"Wish You Were Here" 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmrife, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

I think it would be a waste if the original quad mix was not included on the Blu-ray. Now that we've been spoiled by the excellent surrounded mixes on the DSOTM Immersion Blu-ray I wouldn't expect anything less.

3. Invincible

Invincible New Member

I listened to the 5.1 mix today. I was very impressed and will be getting it.

It is a pretty aggressive mix, but really worked well. The conveyor belt freaked me out at reference levels. It comes mostly behind you from left to right.

It was mentioned at the end that they used the original master tapes for the mix which allowed them to use very discrete sound in the mix, which was obvious.

It was also mentioned they have it saved as 24/192 which may be issued as a download in the future. This remaster/remix is currently exclusive to Acoustic Sounds for an undisclosed period.

4. mrcond

mrcond Forum Resident

5. Myke

Thank You mrcond

6. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

7. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Since I do not own the legendary 2-track CD (not yet anyway), I am looking forward to this SACD!

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I thought Music Direct and Elusive Disc would get it right away, not that that helps any. They're just as expensive as Acoustic Sounds.

9. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Well technically they state that no other retailer will get it 'before' them but does not tell you that other retailers like MD and ED won't get it at the same time....that said, I can wait on this for Amazon....

10. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Wait...I'm so confused... is this summation correct?

WYWH Immersion Box Set

WYWH, blu-ray contents, @ 24/96: Original 2.0, Original Quad/4.0 and a 5.1 (done by who?)

WYWH SACD
    A different (or same?) 5.1 but in DSD (done by who? Gutherie?)

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The SACD and Blu-ray are both identical 5.1 mixes created by Guthrie. The only difference is the format and the way it's streamed.

12. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Thanks. So is the SACD is basically for those who don't go Immersion.

Outside of format/streaming...is there different mastering, aka Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray?

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am guessing that the SACD will have a unique mastering in both stereo and surround. If not, then the question is whether EMI is mastering to DSD or if Analogue Productions is converting EMI's PCM masters to DSD.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I think that they will both be pretty much identical, but I think you may have it backwards. Guthrie finished the SACD version (including mastering) years ago. It was ready to hit the market but was stopped by the powers that be who were unsure about the format. So the SACD came first. The Blu-ray was created for the WYWH Immersion box and was created from the DSD streams of the SACD. I thought that Analogue Productions were simply the distributors. Am I wrong?

15. You are correct. The 5.1 mix that will be on the Immersion was probably taken from the existing 5.1 mix made for the SACD. It was determined in another thread that the 5.1 mix for DSOTM's Immersion box was derived from the DSOTM SACD. I can't see why it would be any different for WYWH.

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This is EXACTLY correct. :righton:

:cheers:

:edthumbs:

17. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Is it confirmed that WYWH BD will in fact utilize decimated to 24 bits & rate-converted to 96kHz 5.1 DSD track (just like TDSOTM Immersion BD did)?

18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Wow. I'm going to mark this day down in my calendar. Two people have actually agreed with me! :laugh::goodie:

19. Myke

Not to mention removing ANY doubt I had about "missing anything" by getting only the Immersion box, and ignoring the SACD. :thumbsup:

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You are wrong. You will definately miss a lot if you do not buy the SACD. With the SACD there will be a limited edition booklet that explains how to do the "secret handshake." Only very special people know the secret handshake.

Simon A likes this.
  21. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

This in fact throws a shadow of a doubt over BD's 5.1 track, since you might be better off with a 5.1 SACD actually (no DSD-to-PCM conversion there)...

22. Myke

Rather have a cigar.

23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

At least for those with 5 full range speakers all in the same distance from the listening spot, who don't need any bass management or time correction. :D

24. Myke

I seriously doubt my life would be changed in any major way. It's music, I listen to it, I enjoy it. I don't dissect it, I don't analyze it, I don't claim to master it in my basement, I leave that to the Hoffmans of the world to do that for me. I seriously doubt my ears would be able to discern the minute difference in the first place. I like the DSOTM Immersion set, including the Blu Ray with 5.1, and 4.0, and I expect I will like the WYWH set just the same. Cheers to all those that buy the SACD, it's nice to have choices in life. If I should ever come across one at a fraction of the price, I may then decide to buy it as well. Presently it is unnecessary.

25. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

The SACD was not stopped because the powers that be were unsure about the format. It was on hold due to contract issues. When the new contract was signed with EMI, it opened the door to all these new releases, including the SACD. But, yes, the SACD 5.1 was done long before the Blu-ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.