What is your favorite Rolling Stones Studio Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jacob Bailis, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob Bailis

Jacob Bailis New Member Thread Starter

I'm not familiar with the U.K albums so I only included the U.S. albums. Sorry about that. If I missed your favorite, just vote other and say.
    Anyway, my favorite is Beggar's Banquet. The slow version. What's yours? :)

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Beggar's Banquet

3. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

My favorites (in order):

1. Sticky Fingers
    2. Let it Bleed (a very close 2nd)
    3. Beggars Banquet
    4. Exile on Main Street

4. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

My favorite is "Let it Bleed"

5. cdice

cdice New Member

Pretty much agree with the post a couple above... if I had to pick my favorite four:
    Let It Bleed & Sticky Fingers would be a dead tie for #1. Then, #2 Beggar's Banquet, #3 Exile on Main Street.

6. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

Exile. The original LP is my favorite version - both CD versions I have are good too, although the mix is much less murky sounding (and I like the murk).

Although I don't know all their first six albums, I like most of their stuff up to and including Tattoo You - since then I've lost interest.

7. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I picked "Some Girls," but "Satanic Majesty" and "Voodoo Lounge" are close.

JEFF!

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

:righton:

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

My two favorite Stones albums are not from the 1968 - 1972 period.

The U.S. version of Out of Our Heads, with The Last Time, Satisfaction, and Play with Fire added to the U.K. tracklist is my favorite Stones album, bar none. To me, this was the highpoint of the Brian Jones-era Stones, with an unbeatable twin-guitar attack from Brian and Keith. I enjoy songs such as Lady Jane and Paint It Black, but I think the Stones lost something when they (briefly) moved away from amped-up rock and roll towards Beatles- and Kinks-influenced pop over the next two years. The soul covers on Out of Our Heads, such as Mercy Mercy, That's How Strong My Love Is, and Good Times, are surprisingly convincing - Jagger was really trying hard to sing at the level of his African-American heroes on this album. And The Spider and the Fly and The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man feature some of the wittiest lyrics Jagger ever wrote.

My other favorite Stones album is Steel Wheels. I dismissed this album without giving it a real chance when it came out, but it features maybe my two favorite Stones tracks ever in Mixed Emotions and Almost Heard You Sigh. Slipping Away may be the Best Keith Ballad Ever, and Can't Be Seen With You is another great Keith track. I think that the Ron Wood - Keith guitar interplay is at its best throughout this album. This album also scores sentimental points for being the last "real" Stones album. I think most Stones fans had come to accept that the second guitarist slot was a revolving door, but something was lost, for me anyway, when Bill Wyman left the group.

10. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I love all the albums from 1966 - 1983, but Some Girls tops my list.

11. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

1) Let it Bleed--a perfect record--absolutely no filler IMO.
    2) Tie between Sticky Fingers and Exile
    3) Beggar's Banquet

12. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

This is like one of those "choose your favorite child" questions.

But, when asked this, my answer is always "Beggars Banquet."

13. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

The UK Aftermath.

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The Stones have a lot of perfect albums, but my sentimental favorite is The Rolling Stones, Now!

15. stever

stever Senior Member

"Beggar's Banquet." "Let it Bleed," is a very close second.

16. While Sticky Fingers is more accomplished, I just have to go with Beggar's Banquet. It was such a breakthrough for that band. I love Keith's crude cassette-recording technique, the sleaze of "Stray Cat Blues", the slide on "No Expectations", and my all-time favorite, "Sympathy for the Devil". Essentially, Brian's last hurrah. My wife even likes it.

17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

let it bleed

18. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Beggar's Banquet...when the boys grew up and became a ROCK band. :righton:

19. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

1) Sticky Fingers - practically perfect in every way.

2) Exile On Main St. - Not quite perfect, sprawling, messy, and absolutely wonderful.

3) Beggar's Banquet - The most coherant album, both sonically and musically, and almost as good as the above two.

Jeff

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The only way Let It Bleed could be any better for me is if it had "Honky Tonk Women" on it instead of "Country Honk." Even with that caveat, for me it is the definitive Stones album.

21. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

Their Satanic Majesties' Request for myself. I always thought "The Stones" trying something different was for me. That said, I guess Exile would be #2.

Brian

22. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I guess I have to stay with the group and say that the four from "Begger's" to "Exile" are my faves. I still have a special place for "Buttons" (Connection!) though.
    :righton:
    Peace-
    Norm

23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Can I retract my vote? I voted for Aftermath before I saw you were referring to US LPs. I was voting for the UK Aftermath, not the travesty that was released here!

24. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Sticky fingers

25. Jacob Bailis

Jacob Bailis New Member Thread Starter

I don't own any of the UK versions. I love the US version of Aftermath, and like Beatles '65, it will probably never be displaced by any other version. :)

What is your favorite if it's not Aftermath?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.