big apex speakers from UK for this demo. It was fun. I was in the first group, after the press, to hear it.

Wanted to hear it again.

6. Myke

Thanks. No, I already have the 2 Track Japan-For-US, plus several other versions on vinyl, and digital...ordered the box on May 10th, so my $101.00 is locked in. The only difference I've been able to see, judging by others posts...is the difference between how the Blu Ray is sourced vs. how the SACD is sourced. But no, I'm not obsessive about owning "everything."

7. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

The Wall Immersion set is a joke without a surround disc! Look for it in 2019.

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Thanks.

WHAT?! :eek:

9. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

My guess one would stay closer to the source with WYWH Immersion 5.1 BD version (24/96 PCM) than with WYWH 5.1 SACD (DSD) if the surround mix was created in PCM domain. However, the playback system elements may be crucial...

10. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

You mistyped "scarf" as "surround disc".

:shh:

Simon A likes this.
  11. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

:tsk:

12. Myke

Thanks. $35 is a tank of gas + $10, so a duplicate, or even slight...slight being the key word...difference isn't worth it to me.

13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I would like to have been there to hear it. Congrats! :righton:

November 7 is right around the corner. :winkgrin:

I can't wait to hear it.

14. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Can you go into a tad more detail?

Did you hear the stereo version off the SACD?

15. jmrife

Acoustic Sounds was there to showcase the 5.1; they weren't offering the 2.0, only the 5.1.

The sonics were excellent and the separation, when necessary, was discrete. It was easy to "place" the various instruments, effects, etc. Nothing muddy or hidden.

Example: If you know the music, you know that there are offsets, where the lead is followed closely by a harmonic repeat of the lead (I do not know enough technical musical knowledge to otherwise describe this effect), but it is not an echo effect, I feel sure. These offsets were placed in the surround channels, highlighting them much more than in the original recording.

Wish I knew more about how to describe what I heard.

This 5.1 mix was created by James Guthrie, who has more than enough credibility in the Floyd community to do this right. IMO, he did. He said it was a labor of love.

Would like to hear the Blu-ray version sometime, though I am not sure a recording made in '74 would benefit much from a BR version. As good as it sounded, there is only so much that can be extracted from even the best 38 year old recording.

But it was a blast to hear!:goodie: I look forward to having my own copy in three weeks or so.

Now, where is Abbey Road?

16. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Lucky you! You should drive a bigger rig for a different perspective.:D

17. Myke

Son has a Caddy...$65...no thanks. :laugh:

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

:wave:

:D

I have the Immersion box on pre-order, but I have also pre-ordered the SACD since it could be the best-sounding stereo release to date.

19. nightfall

nightfall Senior Member

Sounds like another conservative surround mix (albiet with excellent sound quality) from the master of the school of non-imagination.

20. Myke

Maybe...but look at overly aggresive mixes like the DTS of Abraxas...that thing gave me motion sickness.

Few get it as right as Steven Wilson ! I'm keeping an open mind to Guthrie's work.

21. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

You are so right Mike,those aggresive mixes(Abraxas) drive me nuts...not something I go back and listen to often.....I look foward to this 5:1 version of WYWH.

JF

22. Myke

Sold the Machine Head SACD last year...just got Steve's Gold CD...and THIS sounds GREAT as 2 channel. Surround was a huge thrill at first...then I became picky. :laugh:

The Blu Ray of DSOTM has me believing WYWH will be just as incredible.

23. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i like the machine head mix. it's fun.

looking forward to this multichannel sacd.

24. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks! Mike for sharing your listening experience.

25. CRSearle

CRSearle Member

Very good news! Since its obviously not in the Immersion box set, I hope we can expect it as an Acoustic Sounds SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.