Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Shout! Factory Reissues and "Lost Treasures"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

To answer the latter question....yep! Not sure what that sound is, but at 0:07 of "Monday, Monday" there it is, as always, just as I'd expected it to be. Such an odd glitchy kind of thing, not exactly a dropout, but like a 'click' noise.

:ed:

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

"Carmen" is the last track on HERB ALPERT'S NINTH, and, according to the liner notes, is the only song not recorded at Gold Star. It seems the group went to New York for that one and had Phil Ramone doing the engineering.

3. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I can't understand that reasoning. Why not buy one copy, make a CD-R dupe to play in the car, or the house, and leave the original as your "vault" copy? I can see buying one to sell later though.

Derek

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Are you a collector? It doesn't sound like it, if you were, you'd probably understand. ;)

Why do I have 5 different copies of Pet Sounds, even though I only play one? It's a collector thing. If it was just a matter of playing it, it a CD-R would be fine. We want to keep one copy pristine, another that we can play, read the booklet, and since these are digi-packs that can't be replaced, touch without fear of boogering it up.

That said, personally, I've only got one copy of each of the Alpert reissues.

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I've been in seventh heaven since this latest batch of Herb Alpert & The TJB hit the shelves!

First...THANKS to Bernie Grundman for a job well done on all three of these new ones!

My one major complaint all along with this reissue campaign are those damn "DIGIPAK" packages! They suck, plain and simple! Give me a jewel case any day with "original album" front and rear covers and add some new liners from Herb and of course great mastering (still wish that Steve would have done these!) and as a fan, I'm happy as punch!

FINALLY, I have a completely clean copy of the great song "CARMEN", which IMO, is the best thing that Herb EVER released!

It is also nice to finally have the rest of the "NINTH" and "SOUNDS LIKE..." album on CD. Even as a huge Herb Alpert & TJB fan though, neither of these albums were nearly as much fun as the rest of his mid 60's releases. You can actually hear Herb gradually move into his latter day solo style while listening to "NINTH"! By the time you make it to "With A Little Help From My Friends", you can CLEARLY hear where he was heading. Not to knock Herb's solo career, as some of it are among my favorites of his!!! It was just hit or miss after he broke up the TJB and I don't mean "chart" hit or miss, but rather "good vs. mediocre", hit or miss!

As I've already got a mint CD and LP version of the "Christmas Album", I consider this fun and long awaited reissue campaign closed!

Thanks for the fun,
    Chris C

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I actually found all three on the first try this weekend at Barnes And Noble. Quite surprising considering how hit and miss my luck has been locating the reissues up until now.

One rather endearing thing I'd forgotten about with Herb's TJB albums, is how sometimes during the intro of a song (for example, "Monday Monday"), you can hear Herb testing out a few notes on his horn, emptying out his spit valve, or whatever, before he starts playing the lead part. That was something I always listened for back when these albums first came out.

Personally, I hope this isn't the end to the reissues, only the end of the first year of the campaign. We still need Volume 2, The Brass Are Comin' and especially Warm to make their CD debuts, and I'm still hoping for some of the later TJB albums like Summertime, You Smile, The Song Begins and Coney Island to make a reappearance. There's a whole lot more to look forward to beyond the Christmas album.

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

From MusicTAP:

"Continuing with their update of Herb Alpert's catalog, Shout! Factory jumps into the Christmas spirit with the release of Alpert's Christmas Album from 1968. Christmas Album releases on October 18, in time to grace your holiday stereo."

8. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

One of my very favourite Christmas albums of all time. Herb Alpert's own arrangements made the traditional Christmas songs sound fresh and very ineteresting.
    Five of my favourites are "My Favorite Things," "Christmas Song," "Las Mananintas," "The Bells That Couldn't Jingle" and "Winter Wonderland.'

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm no fan of them either. But Herb chose that format because it is more environmentally friendly. Soooooo...guess I'll live with it. :D (I have made CD-R copies of the titles I own, and have stored the originals safely away.)

I hear you make some mean fried chicken! :D

I'm hopeful myself, although nothing is cast in stone. The original buzz was that all of the albums were to be reissued--we can only hope! There is also word of a "remixes" album and a box set coming out early next year, and Rise will be the first solo album remastered. I think we'll be able to figure out more in November or December--they seem to have announced each subsequent batch of titles (with release dates) about a month after each current batch. But in all honesty it would not surprise me if the remaining six TJB titles were not released, much as I hate to say it... :shake:

10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

You've been talking to Frodis, haven't you? :laugh:

I wonder what I'll have to cook for her to let me buy a whole box set? :D

It'd be a shame if at least Warm didn't get reissued. I suppose I could do a needle drop from my LP (in fact, I did do a couple of songs just to put them on my Dell DJ), but I've held off hoping there'd be an official CD.

I wasn't too happy about the digipaks either, and in fact, the back cover of my ...Sounds Like got slightly crushed on the way home. I don't like them in general, but what are you going to do? :wtf:

11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I hope all TJB albums will be released in remastered form and in digipak for consistency.

12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Just picked these up and the digipak format did in one of the discs: the old missing teeth, loose disc, grinding around syndrome. Neither the disc or the pak are worth anything now. I'm not a fan of this packaging!!

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Hey, for those who are buying two copies of the TJB reissues, try making your second a Japanese mini-LP style sleeve version! RT is listing King Records issues of:

The Lonely Bull
    South of the Border
    Whipped Cream & Other Delights [+2]
    Going Places
    Lost Treasures

14. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

:whistle:

The Christmas Album is being released next Tuesday (Oct. 18), after having been off the market for a few years...and it does return to the artwork from the original LP. Beyond that, I have not heard anything about more scheduled reissues. An early press release did say that all of the albums were to be reissued, but the fact that Lost Treasures had a handful of songs from You Smile--The Song Begins makes me wonder what is going on. Nobody I know has seen much promotion of these titles anywhere, so I'm just holding my breath and hoping we see another announcement after the first of the year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.