Famous Guitars (& Basses) - Photos Please!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

What are some of your favorite 'famous' guitars and bass guitars. Photos please!

When I was a kid I used to love watching singing cowboy 'Roy Rogers'. And I loved that beautiful acoustic guitar that he had. Turns out it was a much more special guitar than even he knew.

Nazareth, PA - April 3, 2009 - An anonymous bidder has acquired the "King of Cowboys" Roy Rogers' infamous OM-45 Deluxe Martin Guitar, one of the rarest and considered among many collectors the most coveted. $460,000 was the winning bid during an auction held at Christies in New York today. The guitar was put up for auction by The Roy Rogers-Dale Evans Museum in Branson, Missouri.

Originally purchased, used, for $30 at a California pawn shop in 1933 by a young and unknown musician by the name of Leonard Slye, (Roy's real name) this guitar was the very first OM-45 Deluxe model guitar Martin produced in 1930 (#1 of 15 total). It is the prototype for one of Martin's rarest, most beautiful and highly coveted models. Slye, years later, would go on to become cowboy legend Roy Rogers, never knowing the historical significance of the guitar. Over time, the Martin OM-45 Deluxe would become synonymous with the Rogers stage and film persona.

Sold brand new for $225 in 1930, this guitar was Martin's most expensive model to date. It is not known who the guitar was originally sold to and what happened between that 1930 purchase and Slye's bargain buy a few years later. What is certain is the information still found in C.F. Martin's records, and like many things in Martin's history, upon closer inspection the numbers often tell a previously unknown story. Comparing the timeline, order and expense record books with the serial number log and the notes for the first OM-45 and OM-45 Deluxe models, it's clear that serial #42125, the OM-45 Deluxe made famous by Roy Rogers, is the very first OM-45 Deluxe model produced.

Attached Files:

2. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

My favorite guitar in the world:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

coffeecupman likes this.
  3. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Speaking of Roy Rogers (post #1)...

Here's Willie Nelson with 'Trigger', named after Roy Rogers' horse.

Attached Files:

4. Tone

That guitar sounds a lot better than it looks. :) ........ Is Willie still using it live?

5. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

6. glea

glea Forum Resident

a couple I have seen up close

Attached Files:

albabe likes this.
  7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

8. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Number 1 and number 2

Attached Files:

9. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Used for the 1st album and the Stairway solo etc...Painted by Jimmy.

Attached Files:

• 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      41.2 KB
      Views:
  10. mrogers

mrogers Forum Resident

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Doesn't get more iconic than this:

Attached Files:

12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Blackmore's Maple (natural) wood 1974/5 Strat and Tommy Bolin's 1963 Strat with Telecaster neck. Would love to play those bad boy's. Add Glenn Hughes Candy Apple Rickenbacker Bass too.

13. glea

glea Forum Resident

The same Telecaster a few months earlier. The Yardbirds at the Fillmore. Guess which song they are playing? See Jake Holms thread.

Attached Files:

14. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

1971 Gibson EDS-1275 played by Jimmy Page

Attached Files:

15. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Oh -- "famous."
    Sorry.

16. gojirin

gojirin Forum Resident

A not very good picture of Jack Bruce's EB-3.

And yes Todd, I laughed...

Attached Files:

17. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Of course Jaco's Bass Of Doom! Before restoration:
    [​IMG]
    and after:
    [​IMG]

18. Tone

Here's Jaco with the famous beat up bass.

I saw Weather Report in May '79 at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. We were near the entrance still waiting to go in. About 2 minutes before WR was to go on a Limo pulls up, Jaco jumps out with this bass in hand, takes a slug from a bottle that a fan gives him, and heads right up to the stage, plugs in and starts warming up. What a character. (Joe Z didn't seem too amused.) The next day he played with Joni Mitchell, which was very cool.

Attached Files:

19. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Cool thread, hope this continues!

20. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

:eek: Yikes! I don't know the story on that. Did Jaco cause that damage to his bass, or was it like that before he adopted it? How could it have possibly sounded the same after restoration?

21. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

You took that pic, right? Very cool. I think Jeff Beck may have given him that tele (or maybe Jimmy just stole it) :shh::D.

Here's the very lightweight Danelectro DC-3 used for White Summer and later for Kashmir and In My Time of Dying live.

Attached Files:

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Tiger

Attached Files:

23. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

24. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

David Gilmour's Black Strat

Gilmour's Black Strat

[​IMG]

25. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Did you say Basses?

gp-jaecoll02.jpg

At home, with 1964 Gibson Thunderbird IV bass, and son Christopher with 1972 mini Thunderbird bass.

jae_64tbird-home.jpg

At play, Dec.15, 1971 in Seattle, John plays an updated version of the Fender Jazz Axe bass, now with a new neck with bound headstock.

gledhill8.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.