Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Shout! Factory Reissues and "Lost Treasures"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

"Promises, Promises" was featured on the '70s version of the T.J.B's YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS album. It is indeed a great TjB track!

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm with ya, Bob. :D Fortunately the stereo mixes aren't that far off the mark. But still, I want to gather up good copies of all the singles and make my own singles compilation. I have a good 16 tracks right now, thanks to A&M's mono Dee Jay Sampler, but there are still other unique 45s that I need to find that aren't too badly trashed. They probably think a collection in mono wouldn't sell, but IIRC, Larry Levine did all those mono mixes, and they're keepers for sure. :)

3. dustinblythe

dustinblythe Member

Herb Alpert reissues

Great! Now if we can get an outtake from the "Whipped Cream..." photo shoot in the booklet sans cream...

How about some Mariachi Brass reissues?

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Larry Levine knows how mix a "hit" Mono mix...

Bob :)

5. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I wish and hope that the B-side only El Bimbo would be released in another Herb Alpert & the TJB compilation.

6. HGN2001

"El Bimbo" - b-side?

I have it as a stereo/mono promo single. Was it ever the b-side to something else?

7. Chaney

Chaney New Member

Lonely Bull, South of the Border and Lost Treasures are all up for pre-oder at CD Universe

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have already seen some listings on ebay.

9. -=Rudy=-

Hi Harry: I show "El Bimbo" and "Catfish" as A&M single 1714-S. From the way Steve S. sent me the list, looks like "El Bimbo" was the "A" side. :confused: I am guessing that maybe it was for that rumored third TJB reunion album that got shelved...? "Catfish" also does not make sense as an "A" side either--good album track, but not exactly hit single material.

http://www.tijuanabrass.com/tjb4.php3#tjb_singles

I'm waiting for Amazon's prices to drop--for now their preorders are at full list price. :shake: (Makes my preorder links rather undesirable. :( )

10. HGN2001

My promo of "El Bimbo" is definitely released like an a-side. Like I said, stereo on one side (red printing), and mono on the other (black printing).

I think you're right, that it was an advance single for the next T.J.B. album that never materialized.

11. -=Rudy=-

Update: Amazon now has sound samples for all tracks on "Lost Treasures". The CDs are still on schedule for Feb. 8. Anxious to hear the tracks on the new one in full fidelity, and I'll be doing some comparisons of the original A&M CDs to the Ted Jensen-mastered reissues.

Also, "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" was announced for an April 6 release. This is going to be the only "expanded edition" in the reissue series, and is coinciding with the 40th anniversary (!) of the original album's release in 1965. Amazon's already taking preorders, although I had to submit a correction to them since they had the artist and title backward in the listing.

12. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

Sound clips are available for the new editions of "South of the Border" and "The Lonely Bull" as well.

We can now hear 22 minutes of Lost Treasures for free. :winkgrin:

13. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Maybe they'll "expand" the cover, taking a clue from Hip-O Select's Joey Heatherton release.

14. -=Rudy=-

...but stay away from those promos! :laugh: ;)

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Rudy, I'll return to you the LOST TREASURES promo I picked up today at a record store. :D

16. -=Rudy=-

I don't think they had any "un-whipped" (un-creamed??) pictures of Dolores, even as outtakes.

But if you DO like the cover and want to see something neat/crazy/cool, check out Whip It! & Other Delights. :eek: (Yes, it's family safe. ;) )

17. -=Rudy=-

What a pal!! :D

I'd be anxious to know what you think of the sound. Even in the sound samples I heard some tape hiss, so that's a good sign things aren't messed with too much.

18. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

I received the Collector's Choice catalog today in the mail...Herb Alpert on the cover! And the website has Lonely Bull and South of the Border for $11.95 ea., Lost Treasures for $17.06 (!). Hope they're in stock...

--Roger

19. HGN2001

I received my Collectors Choice catalog too. Bad luck though - it's got Elvis on the cover!

20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I got advance copies of all three this weekend and they sound very good to me. Obviously, great care was taken in the preparation of these re-releases. Ted Jensen did the mastering. He certainly had a good year!

I kinda prefer the mono version of the first album, little has been done to offset the lopsidedness of the stereo mix. And I guess I'm the only person in the world pining for Vol 2 which looks like a no-show. Herb disses it pretty hard in the liners.

But all in all, I'd give this set a solid A. South of the Border is just perfection. This Sol Lake fan is rejoicing. Get'em!!!

21. FLIERBOB

FLIERBOB New Member

Who was "Dolores"? Do we know more about her?

22. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Didn't she used to date Jerry Seinfeld ;)

23. floyd

floyd Senior Member

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'm hoping to see "Going Places" released sometime soon.

25. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Why, Dolores Erickson, of course!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.