American Idol 2007 - discussion ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Did you see the intro?

How can that show take credit for Jennifer Hudson? That's quite a stretch. She was elimated from the 2004 show and came in what, sixth runner up. Didn't Simon say something to the effect that she was not finalist material.

How wrong was he? She was one of if not the best vocalist in the Dreamgirls movie.

And now they have the nerve to mention her, take credit for her, in the introduction to the new season. :eek:

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I have to give American Idol some credit after all these seasons. They have found some talent that actually works in the marketplace.

None of them are my cup of tea but they move product.

3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I didn't like their self-promotion at the beginning and then drawing out the segment with the girl who reaaaaaaaally wanted to make it, but was mediocre at best. Poor beginning of the show.

The comment about Jennifer Hudson is right....7th place, and they take credit for her.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

As painful as it is for me to admit, I really enjoy the early portion of the season. Some of those folks are really bad! It makes me appreciate all the talented singers that much more!

5. Chris R

That was painful to watch.

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

No pictures please. :biglaugh:

mud-:D

7. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

They did give her the exposure. And Simon was right, she wasn't finalist material - America has voted.

8. RDK

RDK Active Member

Exactly. Without her exposure on Idol, Hudson would never have been "discovered" and would never have landed in Dreamgirls in the first place.

9. rburly

Right.

Yet they take no credit, only a quick picture of Ruben Studdard. Hmmmm...

10. JohnG

How about that M&M's commercial with The The's "This Is The Day"! LOve that song.:)

11. rburly

The 16-year-old kid who sang California Dreamin' did a great job!

12. JohnG

Haven't been impressed by anybody tonight. The one's they picked so far will have a rough time in "Hollywood".

13. stever

stever Senior Member

My daughter's got me watching. I didn't hear any great vocals tonight. The contestant who sang Dancing Queen in his metal? voice -- cute.

14. JohnG

Kinda reminds one of Jay of Clerks fame doing his "heavy" metal voice. :)

15. Chris R

That was a surpise. Took me a couple of seconds to remember the artist. I'd turned to my g/f and said, "I know that song...Great tune...mid-1980s...um...THE THE!"

16. Chris R

I disagree. Based on her performance in Dreamgirls and when she was on Idol, she should have at least been in the top 2 or 3 finalists. IMHO, I don't think that a Fantasia Barrino could handle the songs in Dreamgirls let alone the acting. Fantasia has a powerful voice, but she's screamer, a la CĂ©line Dion.

I remember reading somewhere recently that the week Ms Hudson was voted off American Idol, Elton John was the guest judge. He complained later to the media that she didn't get a fair shot or something to that effect.

It's been reported that the week Jennifer Hudson was voted off American Idol, it was by a margin closer than the Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken final. Fantasia was the one who almost went home that night.

For my money Hudson or Latoya London should have won Season 3 of Idol.
    We don't know that. She landed the role in the movie, because she passed an audition. Would the producers and director a Hollywood film care if someone was on American Idol or not?

17. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

Of course! Name recognition puts asses in seats and that's all a producer cares about.

If Jennifer Hudson were just a talented "no-name" odds are she would never have even been able to audition for that role. Her time on AI, however brief, has allowed her to open doors that she would never have been able to even find before. :)

18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

And where would she be without being on AI?

19. Macca

Macca R'kid

I've heard that maybe Paul McCartney would be a guest in the jury. Maybe it was for 2008 though.:winkgrin:

//McKenzie

20. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

The girl who sang "If I Were King Of The Forest" from Wizard Of Oz just killed me. That was a scream. Along with the afore-mentioned guy who sang "Copacabana" in a Fuel-like voice.

21. JohnG

How about the self-proclaimed "biggest fan of American Idol" who came on at the very end and looked like Uncle Fester's sister! :laugh:

22. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

But the waxed eyebrows? :yikes:

23. Feelflows

Feelflows New Member

I really disagree with the comment about Fantasia being a screamer...IMO she was head an shoulders above everyone else...Hudson absolutely not overcome her nerves...until Dreamgirls, all I could remember about her were thouse bug-eyes. Fantasia's cover of Chain of Fools is on par with Aretha's IMO...this is coming from someone who owns every Aretha LP from the 60s and 70s. That was all it took for me...Summertime was absolutely stunning IMO. I'd love to see a Rick Rubin Fantasia album along the lines of American Songbook.

My favourite last night was the juggling/dancing/singing 16year old who cried tears of rage when rejected. Also "Do you want to keep the poster" - "no, not at all" To quote Jewel "that's just cold..." That Lion girl was possibly the strangest audition I've ever seen...beating William Hung and the puppet girl from S3.

24. Mid West was deffo the Mid Worst! only 17 people made it? usually almost 30 make it ... crazynes s... yes that chick who sang the Wizard of Oz song was FREAKING hilarious ...

THE DOOR! HAHAHAHAHA I got more laughs from people running into the wrong door .. we made it into a dirnking/betting game "will they pick the right door" Ultimate Humiliation ... deffinately set up by the show ... I kept saying "Put up a sign!" haha that chick who looked like tracy Chapman, and forgot all her lyrics to Kiss... she did a running jump for the door! hahaha

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

For whatever reason,Fantasia never did much for me. Never more then a ok singer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.