My Beatles Quest: Best Sounding LP's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tommyzax, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

JPN reissues in 1982 and 1986 JPN cuttings. Not sure if they were different cuttings. UK reissues using MOSTLY the same cuttings as the originals (i.e. tube cut) in 1982. :shh:

2. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I was thinking the jpn. lps were solid state. hmm.

EDIT:

Ok here is the matrix for Rubber Soul 82 jpn mono :

YEX -178 D 1S

YEX-179 D 1S 6

3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

What I meant is that there were three reissues: 2 JPN (1982 and 1986) and 1 UK (1982). The UK reissues used mostly 60's tube cut stampers.

4. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

:thumbsup: I knew what you meant bro. I was mainly posting for Steve. I am guessing that the japanese matrices really dont mean much in relation to the UKs in determining whether they are tube or SS?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You guys are still confusing me.

If Japan requested that England send them some old tube stampers to use, the Japan reissues would be tube cut.

I really doubt that happened but if you look on your leadout groove you can tell if the "style" of the numbers matches a Parlophone.

In 1982 EMI, UK reused their old mono stampers to make new pressings of the mono albums. Did they do this because they wanted to "preserve" the great old tube sound of the original mono cuts? No, they just wanted to save money.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  6. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

My Pepper red mono is YEX 637 M 1S-YEX 638 M 2S

White Album YEX 709, 710, 711, 712 -M1 S on all four sides. These are the 1982 narrow-OBI issues.

They are *not* Parlophone style. They are Japanese Odeon style.

7. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

i've followed this entire wild and wooly thread. much good info, many "entertaining" sidetracks.

is a "die beatles" NM- to NM worth 100? i know this mkt has gone nuts lately. i have a blue box and a few of the japanese mono reissues, so--

doug

8. LesPaul666

Now, I know.:D

I assume that the Japan mono's were re-cut on solid state equipment, from UK mono copies, or possibly stampers from the early Japan issues(doubtful).

I've never seen these UK mono re-issues. They sound like a way to go, though. I really don't care about the pressings being thin, etc...as long as it's an original cut. I'm glad they decided to save money, at EMI.:)

9. Steve Hoffman

The mono repress is commonly called "The Red Box".

A few years later you could buy them individually as I did, at Licorice Pizza for like 6 bucks each.

10. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Ok. For one thing my Sgt Peppers MONO jpn has YEX on it. I thought XEX meant MONO NOT YEX. So does my RUbber Soul. I havent checked my Revolver.

As far as the style the Sgt Peppers -1/-1 cut that I have doesnt look exactly the same as the japanese style of matrix. The japanese is thinner looking and bigger in font. BUT, as I said, the beginning of the martix on the japanese MONO Sgt Peppers is YEX :confused:

I dont think we can learn much from comparing the two. The japanese pressings are unique to themselves I would guess?

11. LesPaul666

I think the XEX/YEX thing is true, but I think there may be exceptions on certain UK presses, YEX being on some Mono stampers, for some reason.

I think the Japan "YEX" Mono thing, may have just been a mistake.:D

So, Where does one "find" one of these UK "Red Box" 's???:goodie:

12. Tone

Tone Senior Member

That's actually a 1986 pressings, with the D in the Matrix.

As I noted in post #120

<< The '82s have an "M" in the Matrix #, the '86s a "D" in the Matrix #. >>

13. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

On e-bay if you are willing to spend $2,000

14. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Some of the UK 82 mono reissues of Sgt. Peppers were accidentally pressed with MONO on one Side and STEREO on the other (YEX). They especially show up in the Red Box sets.

Wasn't aware that this was a problem with the Japanese copies.

15. LesPaul666

Probably the same cut as the 1982's, though. These are very easy to tell apart from the UK's. Pepper has track banding, as well as the "inner groove" gibberish, *before* the run-out groove.

16. Tone

Tone Senior Member

I've got one that I'll sell for 2gs. :D :agree:

17. LesPaul666

All the Red Japan Mono's are YEX-numbered, but they are *all* the true mono mixes, no stereo screw-ups.

18. LesPaul666

For 2 Grand, you can find the Y/B originals. Do we have some vendors here?;)

19. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Wow, never noticed that, but I just checked my JPN Red Monos and you are correct sir. Thanks for the info.

The only stereo 'screw-up' I was aware of was the UK 82 Peppers. Quite rare.

Btw, you seem to have the earlier 82 JPN issues, (M Matrix) which are a bit better sounding IMO.

20. Steve Hoffman

No offense to you JPN Beatle LP collectors but back in the early 1980s I got a bunch of them from a well-meaning fan. Each and every one of them that I played had the breath of death. I mean, boosted top end, weird midrange, either too much bass or none whatsoever. Very unmusical sounding; the musical pace was just scrubbed out.

What's up with that? Why are these so loved?

21. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

To borrow from Cormac McCarthy line, as brilliantly delivered by Josh Brolin in No Country for Old Men :
    "The gettin' place"

Here we call it Ebay. The easiest way to spot the reissue , besides some label variations and weight, is the abscence of the "flip back" style jacket.

For nice copies they generally go for 25 for something like With the Beatles up to about 100 for Pepper, the White Album etc. You don't need the Yellow Submarine it is a fold down.

For some reason the RED boxes go for a lot of money in fact if you break it down on a per album basis you could deal with one the established high end well known sellers on the UK Ebay and buy originals.

C

22. Tone

Tone Senior Member

My feelings also as I was saying in post #120.

They still sound good though compared to what else is out there.

You can hear comparison samples of all the MONO issues at the bottom of my recording page, which I've posted here from time to time.

Clip #1 is UK '82
    Clip #2 is Original Y & B
    Clip #3 is '82 JPN
    Clip #4 is US Original Mono

23. LesPaul666

It's not that they are really well loved, but I looked at it this way...

I wanted mono mixes of some of the albums, the Red Japan's were well kept, and mint- condition, as well as being reasonably priced(at the time). Most of the time the Y/B Mono's are way outta whack price-wise, and physically ruined or worn out. Some sellers think because it says "Beatles", G to P ratings are worth big money.

My brain goes by the Goldmine grading system. Most of the ones they are selling are worthless, in my opinion.:confused:. I mean, come on, it's not that hard to take proper care of an album.

24. LesPaul666

What are clips 2 and 3 from?

25. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Just put in an edit on my post.

Clip #1 is UK '82
    Clip #2 is Original Y & B
    Clip #3 is '82 JPN
    Clip #4 is US Original Mono

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.