Just finished mastering Miles/Cannonball SOMETHIN' ELSE, Coltrane BLUE TRAIN 45 RPMs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Uncanny realistic sounding recording. We did a test cut of the first track and played the lacquer back, sync'd up to the actual master tape as mastered by us. Bingo, sounded damn identical. Yummy sound! Resurrecting the dead. In stereo!
    This is Quote from STEVE H.
    sounded damn identical ---as the MASTER TAPE.
    YOU CANNOT GET CLOSER THAN THAT.
    That's why if you like this music or a particular title then you need to get the 45....as others have said VERY DYNAMIC BABY.:righton:

2. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The McMaster's and Wally's in the Connoisseur series were made from digital masters and all of the cheap Scorpio pressings were made from digital masters. These Classic Records and Music Matters LPs are the only ones using analog.

BTW, Steve said somewhere on the boards that ANY LP cut by Capitol is a digitally sourced LP. He said that the cutting machine converts the audio to digital prior to the actual cutting.

From what I'm reading in this thread, I am being told to go and buy these Classic Records 33 rpm LPs if I want this music in 33 rpm. Am I a bad guy because I would rather hear Steve's version? I guess I should just shut up and go order some of those Classic Records discs. :D

Kevin

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Or get off your lazy butt and flip the record over twice. ;)

4. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Too late - I just ordered the Classic Records 33's of "Soul Station" and "Blue Train". :laugh:

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Never too late. If you do go eventually "45" you can always put these on Ebay or the Classified Section.

Todd

6. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I don't expect you to be disappointed. These are two of my favorite titles on Classic. I listened to "Soul Station" (mono) the other night and it still sounds fantastic. I actually prefer Classic's mono "Blue Train" to their 45 RPM Stereo version. Did you get both in mono?

As for AP or Music Matters releasing Blue Note's in 33 RPM, I don't see why they would. As stated by others, Classic has been doing so for a number of years. These two companies (especially Music Matters) are trying to distinguish themselves with an ultra-premium, no-compromises audiophile product, not merely an excellent product, such as the Classic 33 RPM BN series. And I think Music Matters has done so by releasing a package with the best sound, gatefold packaging, and amazing photos--something that has never been done before.

7. get Classic's Stereo HDAD and press "repeat" and you'll never have to get up again. :wave:

just tryin' to help out a fellow member ;)

8. rat1073

rat1073 Active Member

I've got no problem flippin' sides, as I can't sit down when these things are on, anyway!

9. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I wasn't recommended the Capitols (although they really are quite good if you just want a $15 record that is new, quiet, and sounds fine). I was just indicating how saturated the market is in order to answer your question as to why this series was not 33rpm. I doubt it would have happened at that speed.

I think you are making a mistake to buy Classic when the Hoffmans are likely to be better and almost certain to be worth more in the future. In five years those Classics will be $20 and the Hoffman's $75-$200, if the past is any guide.

Don't forget to pick up the $20 AP pressings of Sax Colossus and Tenor Madness that are from Steve's DCC metalwork (and if I might say, don't have that lame border around the original front cover).

10. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Good point.
    Since you'll already be up tappin' your toes and boppin' around the room, it's no big deal to slide over to the 'table and flip the disc.

11. alanb

alanb Senior Member

wassa problem?
    You like vinyl?
    Well there's twice as much of it and it's heavy!
    What can go wrong with that?
    Flipping great mate.:righton:

12. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Coming to the conclusion that the 45rpm vinyl is just for high-end systems because only those systems can realize the "subtle advantages" is to put it politely, a tad askew. The difference between these pressings is anything but "subtle" and I can realize the improvement on both my main system and my low-fi system. The difference, regardless of system, is immediate and large.

13. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

Do we know what the release order will be for the Acoustic Sounds titles yet? I haven't been able to find anything listing the order or when they're going to start coming out...

SteveMTNO

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Give them a call, I saw a few on the press over at RTI last week. Not my place to announce what they are though, sorry.

15. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Supposed to be out this month. If I remember correctly, it was said here that one would be Leeway.

16. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Considering that Steve has mastered-
    Something Else- Cannonball Adderley
    Blue Train - Coltrane
    Midnight Blue- Kenny Burrell
    Moanin'- Art Blakey.

I'd take a guess at 2 of these soon.........

17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I'm salivating! Two of these are on my all time favorite list. The others are close runners up.

18. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

I asked Leesa at Accoustic Sounds and she told me. It didn't seem like secret information or anything. She said:

ABNJ 84038 Jackie McLean/ Capuchin Swing
    ABNJ 84083 Dexter Gordon/ Dexter's Calling

Should be fun! We'll see how long I can stay subscribed to both Blue Note series. I hope for the full ride...

19. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Great reminder on Sax Colossus. Tenor Madness does not actually use the DCC master (I have 2 copies here), even though it is officially described as such. It still sounds great though!

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I ordered it based on seeing Steve's name in the description at Acoustic Sounds. It arrived today. I wish I'd known it wasn't Steve's work :(

21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Jamie, listen to it. It really does sound great anyways. :agree:

22. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I'm keeping it. Just a slight buzz kill.

Maybe someday I'll actually get my table back.

23. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

So are these the two ?

(Stereo)
    John Coltrane's most important and best selling album after A Love Supreme. This was the first fully ...
    Product No: ABNJ 81577
    Available: Pre Order
    Format: 45 RPM Vinyl LP
    Label: Analogue Productions
    Price
    $50.00

And

45 RPM Vinyl LP Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
    Product No: ABNJ 81595
    Available: Pre Order
    Format: 45 RPM Vinyl LP
    Label: Analogue Productions
    Price
    $50.00

Doug

24. Musical

Musical New Member

So who has any suggestions on things I could cut out of my life to justify subscribing to both releases? I don't really need to eat, do I?

25. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Those are the first two that are being released. They will come out later this month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.