What is your favorite Rolling Stones Studio Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jacob Bailis, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Beggars Banquet for me.The acoustic guitars really make it happen.

I know this poll is for studio albums but I think get your Get Your Ya-Yas Out is and belongs with their peak output from BB to Exile.IMO the ultimate live album.

2. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

It´s ok. :righton: , but I just think that the common opinion about "Bridge to Babylon" is that people think "Ok, a Stones album from 1997 compared to a 60´s or 70´s one is a piece of %¬/&"!@", and actually is not. It has some great song (IMO).
    When I say is my favourite album right now maybe I exagerate , but It deserved at least some detailed listening sessions. Charlie´s drums are excellent.

3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Not really. My opinion is that Vodoo Lounge is a hell of an album, the best since Exile, I love it. Steel Wheels is better than most anything they recorded in the 70's. But Bridges is over-produced in a anti-stones way. :shake:

4. Jacob Bailis

Jacob Bailis New Member Thread Starter

I like The Dust Brothers' production, particularly on "Saint Of Me", my favorite Stones single in quite some time. I like Voodoo Lounge too. Steel Wheels and Undercover are my least favorite.

5. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The Rolling Stones' first album (UK Decca, mono, 1964) is easily my favourite on vinyl. I think that it was the fourth LP that ever I bought, way back in 1964. Played on a Dansette with a ceramic cartridge it sounded pretty good back then. That opening Route 66 track is a belter.

However, on SACD my favourite is 12 X 5. I just love the stereo tracks. :)

6. jmsquires

jmsquires Forum Resident

Those are my 4 top albums! hard to pick one over another.Sticky is my favorite.

7. DavidinAustin

DavidinAustin New Member

You are so right on the mark! Still, I voted for Some Girls 'cause I love the variety (the rock, the disco, the country, it's got it all!)

8. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Excellent song. The Bridges to Babylon DVD shows a great performance in Saint of Me and specially on "Out Of Control". The recordings of both songs on the "No Security" album are very good.

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

EXILE ON MAIN STREET for me. This is an album you live with. Its depth and breadth remain unsurpassed. It's like a primer of all the musics that became rock and roll.

10. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Some very good points here. No cringeworthy vocals from anyone. Love this album heaps.

11. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Ditto, ditto, DITTO!
    :goodie: I get real excited about seeing them perform from 1964-66.

12. rdnzl

rdnzl Forum Resident

Aftermath - UK Version

13. bjr

bjr Senior Member

Between the buttons (UK). Obviously there's little love for the Stones playing pop - I'm probably one of the few who think they do that more convicingly than "ripping off the black man".

Edited to fill in that I feel the Stones never could create the solid groove needed if you want to go up against the Funk Brothers or whatever, but Charlie's jerky drums actually works very well here.

14. 1. Beggar's Banquet
    2. Their S*tanic Magesties' Request
    3. Exile On Main Street
    4. Let It Bleed

If the list had included U.K. albums, my choices would have been a bit different. U.K. Aftermath and U.K. Between The Buttons would bump Exile and LIB to 5th and 6th positions.

Attached Files:

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I went with Satanic Majesties, but probably really a tie between that and Beggars Banquet. I have neither of these albums though. I prefer the hits collections. Big Hits 1 & 2, Hot Rocks (both sets). And also Metamorphosis. That's all I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.