My Beatles Quest: Best Sounding LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tommyzax, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommyzax

tommyzax Member Thread Starter

Hello Everyone:

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm not out of line in posting so soon, or with such ambition (as you'll soon see).

I'm on a quest for the best-sounding Beatles LP's, and I could sure use the help of anyone who's interested, and has knowledge.

First, I should say that I've done a lot of reading and research on this website, and I find it to be brimming full of great insights, and thoughtful, helpful people.

However, even with all my searching, I've yet to come up with a definitive list of "best-sounding" Beatles LP's. So, without further ado, I'd like to present this as the first in a series of threads which (I hope) will settle some questions (at least for me) about this subject.

Some pre-conditions:

(1) your choice for the "best-sounding" LP should be one which is easily discerned on an average to better-than-average solid-state sound system. I understand that tube systems are mostly better, but I'm compiling for the less-than-set audiophile (me);

(2) please state lacquer (-1, -2, etc), mother, and stamper (if you have this information);

(3) please include subjective information, such as "it's the warmest-sounding" or "it has the most clarity" or "best bass."

OK, in this first thread, I'd like to discuss "Please Please Me" (Stereo).

To get the ball rolling, here is what I've learned, by extensive reading, here at the SH Forums. Please feel free to correct, or add to, any opinions which I've compiled below:

(a) "Die Beatles" is the absolutely best pressing of the LP, & the -2 lacquer of "Die Beatles" is the one you want;

(b) "Please Please Me" Apple EMI Electrola (SHZE 117-A-2 & -B-2) is good, almost as good as "Die Beatles," but the -1 is not a good lacquer;

(c) the Yellow/Black Parlophone PPM is a good issue, but these older LP's are more often worn out if you find them, or else cost a fortune;

(d) the "one-box" Parlophone PPM is equal in listening experience to the Y/B, and will also be less expensive, and in better shape when you find it;

(e) the Blue Box is a good overall value. However, is there a best lacquer &/or stamper? And what about country of origin: does it matter if it was made/originated in UK, Germany, Sweden, or Netherlands?

(f) the Australian issue is similar in nature to the UK issue, and either the -1/-1 or -2/-1 is the "good one" -- furthermore, that the thicker vinyl is the better pressing, but the Orange label will be hit-or-miss sonically;

(g) the MOFI (aka MFSL) is supposedly not very good. having too high of a top end, and that, although "dynamic" and "sparkling," it lacks something;

(h) the "two box" Parlophone PPM can be a good value.

In addition, I've read that all the UK "Please Please Me" LP's use compression while the German issues do not. What are the sonic ramifications of this?

As if this weren't enough, I've read that the choice between tube-cut and solid-state-cut LP's is not really a choice at all, but that *both* are necessary. Is this true for "Please Pleae Me?"

Thank you very much in advance to all for their kind involvement and indulgence.

Dan The Man1, SinnerSaint and tinnox like this.
  2. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Your first post, but it looks as though you came to the right place. ;)
    Wait up for at least 30 posts in 5 minutes time! :)
    Welcome aboard!

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  3. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

welcome! i think you've found the right board alright:righton:

4. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I do not think a "definitive" best sounding list is really possible. There are simply too many variables - not so much in certain pressings, but on the hardware it is played back on, the room and personal listening preferences. What might sound best on an average solid state system may not sound best on a no-holds barred high end system. For example, the MoFis may sound "best" on a system that has a great midrange but needs tipped top end and bass.

Still, you really can't go wrong with a UK Blue Box and German Die Beatles -2 and German Apple MMT. After you obtain these, I would suggest seeking out clean original UK Y/B and Apple LPs (-1 for Mono WTB and -4 for Mono Rubber Soul). Some of the other German Apple pressings like Sgt. Pepper and Revolver can sound great as well. MoFi's UHQR of Pepper and the Japanese red vinyl monos are pretty cool too - in their own way. Different strokes for different folks!

5. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Skip the -4/-4, the -5/-5 is less muffled and more dynamic. :shh:

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  6. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Really? I'll have to compare mine.

How's the -5 compare to the 1984 Japanese red vinyl mono in your opinion?

7. tommyzax

Claudio: Thank you!

ceddy: Thank you!

Randy: Thanks for the overview. I'm going to keep everything you said in mind, but I should tell you that I'm planning on making a separate thread for each LP, simply because (as you said) there are so many variables, and I'd like to keep them sorted out.

So, if I read you correctly on the PPM LP, you recommend "Die Beatles" -2, &/or Blue Box. Any ideas on stampers, or am I digging too deep?

another side: Thank you for your response. I believe you are referring to the Mono, correct?

8. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

It seems as if you really put some research into this. Good job and excellent summary of what we've discussed here on the forums.

If you have a "less than audiophile" system (and even if you had a fantastic system) I would still reccommend the Blue Box. From there you can expand your quest with a German PPM (Die Beatles) and a German MMT.

After those essentials are down I would pick up the original or '82 monos as you come across them on a price by price basis. Some of them can be very expensive, especially the '82 ones.

Along the way, compare the tube cut pressings to your solid state ones and see which ones appeal to you more. Different flavors.

To top it off I would take a look at the vinyl 45 singles collection...for all the non-LP singles and the dry Please Please Me/Ask me Why.

Addendum: I would stay with UK pressings for all the issues (except the obvious German ones and the Canadian Beatlemania)

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Oy vay, wouldn't it be easier to keep it all on here? Or search out the info? We've been thru this many times before.

10. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Yeah that's a good idea. We have enough Beatle threads as it is. :righton:

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

12. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

-2 German Die Beatles or -2 German Please Please Me is best for this title - this one is easy to make a definitive case for.

13. tommyzax

Jason: thanks for the info. There's definitely a pattern emerging concerning PPM.

Dave: I understand your frustration (?). Mine too. I've been over and over the forums looking for something definitive, but it's tough to pin down, so I thought perhaps if I made a series it would limit the agony, and maybe help future members.

14. tommyzax

Randy: thanks. I see that this is probably the way to go.

Any thoughts on the compression found in the UK PPM vs no-compression for the German Die Beatles?

15. tommyzax

Dave: good find for a thread. I'll definitely incorporate this (don't know how I missed it the first time)

16. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Here are my thoughts on the issue:

Don't be detered by the compression. It's not the more feared "modern digital compression", it's the "warm gushy kind of compression" and it's the way The Beatles (or at least George Martin at this point in their career) wanted it to sound. It's the sound original listeners fell in love with.

Think of the German version as a bonus. It's the sound of the master tape without any of the "mastering"...no EQ, no compression. But it's not a substitute for the original album. Though I know for some here it is. :laugh:

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  17. tommyzax

Jason: Great summation on the compression issue. Thanks so much!

18. Another Side

I've heard only a needle drop (not sure if it's a 1982 or 1986 red wax), but I like the -5/-5 the best.

19. Another Side

And the original stereo UK PPM cutting can be found on the early two box LP's. It's still quite a nice listen. :thumbsup:

20. tommyzax

Nice! I love all this information (most of it new to me). Thank you.

21. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

22. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

True, I just sold an extra -1/-1 two-box stereo copy and it sounded great.

23. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

Hello tommyzax. Four years ago I had the same plan..finding the best sounding copy of each Beatles LP..mono and stereo. I've almost reached my goal..just need to upgrade my mono Revolver and find a nice clean sounding stereo copy of Revolver. It's a big task...in order to reach my goal I've accumulated at least 4/5 copies of each LP...over 10 copies of PPM and 15 copies of the White album!!! Also, all the German variants...82' red vinyl mono's..two Blue Box's etc etc. I've learned a lot and this forums been a tremendous help. So, if you need some assistance just send me a PM and I'd be glad to help. Here's something I discovered recently:
    The UK two box pressings with "MADE IN GT BRITAIN" printed beneath the lower "EMI" box, almost always' have -1/-1 matrices, are pressed on thick vinyl and sound just as good as my 'one box' pressings and sometimes just as good as my 'yellow and black' Parlophones. I believe these LP's were pressed soon after the 'one box' pressings around 1970/1973. I've been able to find NM copies for under $20.00. Hope this helps and good luck, bayen

24. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

Are any of the Mofi LPs considered "best"? Perhaps the 200 gram UHQR Sgt. Peppers? Any others?

25. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Nice thread and good research tommyzax
    I have been in your shoes for the past couple of years and finding some of the information is indeed difficult. I don't mind if there is one thread per LP rather than lumping them all together and if people just stick to that one LP for discussion, the information will be easier to find. May be a Gort could change the thread tilte to add "Please Please Me" at the end.

For me, I have a near mint copies of the Die Beatles (-2/-2), a Y/B mono copy (-1N/-1N), a Blue Box stereo copy (-4/-4), a Red Box mono copy (-2/-3) and an MFSL box copy.

What you're trying to do could get quite expensive. As as been mentioned before, some had gone throught 15 copies to find a decent one to keep and probably cost them more than going for excellent copies from the get go (the approach that I have taken with excellent result$)

Good luck, you'll enjoy hunting for these LPs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.