Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion - Got mine today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fra_pe, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I believe that is correct. The blu should have it all.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Vernon has a couple of these for sale...Brazilian quad vinyl.

3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I agree 100%

4. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Meddle and Animals Immersion sets are a must IMO. Everything else is just gravy. Pure gravy.

5. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

as well as the possible Piper / Saucerful set possibility that's been suggested in one of these recent PF threads, the only immersion set that holds my personal burning interest, although any of their Capitol / EMI LPs are worthy considerations as far I'm concerned ...

6. ctyankee

ctyankee New Member

With the 2011 CD release, some quick things I've noticed compared to other versions:

1. The timing of the cuts is different than on the normal reissue CD (1992?) particularly "Us And Them" and "Eclipse" For example, instead of the laugh followed by four pronounced drum beats on "Brain Damage" the cut is made during the laugh so that the keyboard (following the 4 drum beats) is no longer the first thing on "Eclipse."

It would be interesting to know how it is done on the newly released vinyl. Because the new transition would be significantly different listening experience and perhaps an odd one at that.

2. The release is significantly louder than the normal reissue CD or the Japanese "Black Triangle" release. That is neither good nor bad, just different.

3. Dialogue in "Eclipse" ... "there is no dark side of the moon, really, matter of fact, it's all dark" is quite easy to hear without headphones or high-end speakers. I remember people posting that they could hear some of it but couldn't get the full words using high-end head phones back in the day. So this has become magically more pronounced. Yes, this could be heard easily on the Black Triangle release (among others) but the better question becomes is it simply boasted volume and/or something else? No idea.

4. One noticeable difference between the Black Triangle release and the new release is The Beatles "Ticket To Ride" at the end. It was always clear that this was not a Beatles version of their song and now it is quite easy to hear that the version is akin to a rather poor instrumental version you might hear on an elevator.

7. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

My set came yesterday and the Parsons quad mix was the first thing I went for, because I have never heard it. Listened to the hi-res DVD version as I don't have my Blu-Ray player set up right now.

Granted it's been a few months since I've listened to the album on CD or vinyl (I have a black face CD among others and the SACD, as well as early US and UK vinyl and 30th anniv vinyl), but at first listen, I thought the quad mix seemed extremely detailed, especially the mid and upper-mid range. Not as heavy on the low end as the SACD mix. I intended to just focus on how the 4-channels were used compared to the 5.1 mix, but I ended up more amazed at how many little details seemed to pop out. Clare Torry's vocal had so much more depth than I remember from other versions. This mix was truly something special. Can't wait to hear it on Blu-Ray.

8. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Where is that? I've never heard this before.

St. Troy likes this.
  9. rgray_69

rgray_69 Forum Resident

I received my copy from Amazon today 2 of the discs were out of the spindle but luckily only disc 1 has minor scuff marks on it.

10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Or, a trip too "The Dark Side of the Moon"!!! :laugh:

11. Myke

Rumored to be at the very end. I say rumored because I myself have never heard it. Apparently, I missed it again Tuesday night when I played Disc 1 ?

Also have 2 Black Triangles, one TO one non TO, a Harvest Black Face, the SACD, a CD-R of the Parsons 4.0 mix, the MFSL, yet I've never heard it...:help:

St. Troy likes this.
  12. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

GREAT news!!!!
    Enjoy.
    Looking forward too my 1st ever quad mix "TDSotM" experience. :goodie:

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Mike,
    What's your take on the sound?
    Thanks.

14. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

I thought it was left off the press release by accident. If they listened to the "masses" The Wall box set would be much different by next year.

15. jukeboxexpress

jukeboxexpress Forum Resident

Got the 2 vinyl LP versions today from Amazon. I openned one and will keep the other sealed. The LP came with 3 posters, the stickers and the free mp3 download certificate.

16. Mike1055

Mike1055 Forum Resident

bought mine at Best Buy one disc off spindle but looks good another was on the spindle which came unglued from the box. I was able to press it back in place and all seems to be alright. I have only played disc 6, figured I start with the earliest version first.

17. RedRaider99

If you are familiar with the 5.1 mix, this quad mix is really different animal. Particularly interesting on the beginning of Time, where Nick's seems to be playing the Rototoms in or above your head, but then the drums come from the front after the intro. On 'Gig in the Sky' the piano is kind of back behind as well, but I think it works well there, sort of isolates the vocals up front. It's different than the way most 5.1 audio mixes are done now, but creates a cool atmosphere.

18. Myke

The CD sounded great, very clean and clear in it's detail.

The Blu Ray literally blew my mind. Best Blu Ray in my entire collection now.

The Live At Wembley fantastic. The bonus material on Disc 6 appreciated.

Marbles, postcards, ticket stub, scarf...made no sound at all. :laugh:

19. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Cool, thanks for your input!

20. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Just got mine and am playing the Quad mix. Brilliant. What an amazing work.

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Today I listened to DSOTM early mixes :cheers:

It was a great meeting :thumbsup:
    For me, it's the highlight of the set. Even better than listening to the Wembley Live version :agree:

These are not demos or outtakes. These are songs pretty much finished as we heared for the first time. So this is really another listening experience to the DSOTM, adding another mix listening to the stereo, quad and 5.1 :righton:

A quick track-by-track review

1- Breathe: it starts with keyboards but in a different (lower) key than the Em-A for the song. In fact they keobards intro goes down, like slowering-down the tape. Weird!
    Then full band. Pretty much the final 1973 mix, until few extra guitars come. Slide guitars are the same as we know. Voices are a bit louder, and these are the same as the ones used for the final mix.

2- On The Run: sound effects are more audible (footsteps, planes, breathing, etc). No voices but more effects and things going on. There're no explosions, no boom at the end. In fact there's a crossfade with Time's clocks

3- Time: It starts almost as the final mix we know. Drum solo is more audible (haven't compared 1:1 with the new remaster nor the Sax version which I own). Voices are the same as the take used for the final mix. I notice more ambience, more reverb on these. Something unusual. During Wright singing, there's no snare drum! Guitar solo is the same as the master take. Guitars on the "Breathe reprise" part are different, though. Keyboards too.

4- Great Gig in The Sky: Not voices during the intro ... and no female voices!
    So this mix is like a "backing track" listening.
    During the first "chorus" there's a male voice speaking that was rightfully removed on the final mix.

5- Money: The famous loop effect is a bit different. Rythm guitar (left channel) is more prominent. Bass lines are doubled with guitar, just like the final mix, but that guitar is more audible. Gilmour's vocal track sound the same as final mix, so does the famous sax solo. I hear more echo on that sax and on the guitar solo. During the "no reverb" part there's another guitar. Then the solo pan from left to right. At the end the same guitar plays the main riff until Gilmour sings. It sounds cool!
    No voices "chatting" at the end. What's happening during fade is way more audible. Us and Them organ fade in is part of Money, unlike final mix.

6- Us and Them: What a beautiful backing track at the beginning. Piano, sax, keyboards and bass. No drums during first bars. Then gradually drums and finally Gilmour's vocal track without the famous Us ...us ...us ... and Them ... them ... them ... Some piano and sax lines that aren't present on final mix.
    By far the most experimental mix of the album so far. In fact during "and who knows which is which and who is who" there's that delay effect, and it sounds quite unique.
    Overall is so different than the original (well, 1973) mix. Like on The Beatles' I Am The Walrus, we can listen and listen for hours and noticing something different every time we listen.

7- Any Colour You Like: Keyboards solo is the same. Rythm guitars and effects are more audible. Gilmour's voice (yes, there's a voice "singing" what the guitar plays) is much more audible.

8- Brain Damage: guitar lines are more prominent. Vocal takes are the same.
    Laughs are different! :D (no kidding!) and quite distracting because they stay during singing. They are really loud in the mix, and they come back during keyboards solo.

9- Eclipse: lead guitar really prominent. That guitar was removed on the final mix. Other than that mix is pretty similar than the final one. No "there's no dark side ..." voice and no hearbeats at the end

Well, hope you've enjoyed reading :agree:
    now enjoy listening :righton:

St. Troy likes this.
  22. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Why can't that documentary be anamorphic? I think this is silly, we're at least talking about blu-ray, not dvd.. missed opportunity in that area

23. RedRaider99

It's not a rumor, it is there... I think it's on the 20th anniv & later remaster. Not sure, but I don't think it was on those earlier versions you have. You have to really crank the volume at the end to catch it.

Has anyone confirmed if it's there on this 2011?

24. :goodie:My copy of the Immersion box just arrived and I can hardly wait to give the blu-ray a spin tonight at home...sounds like I'm in for an evening in Pink Floyd Heaven, judging from all the positive reports I'm seeing in this thread!!!:goodie:

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thank you... that was very very funny. Made me laugh out loud. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.