Elvis Costello - My Aim is True Mofi Vinyl!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

My copy of Elvis Costello "My Aim Is True" on Mofi vinyl shipped today. I am totally psyched to receive this title (probably Monday). Even though I have almost every conceivable pressing on CD and vinyl of this LP, I look forward to getting this one also.

I find that the first 7 Costello albums are those which I can listen to ad infinitum, and never ever get tired of doing so.

I will report back once I receive and listen.

FJC1966 likes this.
  2. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I heard a test pressing of this a few months ago. You won't be disappointed.

Kyhl likes this.
  3. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Thanks in advance for the report - always has been one of my favorites - I wore out two of the regular domestic pressings in the first year of its release.

4. Tell us how convincing the vocal and midrange-guitar tone came out -
    that's the one thing this album seems to suffer the most for.

The drums are just going to sound wonky because they're so processed.
    It would be nice if the cymbals lost their spit (and "rang" for a change).

5. Can you describe what you took to be the new sound / differences?

6. Pug

Of course, I was listening to it at Music Direct on a $10k turntable with a $5k cart through $20k speakers. :laugh:

7. Pug

I didn't have a chance to hear it versus my UK nor did I hear it on my own system (See my post above).

I really can't comment on that until I hear it here at home. I have no way of knowing if what I heard was because of the LP or the mega buck system or both.

8. MikeT

What about the other two Costello albums Mofi has scheduled? Did you hear those also? Can't wait for them either!!

9. A megabuck system should be even more neutral to source than what you have at home
    (if set up correctly).

Seriously, do you remember any initial impressions . . .
    (with unfamiliar equipment being the caveat)?

10. Pug

I wish. They only have that one (and Beck Sea Change which wasn't out yet). The others are pushed back until after Xmas because RTI is backed up.

I can't wait for Armed Forces. That's my favorite.

11. Pug

Not really. That was a few months ago. I remember liking what I heard. My only criticism was that it's a hair bright. Shawn Britton (I believe) cut it. I think his work is a tiny bit brighter than Rob Lo Verde's.

I'm going to try going downtown tomorrow and pick my copy up. It's on hold for me.

12. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

My copy has shipped as well, looking forward to hearing this. :agree:

13. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

My Aim is True Mofi

I'll be comparing the Mofi to both the original UK and US pressings and I hope to have the review up on Myvinylreview late next week, assuming Neil Young doesn't get in the way.

14. MikeT

Got the LP today. Nice...Real Nice. Great job by Shawn Britton. The album sounds great.

The only thing I noticed is that it is mastered very low so that I have to REALLY crank my volume knob way up (probably more than any other vinyl pressing I own), but that still doesn't take away from the great sound quality of this pressing.

I am now salivating at the prospect of receiving "Armed Forces" and "This Year's Model"!!

JackDVD78 likes this.
  15. MikeT

I felt that the vocals and mids sounded pretty good, and even though the drums usually sound "wonky", they actually had some really nice slap to them - more than I remember from any other version I have heard.

I also think you might be quite impressed with the sound of the cymbals. Although the MOFI doesn't completely "fix" the sound of this album, it sure does a lot of things right by the music. I was actually fairly transfixed by the quality of the sound.

16. MikeT

Weird that you remember it as being a hair bright. My system, which can sound somewhat clinical and bright at times, gave me a very different picture of this music. I know I only listened once so far, but I didn't feel that the presentation was bright at all.

I understand you listened a few months ago, so something might have changed since that test pressing (or not)... or who knows.

17. Pug

Also I was listening on an unfamiliar system.

18. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I head a test pressing of this last summer, put on the Mofi studio system-- by Shawn Britten himself and it sounded Divine. Not got it yet myself, but it will give my Uk Porky a run for its money... :righton:

:D

Jack likes this.
  19. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It would be nice if he had gone back in 1977 or so and re-recorded that whole album with The Attractions instead of Clover.

20. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Watching for Defectives....

One thing that will be on this Aim not on my Porky is Watching The Detectives. I saw a whole different master tape reel just for that one track. It has a different studio date, that fall of 77, not the spring like the rest of the original Lp, just in time to be added to the US pressing. Looking forward to hearing this cut in all its raging glory...:righton:

:D

21. tikkenator

tikkenator Forum Resident

I have noticed the low mastering level on my Mofi Michael Brecker and both Pixies albums, especially Surfer Rosa. However, all those releases sound fantastic. should receive my copy of My Aim Is True On Friday. Can't wait!

22. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Maybe it is me, but every time I'm in there regardless of what equipment they are using or where it is set up, it ALWAYS sounds like crap. Definitely NOT a good room to audition equipment in.

Nice people to do business with though . . .

Eric

23. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I was there with Pug listening to the test pressing, and I agree that it was tiny bit bright, but I found it sounded better as it went along. We only heard side 1, though.

24. Pug

The Cars was cut low too. That allows them to cut the LP with more bass and dynamics without the cart flying out of the groove.

25. MikeT

I have the Cars Mofi Lp, and it isn't cut as low as the Costello. I really had to push the gain on my volume knob higher than any other vinyl I own for this Elvis release, the Cars not as high.

And you are right about the bass and dynamics. Although the bass isn't overpowering, the dynamics on a few cuts, especially "Waiting for the End of the World", when the drums slap hard I was darn near knocked me out of my seat (they were so dynamic sounding).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.