The reason why Song Remains The Same DVD was pulled

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eddiel, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member Thread Starter

This was just posted on the FBO list....

There was some conjecture that the reason the DVD was pulled was because 40 seconds of You Really Got Me was playing during a clip on one of the Extras. The Cameron Crowe bit. Anyway it appears it was pulled because Warner did not get clearance for the clip.

> It was indeed the Davies Brothers.
    >
    > They never would and still won't acknowledge that Jimmy played on YRGM.
    >
    > They refused permission for the 40 seconds of it on the DVD.
    >
    > Unfortunately Warner Home Video ( NOT WMG ) never got got clearance so they
    > were forced by the pissant brothers to pull all copies.
    >
    > It will be reissued in the exact same format but without the "offending" 40
    > seconds.
    >

This comes from a very reliable source. The same one that broke the reunion story and the Page finger story before any other site.

Posted with permission

Eddie

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Wow. That's crazy!

3. Geez, you'd think that, with all the care that goes into getting clearances in these sample-happy days, an excerpt so glaring would be covered off. Makes one wonder just what the WHV copyright lawyers are doing to earn the big bucks?

4. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Forum Resident

Why would the Davies brothers even care? Sounds like a pissing match to me.

5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Plus its an audio only extra. I love Zep, love Extras, but who listens to those? pretty random that someone linked to the Davies would've heard it and reported it to them.

6. eddiel

Well there is this wierd sort of feud with regard to what Jimmy did or did not play on the You Really Got Me Now track.

Eddie

7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

If it was just because Ray didn't want the music used that would be silly - but presumably he doesn't want to perpetuate the myth that Jimmy played on that song since that is the context in which it was used on the DVD (I assume). Whatever the truth about Jimmy's involvement on that Kinks track I can understand Ray exercising his right to pull the clip if he truly believes Jimmy isn't on the track. Why let people perpetuate what you believe to be falsehoods when you have the power to stop them? All power to Ray :righton:

Now, anyone know the truth about the myth - did Jimmy play on the track?!

8. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Precisely. I wonder if this is merely a copyright clearance issue instead of the petty feud that the rumor implies.

9. I think this one will be forever lost in the haze of ego and foggy memory. I think that if Page did play on it, it was just as an extra rhythm guitarist to thicken the sound. I don't think there's still any controversy over whether Dave Davies actually played the solo.

10. 905

905 Senior Member

:agree:
    It wouldn't bother me if it was Jimmy on the solo, but it wasn't. He may have played guitar on the track, but the solo was Dave.

11. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Money?

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I was mildly surprised to see that the Kinks even own the rights to that song. They must be one of the very few British Invasion groups who actually have control of their own material.

13. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

The Kinks and Shel Talmy say that Dave played every note of every Kinks solo. Even Page himself has denied that he played the "You Really Got Me" solo (though I've heard that he has also taken credit for it at various times; I haven't seen the alleged quotes where he says so, though). There's some minor controversy over whether he played rhythm guitar on it, but I think the best evidence now is that he wasn't present at the recording session.

Page does play rhythm in spots on their first album, of course. According to Ray, he can also be heard on tambourine, though Page hotly denies that.

14. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

It sounds like Ray is yankin Jimmy 's chain because he can. Ray is not what you would call a old soft teddy bear type.

15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Whoever was responsible for that remark is a FANBOI to a ridiculous degree.

I'm as big a Zeppelin fan as the next guy -- but to expect The Kinks to just look the other way while the DVD includes their music without proper clearance is just wrong. This ain't the '60's anymore. In today's world, Zeppelin can't just use whatever they want without getting sued.

16. eddiel

Recently (i.e. in the last couple of years) I have seen Jimmy deny he played the solo and yes the tambourine. I think Ray was being a bit of a wind up merchant when he said that. I remember reading the interview and it seemed like he was fed up with it all and he just said it.

Eddie

17. Matthew B.

Ah, found this from Jimmy's 1977 Trouser Press interview:

So I guess that settles that.

18. eddiel

It was said as an off the cuff remark as the person who did write this is a Kinks fan aswell. I now wish I had edited that out!

I don't think Zeppelin or anyone really thought about the clearance and sometimes these things escape people. I would even bet that most of the Zep camp didn't even watch the extras and just left all that legal stuff to the lawyers.

Let's try and keep the converstation away from Zeppelin stealing type posts if possible please or this thread will just go down the crapper.

Eddie

19. Matthew B.

What exactly was the context for the song's use in the DVD clip? And was it the original Kinks version or another? I suppose Ray would control the video synch rights either way.

20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Ok fair enough. I know Zeppelin themselves weren't responsible for getting the rights to the music on the DVD.

21. eddiel

It was a clip of Cameron Crowe talking about Zeppelin and then he went on to metion that Page played or might have played on the track and the track was playing in the background. So I can see why it was pulled. It would annoy me to no end if all I ever got when people mentioned that song hey did Page play the solo?? :)

Eddie

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

In case Ray or Dave Davies is reading this, I'm going to play that clip on my copy of the DVD over and over and over again and tell all my friends that Jimmy Page played the solo. :)

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I remember that part of the controversy was, while Jimmy played at the session, there is debate whether or not he is actually on the hit version or not. Jimmy may have played the part, but he wouldn't have any way of knowing whether his is on the final version(is there more than one version as a bonus track?).

SA

24. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Forum Resident

How much money are we talking about here? Probably not even enough to cover the Kinks Legal fees to fight this..

25. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

I don't get the controversy. Davies says Page didn't play on it. Page says Page didn't play on it. Crowe perpetuates a myth that muddies the historical record. This shouldn't be on the DVD with or without clearances. Nevertheless, the people responsible for clearances at WHV failed to do their job properly so WHV has to eat it. Some fans now possess an appreciating rarity. Some other fans have to wait for the fix.

Blaming Dave and Ray for some "suit" not doing his or her job properly? Why should they sit by and let this "analysis" by Crowe be passed off as legitimate inquiry when there is no disagreement by the principles that there's no there, there.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.