Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion - Got mine today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fra_pe, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Check ctyankee's post (#681)

2. ctyankee

ctyankee New Member

It's there on the 2011 CD. Besides cranking the volume, good headphones will do the trick. "Ticket To Ride" comes across as a bit of a joke we're not in on. It just sounds like a rather poor instrumental version of the song - a bit like being placed in the Blues Brothers movie - except rather than a muzak version of "The Girl From Ipanema" on the elevator ride, it's "Ticket To Ride."

3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Too cool!
    (no reply required)

I'm excited now!
    (like I wasn't B4/now back too your listing/thanks for the reply tho)

4. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

My DSoTM Immersion box arrived today after some confusion (moved and forgot to update my new shipping address).

For those ordering from Amazon, I'll note that one of the four discs at the bottom (Disc 1) was outside of its fixture. It has some minor scuffs, but nothing serious. I've played part of the Blu-Ray quad mix which as others have stated is amazing. Then I had to go teach. Right now, I jumped into the Wembley '74 liver version. I have a few different unreleased versions of this show and was never that impressed but this, as others have indicated, is a huge upgrade over anything I've heard (may as well be a different show) and I'm finding it very exciting (despite still wishing for Feb 18, 72 at Rainbow).

It will be a while until I work my way through everything, but at the risk of getting too personal I wanted to mention that the re-issue in this format could not have come at a better time for me. In recent weeks I've been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer (melanoma). My oncologist tells me that for those classified in my range the 5-year survival rate is 35%. As an otherwise healthy 38-year old, this has caused me to wrestle with questions of my own mortality and what exactly the experience of being alive really means on a level I've never engaged in previously. The theme of mortality -- one of several that thread the album -- in DSoTM has this album "speaking to me" in ways it never has before. Somewhat related, I remember Roger Waters once commenting in retrospect on the conceptual underpinnings of the album and how in each phase of life we're always preparing for the next stage. But then Waters tells us that he suddenly had this Eureka! moment where he declares, forget the preparation for the future, THIS is it. You've got to live right here and now. As a parallel, I remember that prior to my diagnosis whenever I was walking to work or where ever I'd be filled with anxieties and worries over what I needed to get done. But now, as cliche as it sounds, I'm just focusing on the walk and my surroundings -- the trees, the leaves, birds, the pitter-patter of rain...living in the here and now. I think there are some important connections in there, but I haven't figured it all out. Maybe through more listenings :)

5. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Wow. Very sorry to hear about the current state of your health. My dad was diagnosed with cancer several years ago, and I understand how painful it can be for you and your family to deal with. FWIW I too rediscovered a connection to this album that has really boosted my spirits this week. Ironically enough, the revelation came when focusing on the lyrics to Time. I made a conscious effort to not take advantage of the time I have right here and now with my wife and kids, which has been a real spiritual healing for me as well. I wish you well.

6. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

This is why albums like DSOTM are truly timeless (pardon the pun). It isn't just the spectacular music; it's the way it channels the deepest realities of the human condition, without filter.

The Great Gig in the Sky captures the ecstasy of both birth and death; Time speaks to the immutable conundrum of our transient existence; Money satirizes our lust for arbitrary wealth; and Eclipse is the summary of what has been, what is, and what will be. It's all there, in fine form, which is why it will always be my favorite Floyd album.

:thumbsup:

7. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

My box arrived today, all 4 discs were off the spindles, one was scratched. Already put in for a replacement from amazon. Think I'll keep the original and make one good set from the two and send the rest back.

8. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

With all of the returns that will be coming back to EMI for loose/scratched discs, it wouldn't surprise me, if we see a package redesign .. on the next run, or on the future releases.

9. Damauritz

Damauritz New Member

"You missed the starting gun" followed by Gilmour's wailing guitar really does it.

10. electricberet

electricberet Forum Resident

I hope you're right. There is precedent for this with the two different packaging choices for the Beatles Capitol Albums Vol. 2. They could offer a "just the music" version of the DSOTM box that would be cheaper to produce and better protect the discs. I'd buy that version.

11. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

???
    That line has always been easy to hear.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Very sad to hear about your cancer Norm. I wish you the best and a full recovery.

13. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

My copy arrived a couple hours ago. Surprisingly, all the discs were still in their spindles. After reading the reviews, looks like I'll have to find a Blu-ray player now.

14. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

My copy from Amazon arrived with all discs in the spindles. In fact they seemed to be on there fairly tight. Maybe they improved the quality at some point after a few batches.

15. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

:thumbsup:

Right. And although I've heard this album a hundred times at least, for some reason that line really hit home with me this time around. It really got me thinking about so many missed opportunities in my life and how much precious time I've wasted away.

16. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Norm, I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through and wish only the best for you and strength through all this.

17. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Wow Norm. Thanks for sharing and best wishes to you and your family. I appreciate your comments and observations.

18. nathan_h

nathan_h could be weirder

+1

Thanks. I hope you are right. Why do you think this?

19. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I'll give you a line that is not easily captured by mere mortals. However, I noted it first on this forum and believe I have singularly distinguished it. Yes, you heard it here first (from me) on the Steve Hoffman forum. :laugh:

When the second side opens with Money, listen ever so closely as the cash register says, "I'll take it." Yes, you will be hitting the repeat button on your remote in disbelief that you had never noticed that before. It's on there.

20. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

Norm, I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My thoughts are with you.

All the best and enjoy the box set!

21. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Best wishes to you Norm.

22. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I can't get the bluray play the album in 5.1. audio. DVD is ok. Anyone else got the similiar problems?

23. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

So, that's what it is! I have the flu and I thought it might be medication related.
    I haven't heard it before this 2011 version. Must try the 20th Anniversary one later. I had headphones on when listening.

24. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Do you mean it doesn't play at all? Or do you mean you're not getting 5.1 sound? Since it is PCM 5.1 audio, you must have an HDMI connection to your receiver or you must be using 6-channel analog outputs. If you try to use an optical or coax digital connection, the player will downmix to stereo.

25. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

DSOTM has somehow clicked for me just this week, after all the Floyd remasters attention, via my old 20th Anniversary CD. I've been listening to Floyd since I was a schoolkid, but somehow it didn't move me before. It now moves me even more after reading your words, especially as I'm the same age as you, and I wish you all the very best Norm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.