"Wish You Were Here" 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmrife, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Awesome summary Julie, thank you.

I am totally stoked for this release, finally, after all these years of thinking it would never happen. While it is easy to get caught up in the things that are not being done as part of this massive Floyd re-release program, to get the WYWH SACD and a proper version of Wembley 1974 is 'pinch worthy'.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So are you buying both the Immersion set & the SACD ? Or Experience & SACD ?

3. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Well, I'm just a massive sucker for this stuff, so I have both the SACD and the Immersion set on pre-order. Did the same for DSotM (sort of, since I have had the SACD for years).

4. Myke

I may wait and see if you (and others) hear any differences in the Blu Ray and the SACD. I've had the Immersion set on preorder since May 10th, and am in the same boat as you about DSOTM (SACD in 2003 / Immersed in 2011). Thanks.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm buying the WYWH Immersion Box and SACD... in fact I bought 2 copies of the SACD.

6. Myke

Let me guess, a backup copy, should the ghost of Mayor Daley steal the first one ?

7. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

+1 :righton:

8. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

FWIW, with the DSotM Bluray versus SACD, I have a slight preference for the former. Given that the bluray appears to be a PCM conversion from the DSD, the only rational explanation for my preference is down to how my hardware handles SACD.

9. We asked, and damn did we get!

I thought I had everything in regards to the 'WYWH' material covered, by ordering the 'Immersion' set. Then I find out there's a completely seperate SACD I'm going to have to buy. While my wallet hates it, my ears love it. It's been quite a while since I started counting the days for a particular release(s)...and you can be damn sure my countdown has begun!

10. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

11. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Anyone have a promo or advanced copy of this sacd?

12. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Yes, drool....

13. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Drooling big time..........

14. TKO

TKO Forum Resident

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

17. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Just read the review,I cannot wait to hear this.I feel like a little kid right before xmas.:D

18. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

19. Too bad they didn't take the opportunity to provide a 2 channel remix as Steve Wilson likes to do with his 5.1 projects. Who really wants another remaster of the same mix? (probably lots of people...but not me ;))

20. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

21. Pants Party

22. Anybody know why they don't ever use (or include) the burning man photo that was on the US-issued LP? I always liked it better.

Attached Files:

23. Pants Party

For me, getting both versions makes sense (not financially though -- none of this sh#t EVER makes financial sense!)

I do have a Blu-ray player (and fully welcome Blu-ray audio) but it's currently not my "audiophile" player -- and isn't hooked up as such. My Oppo 980 (DVD-Audio/SACD player) has those duties.

So...with just the Immersion Set...I wouldn't be getting the full-impact of the surround (down-mixed) from my consumer-grade Blu-ray. I need the SACD for my Oppo to do that.

Just thought I'd share a situation that could justify blowin' more dough...

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I liked it better as well with the burning man standing upright. There are 2 variations of the AMLOR cover as well. When I was with Storm a few years ago I got to ask him about it. He said that they liked both covers and decided to use one for the domestic version and the other one elsewhere, simple as that. When it came time for universal CD releases I guess they picked the UK images as the standard. I liked the original US cover for the symmetry and appearance of a mirror image. I've never been happy about this choice... :shake:

Here's an excerpt from my interview, all of which can be found here...

http://www.pinkfloydz.com/storm5.htm

Ron: The next question is in regards to using multiple images for album covers. I can understand creating the different Division Bell covers for the numerous formats that it was released on (LP, CD, tape, minidisk), but how come albums like "AMLOR" and "Wish You Were Here" have alternate covers.

Storm: (shrugs, and gives the answer I least expected to hear from a man who retains such precise control over every aspect of production). Whim.

Ron: Whim? So like with "Lapse", the guy's either looking in the mirror or breaking a stick?

Storm: Whim

Ron: And "Wish You Were Here" has…

Storm: A different burning shot.

Ron: I always preferred the US version myself. I don't know if it's because I grew up with it and I'm used to it, or I like it because it's more symmetrical, where both men are standing erect. And the fire is much better on the US cover. And now the new CD releases feature only the UK cover with the burning man leaning, so the US image will eventually be eventually phased out for good. So these were whims? Nothing to do with the record companies getting the hardcore collectors to buy each version of the album?

Storm: (seriously) Why would you do that? No, it's whim. It's sometimes because we can't make up our minds which one we like better, so we use them both. Well we like them both, so we use them both. It's also sometimes to distinguish between which is American product and which is European product, but not particular. Mostly whim.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.