American Idol 2007 - discussion ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

A lemur

2. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Yeah, but still.... I don't know how much those three get paid, I have to wonder if a good chunk of that goes to shock therapy after all of this is over.:D

3. hahaha another night full of laughs ... Love this show!

I bet a lot of good singers will come out of Memphis though! (isn't it thier first time there?)

I got fait in Memphis (and my favorite song is lonestars rendition of "walking in memphis) haha

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I believe they've been down there before maybe Nashville.

Isn't that how they found Carrie Underwood and Kelli Pickler?

5. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I remember when Hudson was eliminated. She's from Chicago and there was a huge thunderstorm here that knocked the power out. All of her whole hometown Chicagoland fanbase was sitting in total darkness while she was performing. It was no surprise when she was kicked off the next day.

6. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

The Idol competition rolled through here this season, and there was a lot of good buzz. Even Simon dug some of the talent. The competition was originally scheduled for Memphis for season 5, but with the influx of Katrina victims coming here at the time they cancelled it.

7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm enjoying the dreadfully awful performances this year, just like previous years. How some of these people have actually come to believe that they have any talent as a singer is beyond me. It is nice that they pepper these audition shows with a few decent auditions, but it was amazing how few people who auditioned in Seattle got through.

8. JohnG

Actually the best amateur singer I've heard was the one they found in England in a competition called the X Factor. Wish she was in American Idol.

9. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

To paraphrase Styx, it's a grand delusion. :D

10. JohnG

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, Carrie and Kellie were both on American Idol.

12. heaudio

heaudio New Member

Wasn't it her ouster that caused Elton John to complain about the vote being racist?

13. JohnG

yes, I remember Elton making a comment like that.

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, it wasn't just Hudson's ouster but also that the other bottom two that week were black females (Fantasia, the eventual winner; and LaToya London). They clearly weren't the three worst vocalists: amazingly the exceedingly boring and mostly flat singing John Stevens was "safe" that week, though he did (finally) get the boot the following week.

15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

It always happens, somebody with a better voice gets voted off or says on. The voting isnt just about the singing as we have seen. I'm not bringing color into it at all. You sure dont need to win to go on and find success.

16. RDK

RDK Active Member

But the "better voice" is also a matter of opinion, hence the voting. I've heard people say that Fantasia is the best singer of all the winners and others saying she was the worst.
    Overall, I've pretty much agreed with the Top 3 each season and with most of the eventual winners. I've got good taste. :D

17. BradOlson

My favorite of the winners vocal wise is Carrie Underwood. Generally speaking, I prefer Nashville Star as they often have better singers than American Idol.

18. rburly

Brad, is Nashville Star a TV show? Just asking because it sounds like that's what you're describing, but I haven't heard of it.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I was only explaining the context of Elton's remarks to make it clear that he wasn't crying "racism" simply because one black female got voted off.

I agree that I don't always think that the worst singer gets voted off. Beyond the fact that there are more aspects to the contest than just singing ability, not everyone shares the same point of view as to who is best singer is. If it were that easy, there wouldn't be much interest in the show as a competition.

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Seems the last few years EJ has been opening his mouth abit more about lots of stuff.

21. BradOlson

Nashville Star is a TV show on USA Network in the US and on the Canadian version of CMT done in a format similar to American Idol with the exception that while American Idol just auditions anyone, Nashville Star mostly auditions artists with some previous experience in the business as independent artists, singers in clubs, etc. This is the show that introduced the world to Buddy Jewell, Miranda Lambert, Erika Jo, Brad Cotter, George Canyon, among others.

22. BradOlson

One more thing, Nashville Star only has country artists

23. rburly

I know American Idol at the beginning is a freak show and we end up with "American TV Made Singers", the "Nashville Star" method sounds more like what I'd want to watch as a competition. But, that's just me.

24. BradOlson

I agree.

25. BradOlson

Buddy Jewell had long been a demo singer/songwriter before he made it to Nashville Star. Miranda Lambert had an indie album out in Texas and appeared in the Piper Perabo teen movie "Slap Her, She's French" as a teen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.