Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Here's the front & back cover of the booklet:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got mine tonight-the delivery guy just dropped it at my door. I went outside for something, and there it was. Looks terrific! Can't wait to get listening to it...:righton:

2. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Those are fantastic photos!!! This is getting even better.:righton:

3. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

For some reason, I just ordered this. I like the album okay, but I can't figure out what possessed me. shrug.

4. Gizmondi

Gizmondi New Member

Ah...you live in Belmont. That explains a lot.

;)

5. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Finished listening to disc 1 on my headphones. Great sound; it sounds like the boost is on the right channel to me. Highlights for me- Can You Dig It (alt version w/ Peter's vox)- lots of great guitar work on this. Ditty Diego- 20 minutes of very funny stuff on this-I love the unison versions-great delivery :righton: Digging into disc 2 right now. Really like the mono version of Porpoise Song...

6. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

You know what I like about this set? Absolutely nothing!
    I opted for standard shipping so I haven't seen it yet. Whaaaaaaaa!

Here comes the whaaaaaaaambulance!!!!!

Attached Files:

7. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

See, that's what I did last time, and I got mine about 10-15 days later than most of you guys did. Not this time! I am listening to the Salt lake City concert right now. The vox are really tinny on Sunny Girlfriend, so I understand why they left out the non-Mike vox songs, but dang, it still is great to have it anyway:)

You Told Me live... very cool!!!! Never thought I'd hear this... :goodie:

8. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

For some reason, I found this picture from Head to be fairly disturbing, but I can't quite put my finger on why...

Attached Files:

9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

LOL That is Hilarious!!! Michelle.

Jack creeped me out there. Reminds me of 'The Shining' - "Heeerrrreee's Johnny!"

10. Sammy Banderas

LOL. "RedRum ... RedRum ... RedRum!!!":D

11. Gizmondi

Gizmondi New Member

Jack thinks: "This version of 'Circle Sky' SUCKS. Better have Mike go and record one in the studio with some heavy cats later."

12. Sammy Banderas

I think I read somewhere that there's a deleted scene from The Shining where Jack is typing "Hamilton Smiling Down" over and over again on sheets of paper.:winkgrin:

13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Interesting photo (aside from Jack being there!). Note that there are several condenser mics pointing straight down from the ceiling. The mic in front of the Marshall stack is also incorrectly positioned so that it is BETWEEN the speaker cones!

What is the second amp head that's daisy chained to Mike's Marshall? Can anybody identify the model? It looks like Peter has the same thing powering the bass cab, which I also cannot identify. And what is the horn-loaded cabinet next to the Leslie cab? Might be a Sunn.

14. cartologist

I'm on the "poor" side of Belmont - multi-family dwellings. :wave:

15. cartologist

16. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Weirder yet why is the amp head on the Hammond organ in one shot (at the top of this thread), but not the other?? AND the organ is on the opposite side of the stage as the Leslie speaker. I'm guessing the 'horned' cabinet could be the amp for the Leslie cabinet that's next to it? Perhaps for Pete's Guild bass? Or could that be a separate Leslie for Mikes guitar? What would he have needed that for? Lastly, is that another guitar lying flat on the stage next to Micky's (stage right) bass drum in with Davy's percussion? Doesn't look like Pete's banjo.
    Also... why is Peter singing? Live version of Lady's Baby? ;)

Nice eye on the stage set up Mr. Pact!

17. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

Yeah but last time 'rush' shipping didn't cost an extra $19. Too expensive...I'll wait.

18. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

20. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

So the question at this point is:
    Is there any reason to hold onto the 1994 Rhino single disc version???
    :help:
    Mike

21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

What is the deal with "California, Here I Come"? I wouldn't have thought it would have the spoken interlude and heavy breathing. I thought that was something they added for the TV soundtrack.

22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'm holding on to all my 90s Rhino single discs remasters. Seems to be something different on all of them. Besides, I think they were done very well. Great artwork on all the discs themselves. Really wish they would have released that whole catalog as a box set as was initially planned.

23. leonard

leonard New Member

Better to hang onto to it than get about 3 bucks for it.

24. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Yes. An alternate mix of Happy Birthday. :)

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

My guess is that 'California' was meant to be the original closing music for the movie during the end credits. This, of course, was replaced by the Ken Thorne closing music for the film. 'California' was later used for the closing credits of the '33 & 1/3 Revolution per Monkee' TV special.

For those who already have the 'Head' set and can check the liner notes for 'California' and see if my conclusion is correct, it'd be appreciated. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.