What show/movie are you proudest of avoiding?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregM, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man Thread Starter

I never saw a single episode of Lost--something I consider one of my crowning achievements of the past 10 years.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Why would I be proud of not seeing something?

drivingfrog and Thurenity like this.
  3. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Me neither :wave:

I've also avoided Big Brother, John & Kate, Kardashians, Cake Boss....

4. xilef r

xilef r Active Member

I'll take TV shows starring Charlie Sheen for $400., Alex.

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man Thread Starter

I managed to miss those (Sheen shows) too. Winning! :)

Because many "somethings" waste time and rot brain cells.

6. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Never saw "Titanic".

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I saw the preview for the first "Saw" movie, and that was all I needed to see.

8. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Never saw any of the Die Hard movies.

9. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

American Idol and EVERY reality TV show

10. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Rocky

The Rocky Picture Horror Show.

Scott

11. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

HA - just watched that (again) last night

12. Every soap opera, sorry, "daytime drama" ever made

13. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I think it is a feat just to avoid these big dumb celebrities. I know almost nothing about the Kardashians except that they've got big butts!

14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Blair Witch Project

All the Harry Potter movies (and books)

15. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

Twilight

16. dingus

dingus New Member

every reality show.

17. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

all of those brutal "reality" TV shows from the past 10-12 years. And Titanic!
    I typically have no idea who people are talking about when they are discussing some celebrity. I'm sure my eyes glaze over when I ask who are they talking about and someone from some idiotic show is the answer.

18. jukin

jukin Forum Resident

Lots, but I make a special effort to avoid game shows, since watching contestants yell and screech like gibbons with a firecracker up their Khyber Pass makes me want to go 'Elvis' on the TV.

19. andythiing

andythiing Forum Resident

20. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I don't know if I'm proud of it but I have not seen a single Potter, Lord of the Rings or Twilight movie.

21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Since Cartoon Network got rid of the Looney Tunes, Tex Avery, and Toonheads programs about a decade ago, I don't even remember when specifically, I don't think I've seen a single half-hour of any broadcast television program. I know I've never sat down myself to see any show when it was broadcast. (I watch some sports; I'm distinguishing between sports and "shows." I guess I'm also putting news in a separate category from other shows, though I don't watch much television news anymore anyway.)

A few years ago I got an aggressive-sounding phone call from someone working for the cable company. They were coming out to pick up my box. I said what are you doing, I've been paying for the thing. They said no you haven't. Well I had tried, but it turned out they'd been crediting my payments to brother's cable account (he lived down the hall in the same building at the time). My cable had been shut off for about three months. I'd never even noticed. :laugh:

Television's not all bad though. The quality of many programs is a whole lot better than the mass of them were 10-20 years ago. I watch a few things on DVD, though it takes me forever to make it through a season or series. I think I've been working my way through "Battlestar Galactica" (parts of which I think are absolutely phenomenal) for about six years, and I'm barely halfway through. My intentions at some point are to watch "Mad Men," "Rome," "Deadwood," "Walking Dead," and "Game of Thrones." Who knows when.

In any event, to answer the OP's question directly: "Seinfeld." There is an entire cultural vocabulary, a virtual book of references to "soup Nazis," "Costanza wallets" (I've been told I have one), etc. etc. that I respond to only sheepishly, and with a shrug.

22. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I rarely even watch TV anymore. I almost wish I had avoided watching the show that my avatar's from. I'm consumed in it now. :help:

23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I'm feeling pretty good about skipping Green Lantern. I saw the preview, and knew instinctively that it was , as Herman's Hermits used to say -- a must to avoid. And I'm a big comic-book movie fan -- loved Thor, X-Men: First Class, and Captain America.

As to the OP's comment on Lost - I am so glad I missed out on *most* of the episodes, and when I finally did watch a couple I swelled with pride over how many hours of dreck I did not waste my life on.

24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

My wife and I have not seen a single minute of any of the mainstream "variety" shows. No Survivor, American Idol, Amazing Race, Big Brother, etc., etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.