My Beatles Quest: Best Sounding LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tommyzax, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The ice is kinda thin (there she goes again on today of all days!) but we can live with the odd comment about how they sound compared to either 'regular' Cd or vinyl but that's about it. Certainly not promoting or posting links to the many copies out there.
    Let's call an end to this DR E discussion stuff and keep with finding the best Beatles vinyl, eh? :thumbsup:

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Thank You Candy:righton:

3. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Tone,
    While I love hunting done the nicest copies of vinyl that I can find as well as feel that it's affordable especially on Ebay for all of my older vinyl copies that I want or just I missed when they were released from other countries or stuff like MFSL.
    I can pretty much assure you though that 99.9% of the stuff you see being sold on Ebay on CD that associates itself as being from Dr Ebbetts. In fact it is not.
    So don't ever buy any of that crap that makes claims using the name Dr Ebbetts or D.E.S.S. on Ebay that is sold on a CD. This junk comes from either Russia or some other far eastern country. Ebbetts does not sell his titles on Ebay.

4. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Sorry Candy, I didn't see or read your above comment before my last post.
    I'm with you, as far as just talking about the best vinyl copies that can be had and the ones that also have some different mixes or better mastering and pressings. :righton:

5. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Red Odeon? Where from?

6. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

While I'm at it, a question: I saw a 1969 Y/B stereo pressing of Oldies but Goldies, I believe it was -1G/-1G stampers. How does it compare to the 1966 pressing? Is it worth getting? I already have a 1966 UK mono pressing which is very punchy.

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Senior Member

I know this is off topic, but my search keeps leading to these threads and I can't think of a better place to ask this.

Assuming that the original lacquers for all the Beatles albums are probably in storage somewhere, still in reasonably good condition... is there any reason why you couldn't strike new metalwork from them? In other words - instead of remastering the Beatles catalog for vinyl, why not just re-press a new batch from the original "tube" cuts?

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  8. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

France?

9. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Japan. The 1982 Red-vinyl Mono Series. Anyone hear of these?:D

Attached Files:

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A lacquer is destroyed when the metal master is made from it.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  11. LesPaul666

Maybe he's thinking of the master, or mother?

12. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Right, he was thinking of the metal parts.

13. LesPaul666

I wonder what becomes of these myself. Could you imagine tube-cut re-presses of all the titles in mono and stereo?:)

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

You guys are scaring me. Don't you, um, understand what a recut is and why it's done?

15. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Well, yes, I know that if a recut is done it's because the metal parts are worn out. I was just addressing the fine point from the previous poster. :angel:

16. LesPaul666

I do too, but it is my own wishful thinking that there would be some left in usable shape.:D ;)

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

The monos were repressed in the 1980's. Don't you guys have them all? Done from the tube cut parts.

Ah, yes, the bitching around here about those repressed disks: "Vinyl too thin, changes the sound and blah, blah, blah..."

Can't have it both ways.

18. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

That's was I was thinking indeed. I have many of these, the LSO series, and I couldn't figure what was so good about these (not that there's anything wrong with them either).

19. LesPaul666

The Red Japan Mono's(EMI/Odeon, as the pic I posted above) were done from the tube cuts, or was there another run in the 1980's. of U.K. Parlophone monos???

20. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Those are 80s Japanese pressings. They are fairly common though expensive.
    They sound very good, though a bit brighter than the UK 80s Mono pressing, and they also sound a bit compressed to my ears.

Those Japanese issues were released twice, in '82 & '86. The '82s have an "M" in the Matrix #, the '86s a "D" in the Matrix #. Many feel that the '82s sound slightly better.

They do sound very close to the original Y & B Parlophone cuts, but not as warm IMO.

21. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've been rebuying Beatles lps for the last year or two and now have a complete set of decent Y&B monos. I've also got all those Dr. Ebbetts discs. I've done needle drops of my vinyl and compared them to the Ebbetts and really like the tonality (is that a word?) of my needledrops better. They just seem a whole lot warmer. However, some of the original Brit monos just don't sound that spectacular to begin with.

22. Tone

Tone Senior Member

I don't think they were pressing any Yellow and Black labels in 1969. But the -1G stamper on the 2 Box Black EMI sounds very close to the original pressing, and Much cheaper, and easier to find.

Though the vinyl is thinner. ;)

23. Steve Hoffman

I'm sorry, LP6,

I'm not up on JPN Beatles pressings. No interest for me so forgive this possibly stupid question.

A "tube cut" means the mastering was done with tube amplifiers in the cutting chain. Are you saying that these Japan albums were pressed with the British tube cut metal stampers? :confused: That's the only way that anything from Japan could be "tube cut" unless you go back to 1963..

Japan studios used transistor mastering gear before anyone else in the World.

Un-confuse me, please...

24. LesPaul666

Steve,

What I meant was, were the red mono Japan 1982 LP's cut using the UK tube cut stampers, or were there mono Parlophone UK re-issues of the original tube-cut monos in the UK, in the early 80's?

I understand that every lacquer cut after 1969 at EMI(Abbey Road) was transistor.

25. Steve Hoffman

I'm beyond confused now...:laugh:

Didn't YOU post the picture of the red vinyl JPN record? Look at the matrix number on the lead out. Does it look like a Parlophone number, I mean the numerals themselves?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.