The reason why Song Remains The Same DVD was pulled

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eddiel, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Sure, there's a few folks that like to drop one-liners into a conversation about Led Zeppelin that highlights their liberal borrowing from other people's music - no matter what the context. I'm well aware of this, as my detailed Page/Jansch thread ignited a firestorm last year (even when I strained to keep the thread entirely on topic and with due respect for the players and issues involved). Sometimes it's clearly warranted; other times not.

However, there's also a class of Zepheads who just can't accept that Zeppelin did beg, borrow and steal from others - sometimes with credit, but equally without (and Dixon is no example of the former, as he had to bring significant legal action to get his royalties). I'm attentive to both situations, but I'm very, very critical of the Jansch/Page situation in particular. As such, whenever a Zeppelin comment arises with respect to Jansch, I weigh in.

I'm a huge Zeppelin fan, but I like music conversations that are thoughtful, engaging and honest. There are many, many things to celebrate about Zeppelin, but there are also some things I can't turn away from, or whitewash. Although, at this point in the game, I can't begrudge Zeppelin their 'Robert Johnsonisms' (as they popularised his myth almost as much as Clapton), Robert's tongue-in-cheek references to blues plagiarism (which he openly acknowledges) don't always make me laugh.

2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I reckon that the discs with the now-excised portion might be worth a little more than the current versions someday? ;)

3. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Glad I bought my copy when it was released -- I have the "offending, excised" version with The Kinks music intact.

On an unrelated note: In the movie, when Zeppelin gets off the plane in New York, Page, Plant and a third guy wearing a red jacket are ushered into a limo. Who is that third guy? It's not one of the band members, to be sure.

4. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Roy Harper?

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

IIRC it's road manager Richard Cole.

6. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

No, it's not Richard Cole. He already standing by the open door of the limo when the band reach the car.

ACK! likes this.
  7. 007james

007james Forum Resident

at what point is the kinks clip played? i did not read entire thread.....

8. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Right. I know who Richard Cole is and he doesn't look anything like this guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.