Jampol hints: The Doors L.A. Woman 40th deluxe edition coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Doors Manager Jeff Jampol hints on the Doors message board an L.A. Woman 40th anniversary edition may be coming.

2. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

How many times are they going to reissue these albums? Does anyone still care?

3. monkboughtlunch

So if a deluxe L.A. Woman is coming, what might we expect?

a) 1970s Quad mix?
    b) Paris Blues outtake from partially erased compact cassette?
    c) Robby's home demos with Jim?
    d) Alternate takes?
    e) Master takes with alternate scratch vocals?
    f) Do any of the tracks later issued on Other Voices contain an unreleased Morrison Scratch Vocal (e.g. Down on the Farm etc)

4. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Looking forward to it, squeaky bass drum pedal on the Changling and all.

5. monkboughtlunch

It would be cool if they acquired the New Orleans 70 show and released the live version of Riders on The Storm. Doubt that will happen though. The tape owner reportedly wants a large sum. Also, there are reports from many (including Doors employee Vince Treanor) Jim was quite intoxicated and not at his best for this gig.

6. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Between my DCC and the last remaster, I cannot imagine a need for another release of this album. Most of us are waiting patiently for the Matrix.

7. monkboughtlunch

I wonder if any tapes survived from the aborted LA Woman sessions produced by Rothchild at Elektra studios. Anyone know? I think there was a week of studio activity at Elektra before Rothchild decided to withdraw from the project. The band and Botnick then retreated to the Doors workshop to record the album themselves.

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

When BMR first started, both Sugarman and Botnick implied that there were outtakes of the LA Woman sessions. Then, discussions about this material became a moot point with Jampol refusing to discuss it. I'm inclined to believe the outtakes exist. The lack of any on Perception points to the band thinking of a future anniversary project. Now, Sugarman clearly had the ability to present misguided, embellished information, so time will tell.

9. monkboughtlunch

Indeed, Manzarek's operating policy has long appeared to be "always hold something back for a future project."

They clearly held something back from Perception on the LA Woman stuff. IIRC, the way Jampol positioned it at the time (2006) was that the extra stuff they had did not exist in multitrack form and was thus not included on the Perception set as this was only a multichannel remix set.

So maybe any bonus material (other than the 70s quad mix - which is just a remix from the masters) only exists in their archive in non multi-track form. Maybe they have tracked down or found stuff in the last 5 years.

Apparently the Paris Blues master has not been located. The director of When You're Strange said last year he heard Paris Blues and rejected using it in his film due to the sound quality being poor. (He mentioned he liked the song itself).

We'll probably get more Krieger home demos. My guess is they will include Paris Blues from the partially erased cassette -- and make this unissued track of the "final Doors song" a centerpiece of their marketing campaign to promote the set.

10. monkboughtlunch

By the way, other than Hyacinth House home demo on the 1997 box set, what other songs were recorded by Robby at home with Morrison?

11. PacificOceanBlue

You're right; I forgot all about the "multitrack" requirement for Perception. That being said, I didn't think the rehearsal of Celebration Of The Lizard was multitrack.

There is a lot of potential for this project, depending on what still exists. The Robby demos, Paris Blues, outtakes from the Rothchild sessions, off-line outtakes, original mixes of "other voices" instrumental takes from the session, etc.

12. monkboughtlunch

IIRC, the band acquired the multis of the studio Celebration of the Lizard and the version on Perception (2006) is multitrack. The earlier 2003 best of compilation that debuted the studio COTL contained a stereo mix of Celebration from a "source" that did not provide the multis for that earlier release.

13. PacificOceanBlue

Not to get too off-topic here, but am I the only one completely unmoved by the studio take of Celebration Of The Lizard?

I find the Waiting For The Sun master of Not To Touch The Earth to be a very powerful piece. It is such a bummer that the rest of the COTL suite was not completed in similar fashion. I ran into Ray in Beverly Hills about 10 years ago and he was very nice and spoke to me for a good 5 minutes. I asked him about the aborted COTL from Waiting For The Sun and he said they worked on it for a few days, but could not get it together. He said Not To Touch The Earth is all that made it. He wasn't clear if all the COTL sections were all attempted and recorded separately and Not To Touch The Earth was part of that series of recordings or if the master of Not To Touch The Earth we all know of came after the band aborted COTL. I have always found it fascinating because COTL could have been one of the band's greatest studio achievements had it been completed. The post-Waiting For The Sun run-through we now have on Perception is very lackluster.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i find mind-boggling what those 6, 40-minute studio albums, hath brought over the last 40 years, mind-boggling.

15. monkboughtlunch

I thought the studio COTL was a run through recorded circa early 68 -- before WFTS was released in summer 68.

16. PacificOceanBlue

Perhaps you are right. I thought it was done post-Waiting For The Sun.

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Yep, L.A. Woman has been reissued almost as much as the CSN debut :righton:

18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Just give that new Matrix,I`d rather hear that sooner than anything else.
    (so should everyone else too):angel:

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Still hoping for that Singles Collection...........still hoping.........:)

20. Joe Shlabotnik

Joe Shlabotnik Formerly dickvin

Maybe they finally got hold of the (in)famous New Orleans concert recording from The Warehouse tape of 1/30/71. :rolleyes:

21. monkboughtlunch

New Orleans / Warehouse is from Dec 70. I wouldn't hold my breath for the Doors to acquire it.

22. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm with you. The Matrix is what I want from the Doors more than anything that they currently own. The Hollywood Bowl Blu-ray might be pretty nice too, especially if they can restore it to look as nice as the HWY footage in 'When You're Strange.' LA Woman outtake material would be nice, but sure hope it doesn't push the Matrix release back in any way.

23. i have the 2 disc matrix legal and the 4 disc boot what would the new matrix consist of?

24. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

It will hopefully consist of the complete recordings from the master tapes. So, it would be a massive sound upgrade (supposedly Steve Hoffman will master), and it will include about 20 minutes worth of previously unheard instrumental material.

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No you're not. They really nailed it in the performance on "Absolutely Live" from the Aquarius Theatre. That is the definitive "Lizard" as far as I am concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.