Latest/recent DVD movies watched? Part 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mcow1, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alvin K

Alvin K Member

Red Cliff, quite bloody!

2. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Picture Bride (1994)

Director: Kayo Hatta
    Actors: Youki Kudoh, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Tamlyn Tomita, Akira Takayama, Yôko Sugi, Toshirô Mifune.

From Amazon: "Highly acclaimed by critics everywhere, this memorable story of passionate love is set amid the breathtaking scenery of a tropical paradise. With only a picture in hand, a beautiful young woman leaves behind all she knows for the far-off islands of Hawaii -- and an arranged marriage with a man she has never met. Though she initially regrets her decision, in time her new life on an island sugar plantation is filled with unexpected discovery and joy. Featuring Youki Kudoh (MYSTERY TRAIN) and Tamlyn Tomita (THE JOY LUCK CLUB), PICTURE BRIDE was the winner of the Audience Award for Best Dramatic Film at the prestigious Sundance Film Festival."

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      22.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The Searchers on Blu-ray - The great John Ford/John Wayne classic. Grade = A+

Last night: Good Hair on DVD. Interesting documentary about African American women and their quest for straight hair. Pretty good but it could have been better. There was a silly hair cutting contest with some bizarre contestants and I thought there was some interesting social commentary that was ignored or barely touched upon. Grade = C+/B-

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched The Stepfather on BD. I thought it an OK psycho, murder movie despite the lame soundtrack music.

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The Wolfman (2010)
    The Legend of Leigh Bowery

6. Rachael Bee

I just finished Hot Fuzz on BD. It plays like an NRA training film that went to muck and ended up a movie release... :laugh: It's hot enough fun.

7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Alice in Wonderland (2010)
    Book of Eli (2010)

Both good films. Recommended.

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Gimme Shelter on Blu-ray. Nice upgrade from the DVD.

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Cheap Trick at Budokan on DVD. This was originally filmed for Japanese TV. Video quality is okay but sound is pretty good. Nice to finally see the band live in action during the recording of their famous live album.

10. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

The Quiet Duel aka Shizukanaru kettô (1949)

Director: Akira Kurosawa

Actors: Toshirô Mifune, Takashi Shimura, Miki Sanjo, Kenjiro Uemura, Chieko Nakakita

Toshiro Mifune in his second of many film collaborations with Akira Kurosawa.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      27.5 KB
      Views:
  11. Rachael Bee

It was a hot afternoon so I stayed in to watch The Message on DVD. It's the story of Islam's beginning. It's one of the strangest films ever. What other film doesn't ever show the central character, in this case, Mohammed?

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Days of Heaven on Blu-ray. Absolutely breathtaking visuals on this one. If you want to see what Blu-ray is capable of check this one out.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

"The Message" and Robert Montgomery's "Lady in the Lake" are the cornerstones of 2nd person cinema. At least in the latter you see the main character a few times in reflection and as the narrator speaking to the camera.

Regards,

14. I recently picked up an animated film, 'Muhammad: The Last Prophet'. Although I haven't watched it yet I understand the title character doesn't appear on screen.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The Book of Eli

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Nice offbeat movie, Rose Byrne as usual doing a great job.

Bet the book is good, mayu read it soon.

[​IMG]

17. Rachael Bee

Muslims believe it's bad taste, well, probably worse than that for the messenger of god to be portrayed. In The Messenger, folks talk to the camera as if it's the prophet. Mohammend has several spokespersons in the film to get his messages across. You should get pretty much the same thing.

18. Rachael Bee

I've never seen Lady In The Lake. I'm not sure I want to unless she's a watery tart that hands out swords to knights.... :laugh: Robert Montgomery was good lookin' too.

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

He directed the film, too, so letting the camera do most of his physical acting probably made his job easier. It's based on a Raymond Chandler Philip Marlowe story and is included in the third volume of the Warner Film Noir Classics Collection series.

20. I think it is a pretty good film, certainly worth watching.

21. Rachael Bee

I put in a Tivo search for it and see for myself, eventually.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Whip It, on Blu-Ray. A moderately enjoyable, if predictable, coming-of-age moving where its setting in the quirky world of Austin Roller Derby is the hook. A lot like other movies such as Breaking Away, an unavoidable--but not wholly detrimental--comparison since Daniel Stern is in both movies. I suspect the connection was one of the reasons for casting him in the father role. It could have come off as a pale imitation of better movies, but the acting and direction helps it rise above (as long as you don't think too much about those better movies).

John K.

24. Rachael Bee

I watched Tombstone on BD.

25. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I did, too. It hasn't aged well for me: It now seems too stagy and self-conscious for its own good.

John K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.