American Idol 2007 - discussion ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Well, yeah! JLH is fantastic! :righton:

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

And i dont care if she can sing either. Dont you need good lungs to sing?

3. shokhead

The guys stink.

4. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I agree, they have to be tone deaf. You would think they review their performances after the show and realize they are off pitch most of the time. :eek:
    The bald guy is so arrogant, please keep the hat on. He looks like the offspring of Jane Curtain in "Coneheads", really!

5. shokhead

I love the coneheads and the loud family.

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The girls do blow away the guys completely.

7. Antonella...

Attached Files:

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, she sucks. (And possibly not just as a singer, if the pictures on the web are to be taken at face value). But she's the woman I most like looking at with the sound off...

The women are SO much better than the men, on the whole, that it's kind of ridiculous this year.

Kwad

9. shokhead

She has to go,seems like the judges are trying to help her leave. The second to last girl was pretty good,fun.

10. annewithane

annewithane New Member

I cannot believe she's still around and trying to defend how she sings no less :p

Melinda is my favorite - she just has such a presence on the stage :D

11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Melinda is my favorite, though I also like LaKisha a lot. I think Melinda has shown more versatility at this point.

As for Antonella, I can understand her not wanting to agree with the judge's comments and trying to hide behind the "I'm not trying to copy anyone; we're all just different" defense when called on her poor singing. After all she is trying to stay on the show. If she admits that she has an extremely limited range she's basically asking to be booted from the show. I wonder if she's so deluded that she would privately comment after comparing her vocals to Melinda's that she thinks she sings as well but just differently.

12. RDK

RDK Active Member

I actually feel sorry for Antonella. She's clearly the "worst" singer of the bunch, but to call her "terrible" is, I feel, overstating it. I mean, just a few weeks ago Simon and the others considered her "top 24" material - so obviously they didn't think that she "sucked" then. And I certainly wouldn't call her "deluded." Come on, she's up there singing her best, and even if it's not good enough to win (and it isn't) she shouldn't just fold and concede the loss. I thought she was remarkably honest when Simon asked her what she thought. She praised her fellow contestants (rather graciously I might add) without actually throwing in the towel. It sometimes sounds as if some of you want her to outright quit - but she's not the one who has the choice in staying or going: it's the people who continue to vote for her.

13. RDK

RDK Active Member

Btw, we watch the show with my 5-going-on-6 year old daughters. My wife and I talk pretty candidly during the show about our favorites, so we make no bones about our dislike for Antonella, but we discovered last night that both of our girls like her the best. :agree:

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Well, I used the term "deluded" because I don't know how else to describe someone who thinks that singing a lot of wrong notes is just a "different style" as opposed to singing poorly. The beginning of Antonella's performance last night was very poor; her performance was like most of the guys' performances the previous evening: "pitchy." It wasn't until she was singing some higher notes that she was able to hit them.

Antonella seems nice enough and it was certainly gracious of her to acknowledge the talents of her competitors. I also agree that saying she is "terrible" isn't quite right. If I heard her in a karaoke bar I'd probably think she was very good, but the bar there is a lot lower. Hearing her perform right before or after someone else who has better vocal control really reveals Antonella's limited talents, though, and if she stays another week I think it has more to do with her image than her singing ability.

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

It's like Simon told her last night "I just wish you could sing".

16. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

I watch AI with my nine year old son. He roots for Antonella because she's "hot". But he realizes that at this stage of the competition she's just not good enough to continue much farther.

17. PreciousRicky

PreciousRicky Forum Resident

This is the first year I've watched this show, so I am playing catchup. So far, I share the opinion of the media that the singing has been flat. Frankly, I'm bored most of the time. Nevertheless, there are three competitors which I like. Lakisha, the humble shy girl who sang last, (and who Simon adores), and Sligh, the chubby guy with the afro. Although Sligh has not performed well in the last couple of weeks. The rest of the men are bland. Too bad they have to have equal numbers of women and men.

Are contestants allowed to compose their own songs? I ask because Randy's main critique of contestants is that the material they sing is too big for them and that they can't compete with the artists who originally perform the songs.

18. shokhead

I see they voted off 2 more that shouldnt have been yet.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't understand how/why Sanjaya is still around. Among the pack of mediocre male talent he is clearly the worst singer. I'm not sure who else of the guys I think should have left because, apart from Blake, none of them really appeal to me -- and I only like Blake because of a YouTube clip showing him singing and beat-boxing his own material. I don't think any of his performances on the show have been particularly impressive.

Of the women, at least Antonella is gone. I think Hayley should have been the other female to go home last night.

20. RDK

RDK Active Member

By "they" I assume you mean "we" - at least the editorial we.

Sanjaya is obviously being kept in by the substantial teen (and deaf! :D ) vote. People tend to forget that their top picks aren't necessarily the same for all demographics.

Did anyone catch the judges' faces when Sanjaya and Haley were put through? They were as shocked as anyone.

Just shows to go you who's the true "boss" of the show...

21. shokhead

They as in the voters.

22. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Apparently, the true "bosses" of the show.are "US".............the voting public.

The judges were justified in their "appearence".............I can't believe Sanjaya is still there, either. Vocally, he is weak. In my opinion, Sundance could mop up the floor with him.

As far as Haley is concerned.................doesn't mean much to me.

I believe Melinda and Lakisha have the best voices among the females. As for the guys..............maybe a tossup between Chris, Brandon and Blake.

Should be interesting to watch.

23. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

This year is just so bad in my opinion (even though there are several good singers) that the show is losing me.

As "school-girlish" as it may sound, I've made a point of rushing home and not missing an episode for the past 5 years... this year I could really care less.

Personally, I feel bad for you, Rickey, as previous years were SO much better than this one. There's no drama, no real animosity, no underdog, no incredibly beautiful girl, no "it factor" (using my best British accent) this go-round.

It's hard to believe that of the 75,000 auditions (or however many there were), that we are down to this twelve. Of course this is all just my opinion.

24. RDK

RDK Active Member

The thing is, it's really rare to find a truly great singer. People think it's not that hard because everyone can do it (in the shower, doing karoake, in a r&r band, whatever), but few can do it really well. Heck, even a lot of the pro singers we hear on recordings are aided by studio trickery - or at least the luxury of being able to do multiple takes or patching performances together.

One of my favorite segments of Idol is the first auditions, not so much for the bad ones (which can be funny) but for the good ones. This is one of the few times that we get to see someone sing cold and acapella, with no music, background singers, or production wizardry to fall back on. It's rare that we ever get to hear even pro singers sing under those conditions.

25. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

:wtf: American Idol voters are on some major drugs or something. As much as Sundance was off his game with the vocals on the Pearl Jam song, he should not have been sent home. Sanjaya should have been put on the bus last week. That is crazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.