Elvis Costello - My Aim is True Mofi Vinyl!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

I couldn't agree more. My Aim Is True falls a little short for me because of the backing band. They're too close to pub rock when EC's fire required aggression & precision.

2. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Guys, I like the MAIT MoFi a lot, except for one thing: my copy has a 120-cycle hum throughout. At first I thought it was my cart, but it isn't - it's on the record. Anyone else notice this? :confused:

3. RZangpo2

EDIT. Maybe it's not 120 cycles, but it's a loud hum, that's for sure. It's definitely audible during quiet passages & in between tracks. What gives?

4. RZangpo2

*bump* Anyone else notice this? :confused:

5. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Nothing like that on mine

6. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

So, does MFSL still plan to release This Year's Model & Armed Forces? It's been a while since the MAIT reissue...

7. bogglor

bogglor Forum Resident

Ditto.

8. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

I emailed Music Direct about this the other day and they said 'This Year's Model' should be out later this month and 'Armed Forces' is still TBD.

Alan

9. RZangpo2

Sorry - I figured out that it's a mechanical problem with my TT. Didn't mean to cast aspersions on the record - it sounds great.

10. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I have to say that i find this mfsl release to be slightly disappointing, there's nothing particularly great about it from the sonics perspective, it slightly dull sounding, just my opinion of course.

11. RZangpo2

Really? It's a lot clearer than any other version IMO. It doesn't sound dull to me, either. I'm glad I made the investment. :righton:

AtlTrav likes this.
  12. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Alan G wrote: "I emailed Music Direct about this the other day and they said 'This Year's Model' should be out later this month."

My local indie asked me today if he should order a copy of This Year's Model for me. They're close, it seems.

13. Kubrick

Kubrick Forum Resident

I just picked this up and I have to say, I'm a little underwhelmed myself. I listened to side one of the MoFi and then side one of the Rhino and for me personally, the Rhino sounded better...that just leads me to believe the old saying...it's all dependent on the person and their stereo...The only reason I will hang on to the MoFi is for Watching The Detectives as my Columbia album sounds awful.

14. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I just ordered the MOFI today. But surface noise bothers me more than most people...so I'm sure I'll be happy. I'd rather have a dead quiet MOFI than a UK Porky Prime with pops and tics here and there. (Of course, budget willing, I'd get both)

15. To mofi or not to mofi

I have a Stiff UK Porky Prime Cut early reissue. The lime green back cover with I-79 & I-81 matrices. IIRC, These were the first UK Imports direct shipped to the US as Imports via Jem Records just after EC broke into the charts. My VG+ copy still trounces my minty CDN & US copies. The difference in punch is startling, even on this average copy. Although the american copies are both very clean lp's NM/M-, the sonics are poor-muddy/tubby bass and shrill to boot.

Will the Mofi satisfy? Tommytunes seems to think not and I don't have the ability (time or moneywise)to keep fishing for a fairly clean UK, if infact they even exist. I don't think Stiff was a particularly prestigious label known for clean pressings.

16. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

They're out there! My original Stiff copy (glossy yellow back; one of the first, first pressings if I understand correctly) is as quiet & clean as just about anything else I own. It sounds great but, as others have said, it is not an audiophile recording by any stretch of the imagination.

17. Thanks. That's encouraging. Curious-Did you get your copy recently? Around here, I never see a Uk copy and when I do, it's well played if you know what I mean. As for ebay and honest gradings..:thumbsdn:

Think I need to spend more time scouring discogs and musicstack..

I'd still take a shot at the mofi if it delivered. I can live with low volume if it gave me dynamics and punch..

18. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I spoke to Mikey Fremer back in April, and he said he preferred the Mobile Fidelity MAIT to the Stiff Porky. I've yet to experience the reissue LP.

19. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I just played my Stiff Australian pressing and it sure sounds fine. :)

Chris

20. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I picked mine up about 4 or 5 years ago in Arkansas of all places! Before that, I went through several progressively better copies over 8-9 years. I've not heard the MOFI but I remember the Rhino as being fairly comparable to the "Porky". If you you're looking for a clean one, that may be the way to go.

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I got the Mofi MAIT and listened to it this past week. Sounds good enough, but it seems to be at a very low volume. I have to turn my volume knob up much higher than normal, even much higher than the other recent Mofi Elvis Costello titles. This wouldn't be a problem, except it makes the surface noise louder relative to the music and it is very audible the entire time. Are all copies like this?

22. Bluesided

Bluesided New Member

I have played the Porky (bought this year for $25 shipped, surfaces are decent but not perfect) next to the MFSL and the original is leaner and brighter. It has a sweet, ringing quality that's kind of nice but does not sound natural. I prefer the MFSL on some cuts and the Porky on others. Both are worth owning, if you collect multiple pressings of certain titles like some of us do.

23. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

I would agree - the MoFi is quieter. I prefer the original Porky myself. More "balls", so to speak. "Sneaky Feelings" sticks out as a different experience on the MoFi, from what I recall, haven't listened in a while.

funknik likes this.
  24. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Was the US album off of a copytape or a dedicated mix for the US. I don't see shelling out $30 for a album off a copytape since it has a different running order than the UK press.

DangerousKitchen
    Does your Stiff MAIT have "distributed by Island Records" on the back cover, that is the true 1st press.

25. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Watching For Defective Sides...

I think I understand what you are asking. :confused:

What I saw at MFSL's plant when the new MFSL MAIT was being master for release was three tape boxes of master tapes. Two from/for each side of the original LP (I'd assume UK version, as I can't see there being different master tapes for the US Columbia pressing, anyone?) Those were dated from the spring of 77, I wanna say March.

Then there was a third master tape box for just Detectives, from the fall of 77(maybe Sept? ot was it May?) for it was recorded after the album proper and then added onto the US Columbia MAIT.

If this makes sense, and/or sounds wrong or needs clearing up, please some EC experts chime in. Alas, I got no pictures at the time. But, I did get to hear a test pressing of one side in the sweet spot in studio and we (Shawn Britton and I) both heard a flaw meaning that that test pressing had to be scrapped.

Hope this helps, but not sure what your post was asking, clearly... :righton:

cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.