Latest/recent DVD movies watched? Part 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mcow1, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

....so, now you like to watch too... :laugh:

2. Rachael Bee

I watched Kick-A$$ on BD this afternoon. It was amusing. I didn't care so much about the ending. I liked the soundtrack more than the actual film.

3. gegates

gegates Forum Resident

"Moon" on Blu - wow, what a great film - had to watch it twice!

"Shutter Island" on Blu - suspenseful, but overall kind of disappointing...

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The Hills Run Red (1966)

[​IMG]

5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Neil Young: Heart of Gold

Very, very few concert films hold up to repeated viewing IMHO.

This one of them. :edthumbs:

6. I liked the film but I can see Roger Ebert's point--if the film is a satire (which it was meant to be to a certain extent even if it is based on a graphic novel--that grahic novel kind of made fun of superheroes in general), it's a brutal, dark satire much like "A Clockwork Orange".

The scene where Hit Girl kills an entire roomful of men was a bit disturbing but it works on two levels--and reminds me of the over-the-top gore in a film like "Hot Fuzz".

On the other hand seeing the villian beating a little girl to a pulp--well that was strange in a mainstream movie like this. It certainly made the character doing it (played by Mark Strong) less than likable (not that he was someone you would like in the first place). The problem was that the satire when it was on was very on target but it often wasn't on target.

I had to chuckle with Nicholas Cage's first appearence as "Big Daddy" looking like Batman and delivering his dialog in the manner of Adam West...

7. Rachael Bee

Wayne, I thought Kick-A$$ flowed very nicely till the last 20 minutes. At that point I got the impression they likely had at least a half-dozen endings and the one they used was lacking in some respects. I was left wondering about one key character. I kept imagining ending variations where that wasn't the case and could of been scenarios.

I like the film as a whole. The end is a bit sore though. I liked the music a lot.

8. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

"Happy Accidents" from netflix.

The transfer had lots of dust and dirt in it (especially toward the beginning), but the film was entertaining. There were a few very funny scenes.

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Stevie Nicks - Soundstage Live on Blu-ray

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I had a similar (if less strong) reaction to Ebert. There is an extra layer of abstraction in the comic in the sense that you know that the actions of Hit-Girl and the obscenities in the word baloons were drawn and written by grown-ups with satirical intent. For the movie, they actually had to hire a kid to act-out and say those things, and it does not quite have the same ironic distance for me. It might have something to do with my being the father of three daughters, too. :)

I agree that Nicolas Cage had some great moments in this one. I give him credit for pushing himself as an actor to weird places that sometimes work and sometimes are complete disasters.

Regards,

11. Rachael Bee

I though Cage had a sheepish, blank kind of thang goin' on. It's like I'm a comic book character and I have no depth. I mean, he wouldn't of screamed even if he was on fire... :laugh: Le monotone, oui.

12. Rachael Bee

Today I watched It's Complicated on BD. The film was remarkably not complicated. 2 guys want one girl, how original, not. It was funny in places.

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

An Education on Blu-ray. Nice little movie starring Carey Mulligan who has the makings of a big star. This was nominated for best picture too. B+

alexpop likes this.
  14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Where the Wild Thing Are on Blu-ray. It didn't do a lot for me. I enjoyed the book when I was a kid but there wasn't a lot there to base a whole movie on. It looked great but it didn't have that much of a real story to it. Grade = C

15. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Slap Shot on DVD. One of my favorite sports movies.

16. Rachael Bee

...an', I bet you brought your F-ing toys! :laugh::thumbsup:

17. Rachael Bee

I watched Manhattan Melodrama on LD. It's got Gable, Powell, and Loy.....the power trio.

18. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

"She's Out Of My League" on blu ray. It was much better than I had anticipated and the city of Pittsburgh has never looked so good.

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

My favorite scene is when the bus driver is putting holes in the side of the team bus with a sledge hammer and he says "I'm making it look mean." :D

20. Rachael Bee

:agree: ...I like that one and I'm sure Eddie Shore would'a too.

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The Hideous Sun Demon (1959)

Pretty awful monster flick , nice locations though

[​IMG]

22. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I thought this was good as far as PQ & SQ. (I hope you got it at Sears clearance price. I think I paid less than $9.00.)

23. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

It is mine. :cheers:

Old Time Hockey.

24. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I actually picked it up from an Amazon seller for about 5 bucks. It was new, sealed in the package too.

25. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

:cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.