The reason why Song Remains The Same DVD was pulled

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eddiel, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch New Member

Nice threadcrap!:rolleyes:

2. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

"Played" on it and "created" it are too different things completely. Page never used the word "created" but don't let the truth stop you now...

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Alanis Morrissette Irony?

Page must be quite broke, especially having his DVDs removed from the market and because the only gig he's played 7 years was a charity gig!!!

LZ got an advance on the DVD, and now it's got a reissue date and is back in print. It's never been readily available for more than $30 on the used market.

SA

4. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

C'mon! He was just making a pointed remark.

I can't understand this 'threadcrap' concept. Sure, openly negative remarks with no critical merit deserve the tag, but remarks that are intelligently on topic (even if critical of the subjects of the thread topic) don't deserve the title.

5. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Wow, I had no idea that this was being recalled. I just picked it up from Wal-Mart today for $25.

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Could anyone explain why they believe that Jimmy Page may have played the solo on "You Really Got Me?" Beyond that fact that Jimmy has said very clearly "I didn't play it", all you have to do is listen. That guitar solo is so clearly and unmistakably Dave Davies. The solo is too frentetic and undisciplined to be a session player. That's the sound of a kid, a little nervous to be in a recording studio who is head over heels in love with rock and roll, playing his heart out while thinking about kicking his brother into next week.

ajsmith likes this.
  7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

It was not recalled. Just deleted.

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Er, Willie Dixon is dead so I doubt he's still grinning. Before he died, he earned steady money from credits Led Zeppelin gave him from the release date on their first album.

Jimmy Page was listed as worth nearly 80 million British Pounds a couple of years back, so I doubt he's worried about the mortgage payments.

We've already discussed earlier in this thread that Stairway hardly equals Taurus. Taurus is a tedious, boring piece of muzak. Stairway, for all it's been bludgeoned by overplay by radio, is still a musical milestone for modern music. The two songs share a few notes from the beginning. That's all. Get over it. Ever heard Jake Holmes' song. Yes, it has the descending riff, and similar lyrics (actually the Yardbirds "I'm Confused" is closer), but it's like comparing a training tricycle to a Harley. The Moby Grape accusation is a stretch at best.

So why aren't you jumping into all the Beatles threads to complain about George Harrison's My Sweet Lord?

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It depends on motive. One always gets the sense in these Zeppelin threads that there are a select few who have appointed themselves to a "league of avengers" who, whenever they see a Led Zeppelin/Jimmy Page-related thread, jump into action and trot out the same old accusations. It rarely contributes anything to the topic at hand and ends up reminding one of Dana Carvey's hyper-judgmental "church lady" character. Can you imagine the furor on here if some people jumped into every Beatles thread and dredged up the My Sweet Lord controversy, or all the Chuck Berry riffs they nicked. How about jumping into every Stones-related thread and finding a way to twist the topic to talk about Chuck Berry Riffs they nicked. Or every Clapton thread to complain about how Let It Grow is a much bigger rip-off of Stairway to Heaven than it is of Taurus. The point is that Led Zeppelin didn't invent musical thievery. They engaged in it, as did many. They also credited people for music from their first album on (Ask Willie Dixon's estate about all those royalty checks for You Shook Me and I Can't Quit You Babe).

I loved Robert Plant's intro to Trampled Underfoot at the O2 in December when he mentioned Robert Johnson's Terraplane Blues and said something along the lines of "of course we're not sure exactly who he nicked it from...."

Anyway, let's get back to the thread topic here. I wonder if anyone's asked Cameron Crowe about this whole controversy.

10. rokritr

rokritr Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Cameron has nothing to do with this.
    Early on, the Cameron piece was pulled from the DVD because of the background Kinks music (the number for using it was in the low five figures), then right before the DVD was released, it was put back on.....Apparently, Legal had gotten it approved.....but now it appears someone screwed up.

I wouldn't have paid anything just to use the Cameron piece as it was boring and tedious....and I love Cameron, but knowing I would have to pay x-amount of money because of some brief background music playing behind Cameron's monologue, I would have pulled the whole thing.

11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Exactly! I find it really ironic that all this problem is over what is essentially a filler extra. I skimmed through about 30 seconds of it and then moved on. There are so many other cool things they could have done for extras on a "revisited" TSRTS. How about a "making of" describing how they staged the sections at Shepperton to fill in the missing footage? How about a voice over? How about the band sitting down and doing some interviews? How about a little mini-feature on MSG? How about unreleased footage from other 1973 gigs, even if it's fragmented. How about a feature on Page's guitars? A feature on Led Zeppelin US tours? A voice over commentary track on the film? A feature on Peter Grant (IIRC either the BBC or MTV did an excellent documentary on Grant a few years back)? It's really a shame the whole thing got sidetracked by this stupid, trivial little issue.

12. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

A commentary track by Page, Plant and Jones would've been ace!

13. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Music licensing is not a trivial issue....and if anyone wants to take it up with somebody...it should be the publisher...Edward Kassner Music Co. There may be the answer to all this...and everybody should stop wasting time accusing Ray Davies...
    Just because FBO posted something about this and accused Ray (and Dave for some ridiculous reason...he didn't write it....) doesn't mean that it's true...
    Oh and BTW...Edward Kassner Music Co. ownes 100% of the publishing on this tune...
    Usage of a tune for a commercial product without properly granted licenses is how a product doesn't stay in print these days...it is copyright infringement.
    Just a friendly Kinks and Zep fan who works for the CMRRA....

14. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Can I send you my resume? :D

15. rokritr

rokritr Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Exactly.....this whole Davies vs. Page stuff is so juvenile (and way below the level of expertise that this excellent forum usually offers).

As I said before, there was an amount in discussion early on--and the Cameron piece was part of the DVD, then pulled, and then put back on right before the release--but apparently something or someone screwed it up royally.......but please everyone stop with the ridiculous "Page/Davies War" crap

16. SoundAdvice

It was all vintage content opn the 2003 DVD, and the same goes for TSRTS.

Many of what you list would break the "myth" of Zeppelin or would actually involve Page paying for licensing to BBC/MSG/MTV. Also Plant is known for very EXTREMELY finnicky about any home video released and doesn't like watching himself.

A commentary track would actually be cool, but may eat up some room used for good audio. If Talking Heads could do one...

One missing special feature on the DVD would be a tour itinerary, maybe some ticket stubs and donated fan photos. Have an 73 MSG unreleased recording in the background.

SA

17. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I still see this DVD in stores on occasion (including the deluxe box). Has it been reissued without the offending Cameron Crowe/Kinks segment?

18. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Yes, it's been out for a few weeks now. They apparently removed the whole Crowe extra. It's also out on Blu-ray now as well.

19. SoundAdvice

Is the HDDVD version DOA?

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Well, seeing that HD-DVD itself is DOA...

No, there is no longer an HD-DVD version.

21. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Exactly.

Snippets of music or entire songs or performances or excepts from broadcast shows are cleared for specific and agreed purposes only. Usually for limited broadcast or use.

When you ignore this simple legal fact, or bend the rules, problems can occur. That is why some DVD's of tv series feature different music, even key theme music, than that which was used when they were first broadcast. That is why some BBC Peel sessions or Old Grey Whistle Test or Rock Goes To College appearances were cleared for release, and others (eg Pink Floyd) have not been. You can't just say 'hey, here's some tape, can I buy that, I wanna put it out there...'

One incident in which trouble occured was those 'Concert Classic' live shows taped for a Colorado radio station which did not seem to get full clearance before they started appearing on CD - there were cd's from that source by Tom Waits and Little Feat (but not that series) that came and went pretty quickly.

I seem to recall hearing that Martin Scorcese never got clearance for all the songs he used in Mean Streets, but he got away with it.

And since the series returned the BBC has been broadcasting a series called 'Doctor Who Confidential', after each new episode, which looks at the history of the characters, monsters, writers, etc involved. I was told these will only be broadcast a few times and will never appear on DVD because the vintage clips shown only received permission for limited broadcast.

Funnily enough, John Paul Jones wrote and recorded the original bassline for the Doctor Who theme before he was replaced by Hugh Hopper in the 1970's.

22. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

Pretty entertaining thread.

I think what Page actually played rhythm guitar (not lead) on was "All Day and All of the Night." I think it's pretty well established he's not on YRGM.

As far as Crowe's musical knowledge, troops, remember that on the Almost Famous special edition he lists 'the top records of 1973' and includes 1972's Something/Anything by Todd Rundgren (we presume like many less clued-in Americans, Crowe didn't hear the song or Something/Anything until 1973 when Hello It's Me was reissued as a single in the wake of A Wizard A True Star). Kinda says it all, he's just repeating an urban myth, and that's the truth.

23. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

This was famously a problem with Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep; for thirty years the only way most people could see it was on bootleg video.

The original Doctor Who theme is almost 100% electronic, isn't it? It uses a string sample, but no one's "playing" the bass line. See here.

24. Matthew B.

The two most controversial cases are "All Day and All of the Night" and "I Need You." Here's Jimmy, from his Trouser Press interview:

And from a Guitar Player interview:

Ray, Dave, Pete Quaife, and Shel Talmy all say that the feedback on "I Need You" is Dave's. (I don't think Mick Avory was at the session for that one.) As for "All Day and All of the Night," Ray said this in Creem:

25. Matthew B.

I've had a look at Doug Hinman's All Day and All of the Night, and I have to correct myself -- Mick Avory did play on "I Need You," but doesn't seem to have commented directly on the personnel. I'll just quote what Hinman says:

Hinman assigns the rhythm guitar on "All Day and All of the Night" to Ray, but doesn't say much about it. There might be a lengthier discussion in his earlier book You Really Got Me, which I don't have. Hinman credits Jimmy Page with the 12-string acoustic on "I'm a Lover Not a Fighter," "I've Been Driving on Bald Mountain," and possibly "Bald Headed Woman" and "I Gotta Move."

Jimmy's alleged tambourine performance, the way Ray always tells it, is on "Long Tall Shorty." (The way Jimmy tells it, of course, it never happened.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.