Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion - Got mine today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fra_pe, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

No, the menus play fine in 5.1., as well as the surround audio set-up check. But when i try to play the album in either 5.1. or Quad, it only plays in stereo. And yes, my system is properly set up with HDMI. I've never had these kind of problems before.

At least two other people in amazon.uk have had similiar problems.

2. jackfate9

jackfate9 Forum Resident

Can you tell if it is actually playing the correct track? On my OPPO, 5.1 is track 1, 2.0 is track 2, and 4.0 is track 3.

3. Doctor Flang

My Phillips shows every three track options as you mentioned, but only plays them in stereo. :realmad:

4. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

You will get better input if you fill out your profile info so we can see what equipment is involved.

Do you have other Blu-Ray audio discs with 5.1 tracks that work properly? Do you have a friend with a Blu-Ray machine that could help you verify that the disc is not defective.

5. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

yeah, sounds like those receivers handle DTS 5.1 but not 5.1 96/24 LPCM

anyone using an optical audio cable would also experience this.

6. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Finally got around to playing the live disc (CD #2). Great performance and great sound. 'Nuff said.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Brought it with me to the office to rip today, myself ! :righton:

8. Doctor Flang

I have Phillips BDP 3000 blu-ray player and Yamaha RX-V363 receiver. And yes, i'm using HDMI cables. Not excatly Rolls Royce, i know, but i've never had any trouble with blu-ray's 5.1. surround before - either Dolby Digital, DTS or HD Master Audio. (I just checked the blu-ray audio of Moving Pictures by Rush and it still performs beautifully.)

What is weird is that the background music of the disc menu does play in surround. As does the set-up check. It's the album that won't.

So the possible solution would be? :help:

9. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Then I guess we're on the same frequency because that's exactly what I did today. :)

10. Myke

Set the controls for the heart of the rip. :laugh:

11. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Norm,Sorry to hear of your situation.As a cancer survivor myself(stage 3 Non hodgkins lymphoma) It looks like you've already started to adopt a positive attitude.And that was going to be my advice.Stay positive and live for the moment.Based on my expereince attitude seems to be half the battle.And when you're feeling low play lots of your favorite music.Best wishes my friend.

12. Doctor Flang

I just checked again and you're probably right - i faced the same problem when i tried to listen to Moving Pictures in PCM 5.1.. DTS-HD Master Audio plays fine though.

What to do? :help:

And sorry everybody, i know i shouldn't be asking for technical help on this thread!

13. stevefish

stevefish Forum Resident

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've received my Immersion box and one of the discs (2) is a bit scuffed. I would like to verify the music data on the disc, but I need a checksum to do that effectively. Can someone who has an error-free, unscuffed copy make a checksum for that disc? I'd be happy to do the same for anyone with problems on their other discs (with the exception of the Blu-ray which I can't mount on my machine).

- Steve

14. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

I dont know..
    one thought: if you had a rip of the blu-ray material - you could then playback the 5.1 96/24 PCM via computer > hdmi > receiver.
    then you'd know for certain if its the blu-ray player or the receiver.

it is odd that your receiver handles 5.1 DTS-HD / 5.1 Dolby TrueHD yet rejects native PCM. I'm at a loss as to why this is.

15. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Norm, some great advice here...especially the music part. Music heals. Hang in there, we're all pullin' for ya, buddy.

16. Myke

Ed : Not cliche at all...enjoy every sandwich. Best wishes your way, keep enjoying this life we have, enjoy the music.

:cheers:

17. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I have few more thoughts. PM sent.

18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

"Ticket to Ride" on "Eclipse"

Yes, it's on the new remaster. The pitch change at the end of "The Great Gig in the Sky" is there too.

19. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

My best wishes, Norm. Music was "invented" centuries ago to uplift the spirit so crank up that DSOTM BluRay, or any other music for that matter! I am sure it will help you to go through this bad situation.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm not sure about that. I ended up with two boxes via Amazon. The inner boxes have a manufacture/packing date on them.

My original box was 8/25/11 and the discs were loose, and trashed.

My replacement box was 8/23/11 and the discs were still attached and look OK.

I think it's just more of how tough of a journey the boxes had, on the way to your house ;)

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just got my Immersion set of Dark Side and the Discovery boxset along with Dark Side-vinyl. 3 discs were loose on the box but none had really marks, so I was lucky.

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Buy 6 RCA analog jacks, that should do it. :righton:

23. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

It's just incredible to me that when they designed this set, NO ONE had the foresight to consider the discs getting dislodged, and possibly damaged, during shipping.

I would imagine that the design team, will be looking for new jobs shortly.

24. Dieu

Dieu Forum Resident

DTS-HD Master and Dolby TrueHD have a lossy core for playback compatibility. LPCM don't. So when you tried Moving Pictures, did you choose LPCM 5.1 or DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1? If you choose the second, what you really hear is the DTS lossy core. Logically, if you choose the LPCM 5.1 it will play stereo on your current setup.
    I had the same problem and I bought myself a Blu-Ray player with 7.1 analog out, good interconnects and I listen to HD sound in analog mode (Direct In).

25. Doctor Flang

That's excatly what happened! :righton:

Ouch. My wife will kill me this time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.