Japan Single layer SACD : "Who's Next" "Aja" "The Velvet Underground & Nico" 6/23

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by misterbozz, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Comparing SACDs and LPs is never easy especially I someone has a pretty good vinyl rig and a "as good" or "less good" SACD player.I looked at your profile and I'm not inferring that as your comparison is concerned but just pointing out quality of equipment matters as well.

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I agree, I don't hear compression, brightness or loudness either.

I am currently listening to the Velvet Underground SACD, and it sounds nice, again similar in overall sonic signature to the Aja disc, not as "open" sounding as I would like, but overall a smooth response - yet the low end has a tad "bloat" to it instead of being tight.

The Velvet Underground is no where near a sonic marvel to begin with, and the only other version I have is in the Peel Slowly and See Box set.

One thing I can say.. the SACD does have a somewhat "analog" quality to the sound if that means anything. :winkgrin:

3. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Don't think so.In 2009 Universal issued new remasters for the early part of the RS catalog so I believe they (could be tweaked) versions of those not the '98 ones you're referring to.This is based on the description from the CD Japan website-2009 mastering.

4. MikeT

I agree. My system is not "high end" in many respects. I have an MMF-5 turntable with the upgraded Goldring stylus and I guess you could say that either my BDP-83SE Blu-ray/SACD player and Sony XA777ES are "as good" SACD players (maybe better in some respects).

I also agree that comparing LPs and SACDs is almost like comparing apples and oranges.

On the other hand, I usually can tell good sound quality from mediocre sound quality overall. Maybe I miss some of the smaller details of what might make one version better or worse than another (since it is more than possible my system can't resolve every nook and cranny of the recorded media I throw at it).

But so far, after listening to Aja and now more than half-way through Velvet Underground (listening to both on the Oppo BDP-83SE via the stereo analog outputs), I am not so sure that $50 is worth the price of admission for these SACDs. If they were $20 to $30 I would probably recommend them without any hesitation... but $50.00... not so sure.

Continuing on with the Velvet Underground, I really feel that the bass drum and bass is a tad bloated and even "fatiguing".

I guess my anticipation on what these would sound like got the better of me, and my initial reaction is that they don't sound as good as I would have hoped.

I look forward to see what others say about these discs. Mine is only one opinion, and it may not be in accordance with what others may feel when they hear these discs. (It could also be the day, my level of stress after a hard day at work, and many other factors that are affecting my feelings. But that said, I was sure taken with the Aja Cisco LP, with the SACDs not as much.)

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thank you MikeT for your many posts on this. Much appreciated.

6. efil2159

efil2159 Forum Resident

...I googled. Apparently the green labeled disc is called "On-shou"(er... Mastersound as On = sound, sonic; Shou = master, virtuoso) and originally developed by Sony for better sound on DVD-R disc.

http://www.sony.co.jp/Products/Media/dvdmedia/Accucore/DVD/Premium_Grade/technology.html

Although the Sony site doesn't explain why it has to be green, it boasts that "special ink label coating" enhances the reproducibility of the sound of original source.

Well, I have no idea what it really means but it might be related with a theory of green absorbs red or something perhaps.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have the Cisco LP, but I'll get the SACD anyway because my turntable is pretty well average (Sony PS-LX350H). The SACD could sound better in my system.

8. MikeT

Well as I joked earlier in this thread... it could be similar to the "green pen" tweak certain audiophiles have perpetrated on CDs for years. It was thought that placing green ink on the sides of a CD it somehow absorbed the stray light bouncing off from the laser when it reads the disc:

http://www.snopes.com/music/media/marker.htm

9. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I thought I read Naim paints the inside of their cd players a certain color to absorb stray laser light and then there's this tweak from Machina Dynamica:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina34.htm

Honestly don't know if it works or not.

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I painted the inside (tray) of my first CD player (budget NAD player - 1992) with a green water-based poster paint (Uni Posca marker) when I first played with the "green paint" tests.

It certainly improved the sound. I think that tweak has the most effect on the cheap players. On a decent player, the effect are negligible.

Back to the green SACDs - they certainly look cool.

11. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

There's something in the color, but it's really subtle; file next to differences in identical pressings. The pen did something, but was too much trouble. I don't bother any more.

Ah, home of the clock and the pebbles. I think the colored inserts are far more likely to have an effect. Curiously, I have heard certain objects *degrade* the sound of a system. Don't put stuff near or on top of your speakers.

12. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

13. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

CDJapan have just sent me a 1300 yen voucher because I ordered 6 of the SHM-SACDs. Thats nearly 10% discount. Nice.:righton:

14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I might not open mine or play it if I don't read a positive review on these discs.

15. MikeT

they aren't really sealed. The plastic outer cover is closed but easily opened and resealed. You can open it easily and reseal it easily. Listen and let us know what you think.

16. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

A question to lucky owners of these SACDs
    Please tell me would you spent your 50$ or probably more on VU & Nico SACD if you already have Peel Slowly and See Box and Deluxe Edition Double CD?
    Imagine it has no collector's value, don't care about the packaging and SHM thing e.t.c., only sound matters.

What do you think?
    Thanks in advance.

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

18. azmodien

azmodien Member

Yes, more VU reviews please. The others albums already have many good sounding versions. The MFSL version is the best I have heard for this one.

19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

You guys are acting like $50 is a lot. I have spent $50 on cds some of you would think are not worth $5.

$50 is not a lot of money if you work.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Huh?

I work. I consider $50 quite a bit for a single disc. Just my humble opinion, but for $50 something either better sound so much better than any other version it isn't funny, or offer something entirely unique. Although even then I can't recall often spending more than $30 for either of those things.

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Many forum members work very very hard and use $50 to feed their family.

The topic of this thread is to compare CD masterings, not salaries.

22. KeithH

Any more reviews of the Aja SACD? Has anyone compared it to the early MCA CDs?

23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Then they should stop crying about the price.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm finding this all very fascinating...esp. the pictures. I pre-ordered Who's Next back on 05/10, and have to wait another 55 days+ for my release, so I'm living vicariously through you guys.

also, how many people that complain about prices spend money on cigarettes and booze ?

25. KeithH

Not everyone who complains about the price of a disc is unable to afford it. Some people can readily spend $50 for a disc but simply don't feel a disc is worth $50.

I understand the complaints about the price of these SHM-SACDs, but at the same time, people just need to accept it. Complaining won't change it. SHM-CDs are not cheap, and it should be no surprise that the SHM-SACDs are even more expensive.

In short, constant complaining about the price is a distraction and needs to stop, and drawing conclusions about the earning capacity of those who complain is unfair and inappropriate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.