Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Shout! Factory Reissues and "Lost Treasures"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

"2 reissues and a rarities CD is expected for the expressive horn of Herb Alperb. On February 1, Shout! Factory will re-issue 1962's The Lonely Bull and 1964's South of the Border, both remastered and featuring an expanded booklet wityh new liner notes. Lost Treasures will contain rare and never before released cuts from the 1963-1974 period. Perfect!"

SHOUT has re-released a bunch of Joni Mitchell video titles and is part of Sony. I guess Herb went with them instead of Universal as he owns these masters and can do whatever he wants w/ them.

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

It's a start! :righton:

Shout Factory is the label started a couple of years ago by Richard Foos, one of the founders of Rhino. It's pretty much the closest thing to the "old" Rhino Records that there is these days.

3. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

This is great news!!! I agree with Rich, at least this is a start in the right direction.

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Good news!

6. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Wow first the Red Sox, [...] and now this... gonna be a good year!

political content removed MK

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Now, who's mastering?

8. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Licensing the Herb Alpert catalog is sure to put Shout! Factory on the map. Let's hope they do a respectable job remastering the CDs.
    Didn't I read somewhere that Larry Levine was working with Herb on the remastering?

9. -=Rudy=-

Yes, Larry Levine has been working for at least 2-3 years on these with Herb. A couple of my A&M Corner buddies ran into Levine at the Julius Wechter tribute in L.A. a few years ago--he mentioned they were going through some of the old tapes, but didn't say much else. Randy "Badazz" Alpert has also been involved. No idea who does the mastering on these, though.

The rarities disc will be the most interesting of the three. For this one, they located instrumental tracks that had no trumpet part recorded for them; Herb recorded new parts for these. Also, I'm hoping that the rare B-sides show up on this collection.

10. -=Rudy=-

Official word from the label:

1) The releases haven't "officially" been announced, but they are being released in February. :)

2) No track listing yet for the "Lost Treasures" CD, but I'll post one here when I get it.

3) Mastering on the two album reissues is by Ted Jensen; mastering on the "Lost Treasures" is by Bernie Grundman.

11. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I like the few Shout Factory label releases that I have picked up so far.
    Lee Michaels - Hello (The Very Best Of)
    Marchall Tucker Band - A New Life
    Marshall Tucker Band - Where We All Belong
    Marchall Tucker Band - Searchin For A Rainbow.

The Here's Lucy DVD Box Set

They do a great job and the cover artwork is well done too I think.. They seem to be doing a great job and there stuff is good quality.

I really look forward to the Herb releases ! :goodie:

12. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

ksmitty:

Does The Lucy Show Box Set include the 1970 episode with Buddy Rich?

13. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I will have to check that out but I am sure that it is not on there. I have watched all of the episodes which is a "Best Of" set and not by season like many of the TV show sets are now. I think I would remember Buddy Rich if he were in any of them. I will check it out again though and if so I will post regarding it. The picture quality is great and one of the extras is a Lucy Pepsodent commercial . The show was never really much of a success though and I guess that is why it was made as a Best Of Episodes as opposed to doing full seasons of the show. I am not really sure how many seasons it ran , but not very many I know.

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

:confused: EXCUSE ME!...Larry Levine has lunch often with "OUR" mastering guru and they go with these guys? :confused:

No disrepect here, Ted and Bernie are both great at what they do, but you gotta' know that I'm VERY disappointed that Steve won't get a chance to work with Herb's Masters, now "THAT" would have been special!

Chris C

15. -=Rudy=-

Here's some more info posted by one of my forum members, taken from http://www.digitallyobsessed.com :

The pricing is cool--the "new" product is $18.98, and the reissues are $13.98. More encouragement to buy all of them. :thumbsup:

16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

This is great news.

Rudy, I visited the A&M corner and it is a wonderful site. Are there plans to make a complete A&M discography? Also any chance of articles or info on some of the non-TJB titles like Flying Burrito Brothers, Roger Nichols, etc? Thanks.

17. -=Rudy=-

Eventually. ;) It's all volunteer and like this place, I have to do it all in my spare time. We're trying to cover the most popular early A&M artists (60s, early to mid 70s) before going to anything else. I had a big database project in the works that's been sidelined for a couple of years, just due to lack of time. As for a full A&M discography, we're thinking of a different way to do it so we're not accused by a competing website who's doing the same (and charging for it, no less :rolleyes: ). I may be doing something Roger Nichols-related in the near future, though. Sort of a cult favorite among us. :)

18. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, this is good news! :edthumbs: Let's hope the reissues are mastered well, sure are long, long overdue....

:ed:

19. -=Rudy=-

Another update, this one from Billboard...

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

From Rudy's quote in the previous post here:

Sony, huh? How about some Alpert SACDs? :D

21. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

But whats this about Herb re-recording "some of his trumpet parts". i wanna hear the 1960s Trumpet parts!!!

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe Richard Carpenter and George Lucas have a hand in these...

23. -=Rudy=-

Herb recorded new trumpet parts to the unreleased songs that *had* no trumpet parts. These are on "Lost Treasures". Billboard's article is a bit clueless in that department...confusing at best. :shake:

24. -=Rudy=-

I think we'd have a better chance if Universal were doing it. ;)

25. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Will these be available in record stores everywhere? At the risk of coming off naive, they almost sound like a specialty item. Would I at least be able to order them from HMV or some other place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.