Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion - Got mine today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fra_pe, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

The Blu-Ray alone is worth the price of admission.

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Anyone know why the video footage for 'Set The Controls' has lava and ocean footage intercut over most of the last half? Was this at one point supposed to be used in the 'Pompeii' film or something? It's odd.

I tossed out all the plastic wraps for the coasters, marbles, etc., but I'm slightly balking at tossing out the foam. You guys keep yours after the box is on the shelf or do you consider it part of the package?

I gotta agree with shane here - I don't understand the logic of having the first four discs attached to the back of the box (so you have to remove all the contents to get to them) and having discs five and six just floating loose in cardboard sleeves. Did they not decide on how many discs would be in the set before designing it?

St. Troy likes this.
  3. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Kept the foam,threw out the plastic for the marbles,put em in the bag.Didn't open the coasters.
    Or the scarf.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You mean LOSSLESS DTS HD Master Audio?

5. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

All these boxes are made in the eu?

6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm pretty surprised they just shelved 'The Hard Way' - even if there's no place for it on the album (and there really ain't), it would have made a great non-LP b-side for the 'Money' single. Just imagine how many more copies of that single they could have sold if there was some incentive for the people who already bought the album.

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Mine claims the boxes were made in the EU, packaged in the USA, discs manufactured in Mexico, distributed in Canada by EMI sticker on the back - although the discs sure look USA-made to me. Maybe they mean just the Blu-Ray is Mexican?

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Sounds like a truly half-global effort! Dark side of the Earth (depending which side you are spinning on)? :)

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Let me be the first to call shenanigans on the Alan Parsons mix on disc six. It's just TOO different to be a real mix. It must be a composite of lots of mixes. It sounds like it was put together by the team that gave us Anthology 2

10. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

How could it be a fake mix? There's lots of reverb (typical or early mixes) so that the band could find the correct textures they wanted. The tracks are really similar to what they were playing live circa 1972 and in those Live at Pompeii studio shots.

I actually think it's not that much different, the mix is just a lot more muddy. All the effects, double tracking, EQing to each instruments/vocals/tracks were pretty much there already.

It is indeed, an "early mix".

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Just received a PM for a friend who helped with the Immersion box. I think this will answer some of our previous questions ...

The Travel Sequence (Track 15) unreleased studio recording was recorded November 1972 and not October 1973 - it was an unfortunate typo on the credit booklet.

Also, the Wembley November 1974 show was mixed from two shows - multi-tracks from the 15 November recorded on the Island Records Mobile and the 16 November from the master tapes of the BBC live mix. Further to that Phill Browns is credited as engineering - he didn't. He recorded and mixed it, Brain Humphries was the FOH engineer on all the shows.

St. Troy likes this.
  12. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Just listening to the early Dark Side mix....wow, those Abbey Road interviews really were the secret sauce on that album. It's not nearly the same without them.

13. Smiths22

Thanks for your answer 93curr, im pretty dissappointed about this i was expecting euro manufacturing.
    Could you please tell me where are the CD's made? the euro ones say made in the EU.

14. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Thank Ron! I was actually just getting ready to post in your forum as to why they would have recorded The Travel Sequence after the DSOTM sessions. Didn't make sense to me.

15. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I can't understand why they didn't include the full 'Roger The Hat' interview, is it an easter egg on one of the DVD's ??

16. Smiths22

Oh no they were made in the usa too..... selling mine...

17. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

The laughing on the early mix of Brain Damage sounds more like someone laughing while watching the Three Stooges rather than the demented laughter from the released album.

18. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

The 18 minute interview is an Easter Egg on the DVD. Go to the DSOTM 2003 documentary menu and wait for a triangle to appear on the left side.

19. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Spent a portion of the day listening to the Blu-ray disc. Started with the Quad version, then the Blu-ray uncompressed and then finally the stereo.

Each brings a different feel to the material. The stereo version that we all know and love still is the best but the blu-ray surround version is a very nice listen, lots of power.

The quad version isolates Gilmour's guitar parts that makes it a very unique listen. Plus the way the mix bounces around the room is more pronounced than the blu-ray surround which is fun.

20. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

As much as I found The Hard Way to be not necessarily worthy of Floyd's catalogue, there was still a vital and forward thinking quality to it, with the almost avant-garde rubber band bass line, not to mention the intermittent synth-like outbursts from sources I can't identify. The track reminded me of a particular German electronic reggae-themed album called Rastakraut Pasta that would come out years later, by Moebius and Plank. I also sampled the wine glasses track (from the forthcoming WYWH immersion set) and it sounded exactly like the synth intro for Shine On. Needless to say, I'm amazed at Floyd's ability to keep my jaw on the floor.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, I was really missing the demented laughter. It sounds like a mix of Mark Hamill's Joker laugh and Judge Doom from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".

22. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Passively listening, not really comparing the remasters to what I currently have, I will say that OBC and Animals do indeed sound great. Looking forward to doing a more critical comparison this weekend when the time permits.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Animals...my 32DP 360 is a LOT quieter, but not as detailed. This will be my BALLSY version now. Shine On version falls in the middle.

IMHO. :winkgrin:

24. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Excellent:righton:

25. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

The CDs in the US boxset were manufactured in Mexico.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.