Japan Single layer SACD : "Who's Next" "Aja" "The Velvet Underground & Nico" 6/23

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by misterbozz, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. art

art Senior Member

Been listening to the new Aja SACD, compared it to Hoffman's old MCA cd, which, until now, was the best on disc to me. That Cisco Lp someone was talking about earlier must be incredible. Never heard it.

Through Harbeth speakers using a stereo-only SACD/CD Luxman player, which images frighteningly well anyway, the SACD's very 3D, more so than the old disc. Though it has more gain, it doesn't sound compressed, and the soundstage is big, front to back, side to side, behind the ears. And it doesn't sound any less like it's from a master tape than did the MCA CD, except maybe on "Deacon Blue," which is a touch inferior. The Japanese disc is fatter, even sharper (not in the good way), in the mids and sometimes sounds a tiny bit "congested," as someone pointed out earlier. But it is surprisingly well mastered. The guy at Universal Japan worked hard to do less.

As incredibly well-recorded as Aja is, it had always missed, to me, that certain sparkle and sustain of notes and rhythm of a true master -- at least on all the various CDs I've heard -- as if the multi had some wear from too many passes during recording, or the two-track master is a dub. Or something. Whatever. Maybe I'm deaf.

The Hoffman CD is great, mastered in slightly warmer tones than the SACD, and is, perhaps, a tiny bit more open in spots. Shows Hoffman's better at mastering. But the new disc wins in imaging, depth and low end; it sounds more like an SACD version of the album.
    Of course, my stereo is different than yours.
    VU next ...

2. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Not drawing conclusions, it was my opinion that it is not a lot of money. Not sure where you got that, Keith.

I am just tired of hearing about the cost, I just want to hear opinions about the sound.

Considering what some people spend on cigs, alcohol and eating out with the family, I don't find $50 on a cd a lot.

Again Keith, that is just my opinion. I hardly think that is drawing conclusions on someones earning capacity.

This forum is here for posting opinions , just as some here think $50 on this sacd is a lot.

Lets not go over board and start accusing people of saying things they did not.

3. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

That sounds great!!! :righton:

Thanks for the review.

4. Funny thing is that I would easily spend $50.00 for a new LP and think it was a good deal, but spending $50.00 on an optical disc (CD or SACD) just seems a lot less reasonable to me. That being said, probably the median price I've spent on used DCC CD's is around $60.00. However, you are assured on the quality of those. I'd rather not spend $50.00 on a crapshoot. That's why I'm waiting to hear the reports of the sound quality of these SACD's by people whose ears I trust.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Then why did you say folks who think $50 is a lot should "stop crying about the price"?

I'd be even less likely to spend $50 on a new LP...

6. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident

I'd really like to get some opinions about how the new SHM-SACDs of "461 Boulevard" and "At Fillmore East" compare to the previous SACD releases.

I suppose that the new DSD mastering of "Every Good Boy Deserves Favor" will beat the previous SACD release, so I'd like to know how it compares to whatever forum members consider to be the best sounding version.

7. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Australia.

9. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:agree:

10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Is there an emoticon for "Waiting on delivery?"

this one's too angry: [​IMG]

This one seems too cross - [​IMG]

This one's too old school: :-w

This is the closest I found: [​IMG]

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Same here. Besides the fact that I don't enjoy the ritual involved with playing records, I don't want to deal with bad pressings (surface noise), which seems to happen too often with new releases.

13. KeithH

14. KeithH

You made salary an issue. You said:

What a ridiculous statement to make. $50 is a lot of money for many people who work. Regardless, my point was that $50 may be considered a lot of money to spend for a disc even by those who readily have it to spend. It's not just whether you have it. It's also the perceived value for your money. If you are used to spending $20 or less for a new disc, then $50 is a lot, maybe too much. Not everyone is willing to spend money just because they have it.

Now, back to the discussion of the sound...

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Thanks.
    Your assessment is very good. Probably the fact that I listened to the Cisco LP first colored my view of the SACD.

Contrary to you, I found the low end to be a bit 'tubby'..and not as tight as the LP, which I know you haven't heard.

16. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

My general strategy is to try and get it from CD Japan first.

If they're out, and by that I mean all pre-orders were already sold out well before release date as was the case with Wishbone Ash "Live Dates" SHM CD, I'll then wait 'til release date and see if I can get from neco_kick or eiselvis at a slight but not unreasonable markup from CD Japan's price.

If they don't have it or are sold out and I still want it, I know I'll have to pay through the nose to acquire it from other reliable Japan-based sellers like quicksilverlove or a few others.

So, the moral of that story is the early bird (or wisened night owl) etc.

17. I didn't say my position makes any sense! I just seem to think that from a value proposition, $50 for an audiophile LP isn't *that* bad, and I am less hesitant to throw that kind of dough at vinyl than at a CD or SACD. Just personal preference, that's all.

18. I don't engage in any "ritual," unless that ritual includes remove the record from the sleeve, placing it on the turntable, and placing the needle on the record. :D

Anyway, I am getting the idea--from the two reviews posted so far--that the SACD falls somewhere between Steve's disc and the Cisco LP in terms of sound quality. Not bad (that's an understatement)! Bring on more reviews!

19. KeithH

That's what I do, but I know it's not the best way to deal with some records. I don't have a $5,000 record cleaner, demagnitizer, voodoo dolls, and all the other stuff that contribute a two-hour preparatory process just to listen to 25 minutes of music.

(This is just sarcasm. I'm having fun with all our vinyl fans. :))

As for the Aja SACD, if it beats the early MCA CDs, which sound great to me, then it's well worth having.

20. art

art Senior Member

The VU SACD is great. Did you listen?

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

As much as I DO love Aja (own several formats/copies myself ), will somebody please chime in about The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East ?!?!?! :wave:

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

which of the 25+ re-issues would you like to know about?

23. efil2159

efil2159 Forum Resident

... sorry but here's more fuel for "Aja".

My "Aja" SACD arrived today and after listening to it several times, I felt the same way although the only other version I have for a comparison is (c)1999 CD.

At the same time, what is written in the liner notes is rather intriguing to me.
    First of all, the writer compares three different pressings of "Aja" vinyl by ABC records and one by Cisco.

They are:
    AB-1006 1A/1A Promo
    AA-1006 A/B
    AA-1006 1C/1B
    &
    2007 Cisco

He claims that the promo sounds like sonic nirvana and even the Cisco LP is not satisfying enough if you dare compare it to the promo.

Next, he compares this SACD with 2000 remaster CD and rates the SACD very highly with comments like "this SACD sounds more powerful than the 2000 remaster and even when crank it up, it stays stress-free to these ears", "the depth of snare drum can be felt vividly which is not the case with 2000 remaster", etc. (I concur with these observations.:agree:)

And finally he proclaims that you can enjoy "soaking up" the sounds of this SACD, just like when spinning the promo LP, rather than just "listening" to it.

By which, I kind of feel, he is meant to say "Aja" SHM-SACD sounds almost as good as the best vinyl version of it, i.e., the promo LP does (but not better).

Hmm...

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Dude...what thread are we in ??? the just released SHM SACD !!!

25. art

art Senior Member

What year are we in?(!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.