The reason why Song Remains The Same DVD was pulled

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eddiel, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

So, any chance of the old version being collectable is relative and perhaps minimal. The HDDVD could very well be sought after in the future.

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member Thread Starter

This wasn't a recent clip I don't think. It dates back to the 70's.

Eddie

3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It was a radio spot done by Crowe at the time The Song Remains the Same was released in 1976.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That must come as a shock to them, I'm sure.

5. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

If it is more than just a copyright issue then I believe it would be Ray making the call, not Dave. As far as I've heard Ray still calls all the shots with regard to Kinks recordings. Hate to see poor Dave lumped in as "pissant."

But still, we don't know for sure that it has anything to do with Ray Davies.

6. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

It was released to radio stations as a promo tape - a reel to reel tape on a 7" reel. I own one of them...:righton:

7. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

The tape box

Attached Files:

8. tradergoatee

tradergoatee Forum Resident

This is an urban legend.
    JP himself has said many times he was in the studio for some of those early Kinks tracks mostly to fatten up the sound of the Rythym guitar.
    He has claimed that the solo in YRGM is OBVIOUSLY not him which at times sounded like a small dig at Dave's playing but could also be interpreted as "insider musician razzing".

I am so tired of this non issue being made an issue again and again when it was cleared up ages ago.
    Now I don't pretend to know how "chummy" JP is with the folks he's worked with before but for the record.

Cass Elliot did not choke on a ham sandwich.
    You can not see the great wall of china from space.
    Jimmy Page DID NOT play the solo on You Really Got Me.

ajsmith likes this.
  9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

"Cameron Crowe, top rock music authority." That has a nice ring to it. He's like a Professor of Rockology.

10. reverber

reverber Senior Member

I was watching one of the new Kinks DVDs and Cameron Crowe was on it claiming that Ray Davies came up with the opening to "Stairway." They even played part of the "Song Remains The Same" DVD to show which part.

Shouldn't Led Zeppelin be upset about this?...

"Pissant", indeed.

Cody

11. Especially considering he was, what, around 18-19 at the time?

12. dabl

dabl Senior Member

I could care less about the Kinks thing but sure hope to hell the re-released blu-ray version has the 8 second drop out fixed....

13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Where is that?

Is it only on the blu ray version?

14. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

It has to be true. :D

15. jaydee

jaydee Member

And Jimmy and Zeppelin are pretty guarded about where *their* music gets used. I remember Cameron Crowe describing how he screened Almost Famous for Page in order for to get approval for the Zep songs in the film.

Nothing at all wrong with that, but if the shoe were on the other foot...

16. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Ok, so someone carelessly included an outdated Crowe bit and the inclusion only serves to perpetuate a debunked myth and continue to muddy the waters.

17. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

I still see the DVD for sale normally over here, and internet UK retailers have it in stock as well... This is the first I hear about it getting recalled!

Guess I'll now have to snatch up a copy... or two...

18. Zowie

Zowie Forum Resident

Amazon.ca seems to be pulled:

" Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same (Collector's Edition) (2DVD) by Peter Clifton, Joe Massot, John Bonham, and John Paul Jones (DVD - 2007)
    1 Used & new from CDN$ 499.95 "

But there is at least one Canadian on-line supplier still selling it.

19. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Whoa!

20. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

If The Kinks had issued a DVD set and, for some reason, 40 seconds of "Good Times, Bad Times" appeared in the background of one of the bonus features, I'm guessing Zeppelin's attorneys would have pounced on it immediately.

I would be very surprised if the legal issue originated with Ray and Dave. After all, they don't own the original recording of "You Really Got Me", correct? I would be willing to bet Sanctuary's legal team are behind this.

Wouldn't Ray actually stand to make some $$$ by working out an "after the fact" deal which gives him a cut? It makes no sense for his people to file a cease and desist (or whatever happened).

21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It probably works out better for Zeppelin in the long run though. The hardcore fans will want to have both versions of the TSRTS so they might sell more total units now.

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

And... Sanctuary=Universal.

Ray has been against issuing things in the past like certain rarities, outtakes, comps of his songs. I believe he's even changed his mind on things he has agreed to release. It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch that he'd be one of the parties behind this. However, I think you're right that Davies doesn't ultimately control the song's use.

23. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

He has the publishing, right? That's all that matters for video synch rights.

24. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

A note for those reading:

If anyone wishes to honour the musical integrity of The Kinks, and rid themselves of the offending 'Song Remains' DVD, please PM me immediately. I'll gladly let you send me your copy.

:)

25. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

It's an issue of money, plain and simple. There's no sense of "hey buddy, I'll do a phrase from your song, and feel free to do a phrase of one of mine" or "sure, if you do that radio effect as you did at the club last night, as a joke tune in out of my song". Now it's the suits saying "HEY, WE OWN THAT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, AND SINCE WE ARE INTELLECTUALS AND YOU ARE NOT, CEASE AND DESIST OR ELSE!" or something to that effect.

I'm sure someone will re-listen to all of the Led Zeppelin songs and figure out which songs haven't been completely cleared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.