Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood or Heavy Horses or Stormwatch?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

:D Is 'Songs From The Wood' an easy winner?

...any 'A' fans?

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Yes...

and

No.... not here...(my place)

Is there no musical life for you outside of Tull too? :)

Floyd?
    Zeppelin?
    Harper?

:)

3. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Heavy Horses is the easy winner for me. By far!

Flawless album!

:righton:

Great cover too!

Sneakyfox likes this.
  4. I hold them in equal esteem. Each album reminds me of a season. Heavy Horses = Summer, SFTW = Autumn, Stormwatch = Winter. I don't have a Tull title for Spring figured out yet, any ideas?

5. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

I feel HH is Spring going into Summer!

6. tootull

7. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

8. tootull

:cool:

:D 'A'

Crossfire

Spring light in a hazy May
    and a man with a gun at the door.

9. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

I'd say it's a tie between Songs and Horses. Stormwatch is few notches below those two.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  10. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Definitely Songs from the Wood. The last truly good Tull album where I have no problem with any of the songs.

freemanl likes this.
  11. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Heavy Horses. Love em both but Heavy Horses for me.

12. I prefer Heavy Horses, although SFtW is excellent too. I am fonder of HH's more pastoral-but-set-in-its-day flavour and approach over SFtW's more forced, fake-medieval, optmistic one. There is something about SFtW's overall sound - but I have only ever heard the American LP version - the synths maybe, how these are used, that tends to keep me from going back to it as often as the other one.

And yes I hold "A" in a very high position, Tull goes prog-fusion and it's very all right! Most of the songs are fantastic material and the then-new musicians are some of the best!

CrombyMouse likes this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Nah, Minstrel is Winter, that's why they're indoors. Songs is Spring, Stormwatch is summer, and Heavy Horses autumn.

BTW, my vote is Songs.

Heavy Horses and Stormwatch are inexorably linked in my mind because I originally had them on that cheapass Pair twofer.

14. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

For me it is :)

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I actual prefer StormWatch over either SFTW or HH. Only because it was more of a rock album. Even though I'm a diehead Tull fan both "A" and Under Wraps are best forgotten about.

Now if only the quad versions of Aqualung and War Child would be given a multi-channel release.

16. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Love both Songs and Heavy Horses. I'd probably give Songs a tiny edge. Stormwatch is very good, but easily a step below those two. A is another couple of steps down.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  17. mighty_quinn

mighty_quinn Forum Resident

Songs from the Wood for me.

Scope J likes this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I just plug my four channel reel to reel into the 5.1 inputs on my HT amp, and get gorgeous quad. :D

19. tootull

Stormwatch is winter here, no doubt.
    DAWG! Lucky dog!

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The storms we have to be concerned with are hurricanes and tornado spawning thunderboomers.

Actually, its hard to pin any of these down. "Iron clad feather feet, pounding the dust, and October's day towards evening." "And August's rare delight may be April's fool." And Jack in the Green are winter phenomenon.

21. tootull

:D ...Darlings are you ready for the long winter's fall?-Stormwatch

22. SFTW does indeed overlap with the Winter moods and themes (Soltice Bells, Jack in The Green), But "Stormwatch" conjures the deep dark winter from hell. Only "Warm Sporran" lightens the mood a twig. :)

I like about half of "A", "Crossfire", "Flyingdale Flyer", "Black Sunday" and 'Pine Marten's Jig". The rest I can leave.:)

23. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Stormwatch, because I remember that album on 8 track. It was played quite frequently in my house when I was a kid.

24. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Songs From The Woods beats Heavey Horses by a nose.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  25. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

Songs from the Wood is more accessible than Heavy Horses, but given enough time, I think you'll find that Heavy Horses reveals its treasures. I'd say that Songs, being the first such album, was the most concerted attempt by Ian to go pure folk. No, he never puts up the electric guitar, as songs like "Pibroch" demonstrate, but then there's nothing quite so whimsical as "Jack in the Green" in Tull's catalog, is there?

Conversely, I think he was striving for more of a balance with Heavy Horses, and the title track is just such a example. I don't think it's fair to rank one above the other (though I personally don't believe Stormwatch to be as strong as either of these two), but I've really come to enjoy Heavy Horses more as time passes on--and it's more because of the more "minor" numbers like "And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps" and "Acres Wild" than "Heavy Horses."

As for A. I don't listen to it all that often, but its more of a Tull record than many people seem to realize. Plus, I'd say that "The Pine Martens Jig" may be--hands down--the best instrumental Tull EVER did!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.