What show/movie are you proudest of avoiding?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregM, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

2. You must lead a very sad, lonely, shallow life...:)

3. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I refuse to watch any of those shows. I dated a woman a few years back who had to schedule everything around Survivor so she wouldn't miss it. It drove me nuts.

4. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

So, this thread is pretty much people admitting that they're proud of being ignorant and close minded towards some TV shows? Wow. I'm so glad I'm not like this. I have shows i don't like, but at least I allow my self to make sure I don't like them.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't watch reality shows with people who shriek at each other (Jersey Shore, Hell's Kitchen, any of the courtroom shows, etc.). There's almost no reality-type programming I can watch, except maybe a traditional documentary about one subject, like the Ken Burns films (which is not a TV series per se).

American Idol I can stand, but only if I fast-forward through it. If you condense the show down to 20 minutes, it's not that bad.

The Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings films are actually quite good, but you have to have an appreciation for fantasy to get into them. The popularity of Twilight bewilders me. And I don't think I could ever sit through another Transformers film after the last one.

I'll give a show a chance and will sometimes watch a piece of it to see if it's something I can stand. But the stuff I mentioned above sends me screaming from the room. [Note also that this thread discusses feature films and not just TV shows.]

I agree that not all vastly-popular shows and movies are bad, and some of them are actually quite good, on a certain level. There's always a percentage of the public that will deliberately avoid seeing a blockbuster hit film -- Titanic and Avatar are high on that list -- just to be contrary. To me, it's possible to appreciate a film or TV show on several levels: content, the artistic level, or even a technical level -- and sometimes I'll watch a movie just for one of those.

6. I've never watched these either. Avoid them as well as any other "celebrity" show.

I also have never seen anything beyond season one of "Gossip Girl" (I had to review it) and wish I could have back the 20 hours I wasted watching that show.

7. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

You totally don't get it. Although I think Seinfeld is one of TV's all time best sitcoms, it is not easy to avoid and I understand why SBurke would be proud of never having seen it.

THere's a lot of shows listed on this thread that I haven't watched because I had no interest or didn't want to devote the time ("Lost", "24"). However, I take special pleasure if someone brings up "Titanic" and I can honestly say I've never seen it.

8. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

Jersey Shore

9. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Put me down as another one who has never watched a reality show other than the very first Survivor. No American Idol or any other show where 3 or 4 people determine the likability of someone who may or may not be a ringer for ratings. They all follow a line of questioning whether what you're watching is real or scripted. I recently got burned by the "pawn" shows. That's a sign of my desperation at finding something entertaining on TV.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

:laugh: I love the Onion.

I love the fact that people are now congratulating themselves for avoiding TV shows. How hard is it to avoid tuning into a channel at the time you do not want to tune into that channel?? :)

Me, I love catching as many crap shows as I can for at least a few minutes so I have enough material to make fun of the show on Facebook. :D

11. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Anything by Spielberg, from a moment in time on.

12. It's one thing to have not seen it (I also was not a fan), but to consider that a "crowning achievement" is either sad or is a ridiculous over-statement.

13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

another whose eyes glaze over if I encounter people who watch a lot of reality TV and game shows.

It's not so much pride, it's pity and fear.

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Seems like a strange concept to me, too. I guess one could be proud about not watching snuff films, but when it comes to mainstream entertainment I say different strokes for different folks.

15. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I've never watched

The Lion King (any of them)

Anything starring Ben Elton (trust me, he's a stupid upperclass twit, who has not even a dirt particle of funny in him).

Twilight

High School Musical

Any Disney Channel Movie (the ones that are especially made for the channel, not the theatrical movies.

E! Channel Shows eg:
    Keeping Up With the Kardashians
    Kendra
    Playboy Mansion

16. Glee
    Lost
    Dancing With The Stars
    American Idol
    The Matrix
    Forest Gump

17. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Forum Resident

Any and all reality shows and all of the American Idol/Dance shows..

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I have difficulties being proud of something that takes no effort whatsover on my part and benefits no one.

20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I never watched an episode of Dallas.

21. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

For decades I had proudly avoided "Ghostbusters"...but I figured my kids might like it, so we watched both of the films last weekend.

Feh..

Outside of some vintage Bill Murray banter and a few good moments from Rick Moranis, I was totally underwhelmed.

22. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

Anything Disney.

23. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Same here. :righton:

24. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

LOTR or the Potter flicks. Maybe I'll get around to watching them someday but so far I have no interest.

25. James RD

James RD Senior Member

I never saw an episode of Manimal. I regret that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.