What is your favorite Rolling Stones Studio Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jacob Bailis, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Beggars Banquet, followed by LIB, Sticky, and Exile. What a run at that time.

2. strick77

strick77 Member

Sticky Fingers...then Exile...Let It Bleed and Beggar's tie for 3rd.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree that it's as close to perfect as the Stones have ever come. Indeed, with "HTW" instead of "CH" - the only song on it that I skip - I'd probably have picked it. Nonetheless, "Bleed" is easily the Stones' most consistent album.

Which means it SHOULD have been my pick, but it's not. I went with "Exile". It's less consistent, and I can't even claim that its highs surpass those of "Bleed". Granted, "Rocks Off" and "All Down the Line" are my two fave Stones songs, but would I claim they're better than "Gimme Shelter" or "You Can't Always..."? Nope.

There's just something about "Exile" that makes it the best Stones albums. It's one of those "the whole is more than just the sum of its parts" things...

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Banker's Begguet! :D

5. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Sticky Fingers. Then Beggars Banquet & Let it Bleed

6. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

Satanic Majesties for me, followed by Buttons and Beggars :)

7. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

1. STICKY FINGERS

2. US versions of: Out of Our Heads, Between the Buttons, Flowers

3. Goats Head Soup

4. Exile

5. Let It Bleed

6. Beggars Banquet

followed by the rest of the 60's stuff

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I had a hard time deciding between 'Exile' and 'Aftermath.' I went with 'Exile.'

(though the part of me that always supports the underdog wanted to go with 'Satanic Majesties')

can't believe NOONE voted for 'Only Rock n Roll' yet. I still pull it out just to play 'Fingerprint File' occasionally. I have NO problem believing that no one voted for 'Flowers', however. what? no 'Metamorphosis'?

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

today it's Sticky Fingers. (although I have Let it Bleed in the car changer for the ride home, so tomorrow I may have a different answer!) :p

10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Hard time deciding between Exile and Out of our Heads. Flipped and coin and Exile won. I liked all of their albums up to Aftermath, then it mostly went downhill for me, they were trying too hard to be a 'rock' band. I liked the combo of rock, soul, blues, ballads and straigh ahead rock n roll of the early 60's. Exile is the exception, a mess, a total unrehearsed, unpretentious album.

11. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

1. sticky fingers. 2. let it bleed 3.some girls 4. emotional rescue

12. Jacob Bailis

Jacob Bailis New Member Thread Starter

There were only 25 poll options allowed. :(
    I suppose I should've included the UK version of Out Of Our Head, Aftermath, and Between The Buttons. People seem to care about those more than, say, the 90's albums. I realize that most of the early Rolling Stones albums are also songs from EP's and singles etc. And I know Flowers, which is one of my favorite albums ever, isn't even all unique songs fron EP's and singles etc. Hmm. I don't know why I didn't include Metamorphosis. Is it anyone's favorite?

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I can believe it - it's not a very good album!

14. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Well said. For this reason, I actually prefer this album on CD--whereas the other three shine as album sides.

15. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident

Goat Head's Soup. I loved 'Angie'.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

1 Let It Bleed
    2 Sticky Fingers
    3 Beggars Banquet
    4 Exile
    5 Aftermath (UK)

17. glea

glea Forum Resident

I put Now! on the poll, but it could be nearly any one up through Voodoo Lounge at the time I'm listening. I still think Out Of Our Heads, Aftermath, and Buttons were very great records. But for me it's all blurred with all the bootlegs vids and stuff.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine pulled out the super 8 footage he shot of the '73 (I think that's the year) show in Sydney. It was about 8 mins. I tried to sync it up to the boot of the same gig, but since it was a wind up camera which would have been slowing down the whole time, and he just shot some bits of the first two songs, there was no way I could work it out. It's still an exciting moment to see someone's home movies of the Stones.

After Altamont I couldn't go back and see them again.

18. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

1. Let it Bleed
    2. Exile on Main Street
    3. Beggars Banquet

19. Charger

Charger Forum Resident

I had a hard time deciding between the big 4 but I chose Sticky Fingers for today.

Mike

20. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Let It Bleed, for me.

Every time i hear it (like today listening to the SACD on headphones), it takes me back to warm Summer nights riding in a pal's 1958 Chevy Brookwood wagon with the windows down and the 8-Track blasting. :agree:

21. James RD

James RD Senior Member

Another vote for U.K. Aftermath.

22. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

It was a tough call, but I went with Beggar's Banquet.

Let It Bleed & Sticky Fingers are also great!

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Beggar's Banquet has a number of tracks with an authentic country blues feel. I think this album represents the peak of the 60's U.K. blues scene.
    "And the Queen is bravely shouting, 'What the hell is going on?' "

24. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

A tough call for me. Like the Beatles, my favorite is usually the one I'm listening to at the time. :D But, I had to go with "Beggar's."

I've been listening to the U.K. "Aftermath" lately and the U.K. "Buttons" and the U.S. "Flowers." I could go with any of them, really, even "Satanic." :)

25. doowopman

doowopman Forum Hall Of Fame

Exile On Main Street is still tops for me. So raw, so real, and so powerful :righton:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.