Just finished mastering Miles/Cannonball SOMETHIN' ELSE, Coltrane BLUE TRAIN 45 RPMs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Moanin', Blue Train, & Something Else are three LP's I inherited from my dad. They are in good shape but they show some wear. I own 2 different CD versions but felt they came up a little short sound wise. I'm afraid I might cry when I hear yours, but I can't wait.

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I called AS and Lisa said hopefully the first releases will be next month!!

3. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Cool. Soon My Visa will be getting billed $200 per month for jazz albums. :righton:

4. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Active Member

That shows a lot of restraint. Only 4 albums a month? You are some sort of super hero.

5. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

well, no. That's the 2 jazz subscriptions ..... automatic billing. That doesn't count new releases (hopefully lots of WB's) and my jaunts to the record store. So, i'm starting at $200 as a min and going up from there.

6. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Same here. :)

7. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Hey Steve, ever been to Montreal to see Tenor Audio's facilities?

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

No, wish I could..

9. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

It gets better and better.

10. NIKE SQ 460

NIKE SQ 460 Just Do It...Daily!

just keep all of this great news comin' steve.

11. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

I pre-ordered both of these last night after reading this thread. I don't want to proscrastinate on these two in particular. My 180g Classics will probably be hitting the Classifieds in the next week or so... ;)

12. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

There is no way I'm missing these 2. My pre-order is in! :goodie:

13. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Damnit, I just subscribed to the AP series! :laugh:

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

:righton:

We will all be broke together. But our jazz souls will be rich !

I think we should have a listening party sometime for those who are into these babies.

15. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

Sounds great, Steve. I'll definitely be pre-ordering one or both.

16. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

OOoo! :goodie:

That is somethin' else all right!

Something about BT always sounded nice but restricted somehow. I don't know why the difference happened, but I'm ecstatic it'll finally be sounding free & clear :thumbsup:

17. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Thanks for the infor. This thread motivated me to place my order for Moanin', Somethin' Else & Blue Train

So do we know which Blue Note release will be first for Acoustic Sounds?

18. PreciousRicky

PreciousRicky Forum Resident

Same Here. Good use of the tax rebate check. These re-masters should disproportionately stimulate the economy of Salinas, KS.

19. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I just wish that they were 33 rpm. I'm not going the 45 rpm route. Too much of a hassle to have to get up every 2 songs. I just can't imagine why they wouldn't give a license for both formats. It's not like Blue Note has their own 33 rpm out there.

Steve, why did they limit you to 45 rpm?

20. Santo10

Santo10 The Hot Corner

It's actually Salina... no s at the end. It's a small town, but they've got some good stuff there. AS obviously, and a couple of good record stores.

21. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Steve has stated many times that he and Kevin prefer 45 to 33 when it comes to these reissues. And I think many fans of the series would agree.

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

And how would anyone know that? It's not like they're cutting one at 33 rpm and a second at 45 rpm and comparing, right?

I believe that there would be a lot more buyers at 33 rpm. I am not the only one who is not buying them because they are 45 rpm. There's also the simple fact that they could be cheaper if they were 33 rpm (1 slab as opposed to 2). I would be a lot more willing experiment at $25 than I am at $50.

I just wish that Steve could have done both formats and let fans of both speeds get their hands on this... and I don't understand why any label would deny them this. Most labels are out of the vinyl business and rely on boutique releases like this. Blue Note is not planning a 33 rpm version of anything right now so why not allow Steve to cut some? I think it's weird.

Kevin

23. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

???

Well besides the multitude of 33rpm Blue Note pressings throughout the years, Japanese issues, current Scorpios & Classic Records I think they feel 33rpm is pretty well covered. The 45rpm versions were never available before and offer higher fidelity but if you don't like flipping the record over so much (I personally don't either) there are a vast array of 33rpm options.

24. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I think they probably did do that at one point...

25. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

The reasons that 45 sound better than 33 are down to physics. They're real...not hypothetical. You can reasonably argue that the difference isn't significant to you or not worth the price to you but then, you can just but the CD or one of the myriad 33 versions that already exist. I mean I get it...you'd like the Steve Hoffman mastering on the format you prefer. But the license isn't for that, it's for this...and I'm guessing the fact that they're able to do this series in 45 rpm is looked upon by the principles as a blessing, not a burden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.