Jampol hints: The Doors L.A. Woman 40th deluxe edition coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

My guess is that Paris Blues is complete crap and they don't want it further tarnishing the "legacy" (like Other Voices, Full Circle and Tree Trunk)

2. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

:laughup::biglaugh:

3. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

The Doors' management does have a credibility issue, doesn't it!

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

5. My guess is that Paris Blues is being held back for a future release. Labels know they need hooks like unreleased tracks to sell future releases, which is why we rarely ever get all the unreleased material at once.

6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So theres this A Collection boxset ( hehe already own these titles with couple different pressings) coming soon:

Description

"The Doors - A Collection" is a six disc boxset of the incredible first six albums by the classic and world renowned American rock band The Doors, starting with their self titled debut album "The Doors", originally released in 1967, and spanning their musical history and ending with their sixth album "L.A. Woman", originally released in 1971.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Box set of the first six legendary albums from The Doors.The collection packages the complete anthology of studio albums led by Jim Morrison, with the new 40th Anniversary mixes of the tracks and original artwork in replicated paper sleeves.

7. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

They are phasing out the 40th anniversary mixes and bringing back the original mixes. It's a smoke and mirrors shell game. The above box set is just a marketing bundling approach to unload unsold remaining disc inventory of the 40th remixes.

8. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

At least The Doors' first six albums are finally back in print after all these years.*

*sarcasm

9. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

That looks like a miniaturized version of my 1999 boxset right down to the replica LP covers and disc labels. In fact, I think the discs pictured are from the 99 set.

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Must be gearing up for the 50th Anniversary remixes. :D

11. rokritr

rokritr Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Latest from Jampol:

We did not mix [the bonus tracks] in 5.1 - sorry! I think the 5.1 ship has sailed, as far as consumer acceptance/desire goes. Sadly. I, for one, love 5.1 - as you do, too. BUT - that makes 2 copies sold! (Well, only one, really - I get mine free)

Seriously, though, the demand out there for 5.1 is about nonexistent, so we cannot justify the cost of mixing, not to mention a separate DVD disc that would be required to hold the 5.1 mixes (and would also increase the cost of the package by 10-20 dollars) for EVERY SINGLE purchaser. Just doesn't add up - for us, or for the fans.

We don't have Paris Blues right now (but hope to locate it) - sorry!

12. monkboughtlunch

Does he mean they don't have the partially erased cassette dub that Botnick confirmed they had in 2006? Or does he mean they don't have the original source tape?

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I tend to agree. I have envisioned it being an underwhelming, loose track like the Woman Is A Devil segment from Rock Is Dead that was issued as an individual song on the Complete Recordings Box/Essential Rarities sets 10+ years ago. And with the lo-fidelity/damaged recording the band most likely has, Jampol probably wants to sit on it. I still think the substandard sounding version the band probably has should be added as a hidden track somewhere on the box set.

14. SoundAdvice

It means fans won't get to hear it on this round of reissues. It's up to you to believe if they have it or not or are saving goodies for a rainy day.

15. monkboughtlunch

Jampol also commented on the 4 track Krieger demos (which yielded Hyacinth House on the 97 box set).

http://www.thedoors.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21343&view=findpost&p=363780

How does the band go from "having" to "not having?" Didn't they have the Paris Blues partially erased cassette dub in 2006 when they said Botnick was working on repairing it in the run up to Perception? Presumably Botnick would still have digital files on a hard drive from the digital workstation repair effort?

Didn't Robby have the 4 track home demos circa 1997, as Hyacinth House demo was published on The Doors Box set (1997)? Didn't Botnick do an archival backup safety digital transfer of all of Robby's 4 track demo tapes circa 1996-97 when they auditioned them for inclusion on The Doors Box Set?

So if they don't have this stuff, what exactly are they releasing on Discs 3 & 4 of the 4CD set?

16. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

But probably no inner sleeves. :D

17. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

So if they don't have this stuff, what exactly are they releasing on Discs 3 & 4 of the 4CD set?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I want a tracklisting. I can't believe they've been able to sit on anything earth-shattering for all this time, especially not enough material to fill 2 more CDs.

Can't wait to see what they've got lined up. It's gonna be amazing or painfully, crushingly disappointing. No middle ground! I'm betting on the latter.

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Jampol did confirm in the past day or so that there is an "unreleased" track being included; some sort of blues jam.

19. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Band favorites!

Ray likes:
    The Changeling
    L.A. Woman
    Hyacinth House
    The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)
    Riders on the Storm
    (You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further

Robby likes:
    The Changeling
    Love Her Madly
    Been Down So Long
    L.A. Woman
    L'America

John likes:
    The Changeling
    Love Her Madly
    Cars Hiss by My Window
    L.A. Woman
    Riders on the Storm

20. SoundAdvice

Have you head the Aquarius 69 rehearsal, Boston 70 and Phili 70 official releases?

21. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Yes....I really like Philly

22. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I would love to see how much money the endless remasters/repackaging bring in to this group each year.

23. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

:D:D

24. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Not as much as it brings to the label... :shh:

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's good to be the king. :D

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.