Beatles box set coming Nov. 16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gerry Galipault, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Anyone else find it odd that it's the U.S. LP releases? I thought the UK releases were the definitive ones, with no tracks missing, and that's why they were released internationally on CD that way. I look forward to the music being remastered, but won't we be missing some key tracks off these new albums or am I mistaken? I'm relatively young and only grew up with the UK CDs!

JEFF!

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

You guys all have your panties in a bunch and there hasn't even been an official press release or even a picture of the box.

3. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

4. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

At this point I'm just fearing the worst.

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Check this link out Beatles Capitol Box Set , it says there, among other info:

"Each CD will be remastered using 24 bit.

Each cd will have the MONO and STEREO versions.

70 page Booklet.

50.00 list."

Might actually be worth it, but then again it's all in the mastering.

6. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

7. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Here's the track list - same as the original vinyl - courtesy of
    CD Wow!

CD 1: [Meet The Beatles]
    I Want To Hold Your Hand
    I Saw Her Standing There
    This Boy
    It Won't Be Long
    All I've Got To Do
    All My Loving
    Don't Bother me
    Little Child
    Till There Was You
    Hold Me Tight
    I Wanna Be Your Man
    Not A Second Time

CD 2: [The Beatles Second Album]
    Roll Over Beethoven
    Thank You Girl
    You Really Got A Hold On Me
    Devil In Her Heart
    Money
    You Can't Do That
    Long Tall Sally
    I Call Your Name
    Please Mr. Postman
    I'll Get You
    She Loves You

CD 3: [Something New]
    I'll Cry Instead
    Things We Said Today
    Any Time At All
    When I Get Home
    Slow Down
    Matchbox
    Tell Me Why
    And I Love Her
    I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
    If I Fell
    Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand (I Wanna Hold Your Hand)

CD 4: [Beatles '65]
    No Reply
    I'm A Loser
    Baby's In Black
    Rock 'N' Roll Music
    I'll Follow The Sun
    Mr. Moonlight
    Hondy Don't
    I'll Be Back
    She's A Woman
    I Feel Fine
    Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby

GM

8. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Just realized some of these could be in the reported "Vol. 2"...

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

$50 list? Apparently not. :confused:

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...actually, I believe these are geared towards the first generation fan, after all, we were forced to hear only the AMERICAN LP's as children, imports were not available as parallel releases in 1964...so, our beloved memories, warts and all will drive the sales through the roof, I'm predicting Top 10, possibly NUMBER ONE!...:)

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The simple truth is that I expect the worst with most new issues. Look at all the mismastering out there!

12. Michael

..and Introducing The Beatles! and the love affair for me is still going strong.

13. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I emailed Bruce Spizer about the releases and he emailed back saying I will be very pleased.

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

You know what guys.....this also might be sort of a "test marketing thing" for EMI / Apple. Since each disc will have the mono AND the stereo versions, perhaps Apple wants to see how that affects sales, and maybe in the coming year or two we will get the UK lps remastered on CD with both the mono and stereo mixes. Apparantly they have worked out the royalty issue.

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I think that was probably ₤50.00 not $50.00

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Just did an ASIN search on Amazon.ca....nothing yet for us Canucks.

17. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Not a royalty issue. An Apple Can-We-All-Agree-Unanimously-On-Anything issue.

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Have Bruce tell us more.

Now I'm really in suspense. :goodie:

19. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Because, Joe, that would make sense, and this makes practically no sense at all that I can make out. At best a gimmick, at worst.....a fleecing. Although if both mono and stereo mixes are included, might tempt even me....maybe.

Same here...same for many of us. But, as previously noted, the bootleggers have covered this...many times, and, IMO, at times with sonics I don't expect to be bested by this collection, should it come to pass. But of course the packaging one would expect to be far superior, and liner notes.....

BTW, nice job getting the discount! Regardless of anyone's feelings about this project, pretty neat of ya to pull off! :wave: :edthumbs:

Well, this is all hearsay, so far. When I see an official pronouncement with Apple Corps attached, then we can believe it. Until then, well.....

:ed:

20. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

When Amazon first offered Let It Be Naked for preorders, the list price was given as $22.98. The actual list price turned out to be $18.98.

Similarly, when Amazon first offered the George Harrison Dark Horse Years box set, the list price was given as $184.98. The actual list price turned out to be $132.98.

With this in mind, you may want to hold off on complaining about the price of the upcoming release.

21. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member

If nothing else, this tells us that Apple is willing to use other mastering facilities besides Abbey Road, which is a good thing. I've always suspected that when they finally redo the whole back catalog, it wouldn't be done at Abbey Road.

22. Michael

No, No, your wrong :D...It's positively coming:) if anything, the release date will be bounced around...

23. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

24. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Someone asked why the US albums and not the UK albums. Answer is greed. There were more US albums than there were UK albums. However, it IS a good move to put mono and stereo on the same disc, that is a great decision.

Wanna take bets on which mix cues up first, mono or stereo?

Question: Were the mono US mixes Dexterized separately from the stereo US mixes? Or were they fold-downs? Wouldn't it be nice if the mono tracks on this release were clean and un-Dextered?

It will have to get fairly crappy reviews for me to pass on it. The only reissue I didn't buy was the White Album anniversary set.

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm almost surprised it's Ted Jensen instead of Greg Calbi doing these, since they're using Sterling. I realize Ted is the head guy over there and this is THE BEATLES, but Greg seems to have more of a history with The Beatles, at least with their solo recordings, not to mention at least one (if not both) of the "unreleased" Pepper remasters.

Even if Steve did the job, these are "Dexterized", so no matter what it's not going to be Hi-Fi nirvana. Besides stereo and mono, we may even be getting fake stereo (Duophonic) and fake mono (Capitol Type-B - ie. folddown from stereo).

While I drool over the idea of The Beatles being reissued properly (sound, packaging/artwork, etc. if that will ever happen), I have to agree with some of the others that if they're going to be reissuing the US format albums, they should be "Dexterized", no matter how much I may detest that sound. It's the only way to do these correctly. The generally wonky sound is as much a part of these US albums as the sequencing and the artwork/packaging. It all adds up in the "experience" you get from the US albums. If those tapes weren't used, why bother doing these at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.