American Idol 2007 - discussion ***possible spoilers***

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDK

RDK Active Member

Over 30 million viewers last week, up from last year. So it looks like wish-fulfillment is having absolutely no impact in getting this show off the air any time soon. It looks like Michael and others will have to suffer a bit longer and continue to bitch about something they "don't care about" anyway.

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

If I had to sit through the entire episodes of American Idol, I probably wouldn't watch it either. There's just too much padding. But with my TiVo, I can not only skip all of the commercials but also the recaps at the beginning and end of each show; performances that I can already tell are going to be terrible; profiles of the competitors that are uninteresting to me; and some of the banter between Ryan and the judges if I really want to reduce the viewing time. Because of all of this I can watch one of their two hour shows in under an hour's time.

3. Anyone know where I can find video of

[​IMG]

performance from last night? I've checked the idol site ... it was AMAZING! wanna show a co worker

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

TiVo:righton:

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Some of this years girls have been very good. Nothing thats rocked my world but good.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

:biglaugh:

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

One of the more cruel things AI does to the contestants who are voted off is make them sing the song that got them voted off.

Hey, sorry but your out....here's a mic...sing a song for us!

8. Chris was voted off. I thought he was pretty good. Votes going to the wrong people. But, what else is new?

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Neither of the contestants named Chris were voted off yet. It was A.J. and Nick who were voted off this week.

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't think that the worst male singers left this week, but I certainly couldn't argue that Leslie needed to go. I don't even think she deserved to be in the top 24 at all and this week her performance was dreadful.

11. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Probably was refering to last years Chris Daughtry.

12. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Absolutely. I think this would be unbearable without a Tivo. I watched all 3 shows from this week in about 2 hours last night. I skip from performance to performance and then listen to the judges.

13. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

A.J. got boned. Hard. He is easily amongst the top six male singers. AI's flawed voting system has clearly created its first 2007 casualty of injustice.

14. shokhead

Flawed? The voters are getting what they wanted. They voted off JH.

15. ivan_wemple

Should we now be referring to Kellie Pickler as Kellie "Saline" Pickler?

16. shokhead

They looked good. Now we need updated pics.:righton:

17. RDK

RDK Active Member

Ryan: "So what else did you buy?" :laugh:

18. ivan_wemple

Yes. Flawed. The number of votes someone receives is not determined by the number of potential voters who want to vote for him/her... it's determined by the bandwith of their voting system.

Ever notice how the final AI winner and the runner up have essentially the same number of votes? If 20 million people "try" to vote for Contestant A, and 10 million people "try" to vote for contestant B, but the bandwidth of the voting system only allows for, say, 8 million votes, contestant A will receive approximately 8 million votes, and contestant B will receive approximately 8 million votes. The person who receives the most votes is arbitrary.

It's flawed.

19. RDK

RDK Active Member

True, but this only appears to be a factor in the finale (or perhaps top 3-4). At this stage they aren't close to maxing out their "bandwith" and the results tend to follow the various polls that are done each week.

20. RDK

RDK Active Member

And the conspiracy theories continue. :rolleyes:

21. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Theories? 'Doubt it! :) And; I'm not saying there isn't talent on that show.

22. ivan_wemple

Confirmed... I believe you are correct.

That said, with enough bandwidth, I think the voting process would be more effective if people would vote for who should be sent home, as opposed to who are the favorites.

23. RDK

RDK Active Member

I'm not sure it would necessarily be more "effective" but it would be different that's for sure. Fans have been debating this for years and there are pros and cons to both methods. Nothing's going to change, though, as the producers have hit upon a formula that's been successful beyond their expectations... and they're not about to go mucking it up now. :cool:

24. shokhead

One of the better parts last night was the Hanes commercial with Jennifer L Hewitt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.