Just finished mastering Miles/Cannonball SOMETHIN' ELSE, Coltrane BLUE TRAIN 45 RPMs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Lucky Tom Moynihan, co-owner of Tenor Audio of Montreal (makers of the world's most beautiful and most darned expensive tube amplifiers) just happened to pay us a visit today at RTI/AcousTech Mastering and got to witness the cutting of two of the most famous albums in Jazz history. His jaw dropped when we asked him to carry the master tape reels to the studio from the RTI vault, heh. Wish I took a photo of his reaction.:laugh:

The Cannonball Adderley/Miles Davis SOMETHIN' ELSE masters sounded wonderful but nothing prepared me for the thrill of listening to the masters of John Coltrane's BLUE TRAIN. The depth and presence of the masters are astounding. I have not heard that amazing sound captured on any LP or CD release of this famous album. Hopefully we did our job and you will hear it on our 45 RPM stereo version cut for Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds. We carefully compared the original first pressing mono RVG cut LP of this title and made sure that the midrange magic "breath of life" was reproduced on our version but with full dynamic and tonal range. Uncanny realistic sounding recording. We did a test cut of the first track and played the lacquer back, sync'd up to the actual master tape as mastered by us. Bingo, sounded damn identical. Yummy sound! Resurrecting the dead. In stereo!

Last week we cut Kenny Burrell's MIDNIGHT BLUE and Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers MOANIN' in stereo on 45. Same chills!

When these are released in a few months I think you're going to love 'em.

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I think this news is tantamount to having the Dead Sea Scrolls translated to English! Hyperbole or truth, we will all be the judge soon enough.

3. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Any photos you care to share with us, Steve?

4. you had fun today!!! :goodie:

can't wait

:wave:

5. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

I can't wait!

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Tom from Tenor Audio took a few snaps. He will email them to me when he gets back home. I'll run them by Chad and if OK, I'll post.

7. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Number 79 with AS...I can't wait for these! Steve you have just made the wait that much harder-what a killer time to be digging vinyl. :righton:

8. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I just hope I got my pre-order with Acoustic Sounds in soon enough to get one of each of these... I imagine that they're going to be sold out pretty soon after release, if they're not already sold out just via pre-orders.

It's a lot of money to spend on music I've bought many times before, but this has the potential to be "The Ultimate"!

Craig(VC).

9. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Wow! Good stuff Steve! Can't wait.

10. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

DAMNIT! I was hoping to be satisfied with the Music Matters releases.

I just pre-ordered these....

11. ... now I finally might have to get a truntable. :sigh:

12. phish

phish Jack Your Body

this will be good stuff.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm in for both! Thanks for sharing Steve.

14. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Thanks Steve.

My wallet will certainly be lighter, but my ears will be happy.

15. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

WOW. Steve - I wish I had your job. At the very least - I wish I was your apprentice.

16. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Great news Steve, I have been slowly getting into jazz the past couple years and I have to admit I am still developing a appreciation of this music. I have been itchin to get some of your 45 rpm but missed the Bill Evans that I am partial to but these titles will do it for me. Classic jazz albums that jazz newbe can dig and will still love in 30 years.

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks Steve, very excited about both of these. My jaw hit the floor (had to do a double take) when I read Blue Train :)

18. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

Cannot wait to hear these, Steve. I just received a copy of your mastering of "Workin'" by Miles Davis... simply fantastic! Beautifully transparent. I'm just starting to get into jazz, and I'm so glad you're doing these releases.

Thanks Steve! :D

19. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

That's awesome. I really want to upgrade some equipment, but I am holding out to be subscribed to these two Blue Note series. This way I'll buy awesome records and then get a better TT to play them on.

I can't wait for Something Else, in particular -- I've been on a bit of an Adderley kick (esp. Adderley/Evans).

20. alanb

alanb Senior Member

:righton: Love MIDNIGHT BLUE .....and looking foward to BLUE TRAIN and the others......

21. Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I received the Lou Donaldson test pressing I won today I've posted links to a short MP3 sample in this post if anyone is interested.

In summary: AMAZING! I am so lucky, I was interested in these 45 RPM reissues, but they are expensive for me. But now I feel I should buy at least one to make up for the one I got for free.

22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Like I've said before, like an idiot, I missed my chance at an affordable 45rpm of Steve's take on Bill Evans, "Waltz For Debby". You can be assured that I will NOT let THAT happen again with the news of the 45rpm, "Somethin' Else".

Here's a little side note, regarding my first hearing of "Something Else". First, please note that I'm the farthest fan of jazz, that one can probably be, but I know a great jazz album, when I hear one! A few years ago my wife dragged me along on this outdoor arts/crafts festival, at a nearby mansion. I can usually be talked into going to this, once a year, extremely boring affair, because they always have a tent set up that has books, old records and movies that were donated by mostly rich people and they sell this stuff for, like a buck or two, a piece. While looking through that years LP's, I noticed many albums were of a little higher quality and desire, than the usual 20 copies of Herb Alpert's, "Whipped Cream" LP (NOTE: I'm a huge Herb Alpert fan and I love seeing so many copies available, but you can't make me believe that Michael Jackson's, "Thriller" or ANY other album, for that matter, has sold more copies than "Whipped Cream", as they're found on every street corner, auction, Goodwill, Salvation Army and wherever else is selling vinyl!). Anyways, in this tent I see many artists that I'm familiar with by name, but not by their music and one of those albums was, "Somethin' Else". Just looking at that infamous BLUE NOTE cover, I knew that there was something special in the grooves of that record and, for a buck, I was going to find out what it was.

It turns out that, according to Tim Neely's price guide, I paid a dollar for quite the rarity. It was an original STEREO pressing, in damn near mint condition and while I know that the MONO is perferred on many of these old jazz titles, the STEREO was a killer recording, in it's own right! So, here is a great little jazz gem for me, that ranks right up there with Miles, "Kind Of Blue", Brubeck's, "Time Out" and Bill Evans, "Waltz" & "Sunday" and now, I can't wait to hear Steve and Kevin's, 45rpm version!

WOO-HOO indeed!

Chris C

23. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

John Coltrane's BLUE TRAIN was the first "Jazz" CD I bought and it made me think there was more lurking out there than I had originally thought. Does anyone else remember when you were lucky to find a single new album/disc you wanted in a month? It seems like they are coming out faster now than newspapers off the press in some 1940's movie. :help:

24. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

#342 here. Really looking forward to these. I've got the Classic Records mono Blue Train and that's excellent. Very excited to hear the differences!

25. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Can't believe I missed pre-ordering the Kenny Burrell.

This is going to be an expensive couple of months. :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.