Elvis Costello - My Aim is True Mofi Vinyl!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Costello Consterations...

Very perplexing as to how you could like the Columbia, except maybe it sounding the most familiar to you from many listens over the years. I've never had a decent sounding US Columbia that wasn't a muddy mess compared to the Porky, which slays it clean through, and I have not heard this new one, and am bummed by reports herein of low volume issues. Doubt you got a dud, just the way they all are, anyone like this new one compared to a Porky? :help:

:wave:

Jack likes this.
  2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

It seems to me the KG Rhino LP is being left out of the conversation. It's gotta be a contender if not the best one of the bunch

3. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

I have the KG Rhino and it sounds great (for a title that struggles to sound great).
    It replaced a weak sounding Liberation label pressing from the late 80's.

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Just played my KG Rhino earlier tonight. Sounds great to me. And yes, I have UK Stiff double Porky Prime Cuts and UK Stiff "EG without Porky" pressings, plus the USA Columbia 1977. Not saying the KG is the best, as I haven't done a shoot out, but it's certanly better than the Columbia.

5. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I missed out on grabbing the Rhino when it was out. :sigh:

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:yikes:

7. Pug

I was going to snag one off of eBay a couple of years back but I found a Porky UK LP and bought that instead. :D

8. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Wise Pug. :cool:

9. Pug

Sometimes. :laugh:

:D

10. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

errr umm uh post 29 :whistle:

11. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

I have the KG Rhino (which doesn't include Watching the Detectives), but I really don't have the energy to compare any of my pressings, UK, US, Rhino, MOFI, to each other. I just listen to each independently and if they sound good that is good enough for me. The Mofi sounded good when the volume was cranked.

dee likes this.
  12. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

oh come on guys! Whats this place becoming? No shoot outs!?! Next thing you know people will stop posting wave forms. :( ;)

Seriously though pretty please someone do a shootout? :D

13. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Haven't heard the mofi yet but I heard a double porky and the sound was terrible. Record was dead mint but it just sounded dead.

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Gaurdian, have you heard the album in any other form? (rhino, columbia)

I have an UK pressing but not sure if its a porky or not. The best Ive heard is the Fiend cd. Sounded much better than my UK and somewhat less glassy than the rhino.

15. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Please don't tell us you can't figure out whether you have a Porky cut! Look at the deadwax!

16. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

lol Ted, noooo. I can. I just havent played it in a while and am not sure if when I bought it I was aware of the porky on these. Ill try and dig it up. I just recently moved and my lps are still a bit jumbled :)

17. tikkenator

tikkenator Forum Resident

Very pleased with the sound quality. No trace of glare on this release, in contrast to my Rhyko cd. Just wish it wasn't cut so low.

18. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

I'd never heard of the Porky's thing, but I have a bunch of them - pretty cool!
    I'd sure be interested in hearing how they compare to this new vinyl re-release.

19. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:biglaugh:

20. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Whatta I gotta do to get a shootout around here!?! :rant:

21. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Geee!, Jack and ellingtonic like this.
  22. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

WOW! :eek: That is some super quick and might fine service, what a guy/place! :righton: :winkgrin:

23. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Ah Ted comes through in a pinch ;) thanks man. Looks like a tough call. I may get it though since it sounds like it may be a bit more detailed. I think the muddiness of the Stiff is what I am recalling on the more rockin songs. Also it would be nice to have Watching the Detectives on the album.

Do you have the Fiend cd, Ted? A bit apples to oranges I know but Id be interested to get your take on how it holds up if you do have it.

24. Pug

Buy a bunch of different copies and listen to them all. :D

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Snob!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.