Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion - Got mine today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fra_pe, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

I just did a very quick A/B comparison switching between the 2 ch blu-ray on an oppo bdp-83se, and the 2 ch SACD on a Sony 5400... i too prefer the blu-ray so far. The low end on the blu-ray seems to have more weight and depth, and i never noticed this as a difference between these two players before. Looking forward to setting up a couple of rear speakers and trying out the quad mix...

Mike

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Dammit, my Immersion box has arrived and I don't get home for another 7 hours :(

3. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

This thread which has spectral images of both the SACD and Blu-ray 5.1 mixes implies that the Blu version was taken from a DSD source. If this is true, it doesn’t prevent additional mastering work from being performed, but if so, it does imply that the SACD is closer to the source.

4. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

This kind of confirms my suspicions the bootleg quad sounds much better than the official Blu-ray quad.

5. The marbles will be waiting...
    That thread's findings imply the Quad mix on Blu-ray is a new transfer taken from analog tape, not DSD. It's the 5.1 mix that appears to be taken from the 2003 DSD transfer.

6. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I don’t see how you arrived at that conclusion, as I was talking about the 5.1 mix only. Check the thread that I linked and the OP has a spectral image of the Blu-ray Quad mix that has full extension and shows no signs of DSD noise.

I see the Phantom beat me to it.

7. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Be that as it may ... the quad bootleg was a sonic revelation while the quad Blu-ray is a bit underwhelming by comparison ... or it just may be the quad Blu-ray was played through my Oppo BDP83-SE via HDMI cable while the quad bootleg is burnt as DVD-A and played through the sonically superior modded-to-the-gills Denon 3910 through 4 of the 6 analog interconnects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.