Japan Single layer SACD : "Who's Next" "Aja" "The Velvet Underground & Nico" 6/23

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by misterbozz, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

bru87tr,

Your review was fine. Made me look forward to my WHO'S NEXT release next month...when you speak of the drums, I think of Moonie's thunder on my favorite album... patience Mike...patience.

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Did you say that?

3. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Yes,I said that-why purchase an SACD or cd JUST because of sound quality if your tired of the music? It is for that reason I traded my SACD of Pink Floyd-Dark Side of The Moon and sold off my Alan Parsons DVD-As.

4. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I hope I don't regret not buying Who's Next. I took a chance on Aja cause I thought there would be a good chance it could sound good.

I am not so sure about Who's Next and why I skipped it.

I hope I did not make the drum sound, sound flawed on this SACD. It's just not what I would have preferred. Its not a bad sound, just not as tamed as I would have liked. At times on different songs it actually sounds quite good.

It is hard comparing two different masterings and formats. Especially where SACD has so much more resolution.

The original cd does sound more natural and an easy listen. I guess if you are use to the original cd you might be disappointed by the SACD, I try not to let that influence my opinion unfairly.

I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed by this SACD, but I am sure someone will be. :)

I am listening to it a second time, so it cannot be all that bad. :D

5. Myke

I am listening to it a second time, so it cannot be all that bad.

My thought the other night about the Blu Ray of MOJO. I just let it repeat, and repeat, and...:agree:

6. Myke

Called my son about a Kanye West vinyl for sale in the Classifieds last night...his response, " I've already got a CD of it I don't listen to." :laugh:

7. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Most Rock/Pop SACDs have gone up just because they're oop and most likely Blue-Ray for Audio only isn't going to take off anytime soon.A word of warning to those waiting on reviews and the like-when its says limited edition it most likely is just that.When Sony for instance issued Sade-Diamond Life and The Clash-London Calling Blue Spec cds they were deleted BEFORE the date of release-once the amount of orders reached the limit of the production run-they were gone-and despite the popularity of these titles have not been reissued since.

8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

On a new disc, you really have to spend some time with it.

If it sounds bad, I wont listen a second time and probably will never pull it again.

Because the SACD sounds different, you really need to do a critical listen. I knew it sounded good from the beginning, but the more I listen to it, I realize its really good and I cannot let the original cd influence what I am hearing.

The SACD definitely sounds great!!! Some things I would change for my specific taste ? Sure, but in general this is a SACD that hit really well. It is def one of the better SACDs I own.

I can't wait for other opinions.

I hope Who's Next sounds terrible so I don't regret not buying it. ;)

BTW: This is easily worth the $50 I spent on it. Especially compared to what I have spent on other SACDs I own.

9. art

art Senior Member

Good point, if I do geek out for a second. For me the new Aja was even a bit better the next day with fresher ears. I think it best of all digital versions.

10. Myke

hope Who's Next sounds terrible so I don't regret not buying it. ;)

We'll be fighting in the streets...with our children at our... HEY ! :biglaugh:THEN ORDER IT NOW !!!!!

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Are these new SHM SACD's, true DSD transfers? I abandoned SACD a few years ago (sold discs and players) after it was revealed that many re-issues were sourced from PCM masters.

12. art

art Senior Member

yup.

13. Right. I mean, more people's impressions. No one else has described a sound that was marred by compression except for that one guy's review, where he noted that vocals, guitar, and reverb trails were more pronounced, yet the snare and bass drums did not have the impact of the Japan-for-US CD. Classic effect of compression. Not good.

That being said, I am glad that the other reviewers in this thread have not reported these same sonic ills.

I am waiting for other people whose opinions I trust to chime in. I'm not saying I don't trust the opinions of the people who have posted thus far, but I am not familiar with them and therefore have no frame of reference as to what their tastes are regarding mastering styles.

14. art

art Senior Member

the guy also uses Kef Q90 speakers.

15. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

What is wrong with PCM masters?

Tim

16. Sure, but inexplicably, some do not. It matters just how limited the pressing is and how great future demand for it will be. Therefore, only time will tell if the value of these SHM-SACD's will go up.

Thinking about music media as an "investment" is a bad idea, IMHO. I know that earlier statement was made tongue-in-cheek, but realistically, no one is going to get rich selling their out-of-print SACD's, unless they are a music retailer and have a stock of hundreds of each title.

17. Nothing, if they are hi-res PCM masters. However, some SACD's were sourced from 16/44.1 PCM masters which were then converted to DSD. Those SACD's have no additional resolution over the standard CD's and therefore do not sound any better than the standard CD's, and could conceivably sound *worse* due to transcoding artifacts introduced in the PCM-to-DSD conversion.

18. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

It may just well be.

I am on my 3rd listen and I do feel more enveloped in the music.

The original does sound a bit narrow compared to the SACD. Not that the original is, but compared to the SACD, the SACD sounds much wider.

19. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Ah yes. Sourcing from 16/44 is rather pointless. Rumour has it that Brothers in Arms was like that.

Tim

20. Claude

Claude Senior Member

What are you listening to now? Original master tapes?

21. Right, they are older speakers with that BBC sound, a little congested in the midrange and a little bloated in the midbass, but accurate on top. Actually, I am only assuming that the Q90 exhibits the KEF house sound, as I have not heard a pair. Not sure how that would affect his comparisons of the CD vis a vis the SACD, though.

22. tomd

tomd Senior Member

The ones that do not-where the ones that nobody wanted in the 1st place.Doesn't take a genius to realize Steely Dan is going to sell more SACDs than let's say a MOFI Pixies SACD.I wish Warner Bros realized this-there would have been a lot less "flops" when it came to DVD-A :sigh:

23. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I wonder what the debut album on SACD will sound like....:angel:

24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

The snare and bass drums def have an impact. I find the original cd more laid back and smooth, blending with the music.

The SACD has power and the drums def stand out, not in a bad way. I just think on some of the songs I wish it was tamed a tad, it does not make or break the disc.

In some ways the drums sound better, but I find it was a song by song basis.

Being an ex-Drummer (only cause I have not played in years and yet to get a new set) I tend to be a bit more critical when listening. :D

25. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Wasn't the Norah Jones SACD also like that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.