Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Yeah, but not according to the lyric sheet included with the 1981 Arista Japanese reissue...

2. MarkTheShark

CAN YOU DIG IT?

Something doesn't change.
    There is only one; always changing inside.
    What deos (sic) it become?
    Can you dig it? Do you know?
    Would you care to latch on?

Those who know it use it; those who stow it die.
    To think that you can dig it, is to make your soul a fly.
    And then can you dig it? Do you know?
    And then can you dig it? Do you know?

There is only feeling in this world of life and death.
    A single phrase of never change with every single breath.

GRAVY

And, uh, I'd like a glass of, uh, cold gravy with a hair in it, please.

3. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Meanwhile...
    The Rhino site is still taking pre-orders...

4. MarkTheShark

Hey, I can wait -- in the mean time, I'm having a blast with these lyrics from the 1981 Arista Japan reissue...that'll hold me over until it gets here. Anyone else?

5. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

If you watch that clip that Fred put up on his note and click on exactly the second the old speaks he says "skunk bait".

6. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I defer to Ed. I just listened to it once more and I humbly agree that the bearded man says 'skunk bait'. I must have been mishearing it all these years. As I've said before, 'Head' is a movie that no matter how many times you've seen it, you discover something new, and for me, this is one of those instances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNJHG3wVekQ

7. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

I pre-ordered about a month or so ago, and got a shipping confirmation today... I also see where the money for it was taken out of my bank account by Rhino today too ...

I went for the free shipping when somebody way back on this thread mentioned that some people who ordered express delivery actually received their's after those ordering the free USPS delivery for the BB&M set ... we shall see

8. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Someone posted on Monkeeland.com that they received their set today. The vinyl is included IN the boxed set. It fits very nicely inside the box with the CDs, booklet (and pin!).

This person paid for next day shipping.

9. yardbuzzard

"Here we come..." The Monkees are coming ! The Monkees are coming ! Hopefully we will all be very happy very soon ...

10. readr

readr Forum Resident

I don't know....the first one I can hear why it might be "skunk". sounds like "sssss-dog". But that second one sounds exactly like "dog". I can't hear the second one saying "shunk" at all. I always heard "dog", so maybe I'm hearing what I want to hear. That's weird. I never in the hundred times thought anything other than "dog". Really, I don't care either way (it's just a silly little sound bite), if it's "skunk", cool....whatever. I think they should put you all with the fish.

11. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Until we got that radio promo on the 1994 reissue, I had no idea the background voices were saying "Coming... Soon..." I always heard "humming" and never listened much to the other part. In fact, I didn't figure "Coming... Soon..." until I heard the accompanying "Now... Playing..." and slapped myself for missing it for about 8 years.

12. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Time for some fun with audio!
    Here we have a 33 second clip of an edited "Poll" from the soundtrack of Head.

In this clip I kept the soundbite of the guy that looks like my high-school theatre guild teacher saying... "It's a violation of your civil rights." Upon examination, what I believe you folks are hearing the "S" off of the end of "civil rightS" and your ear is tacking it on the beginning of the next phrase, which might sound like "skunk" with the carry-over "S". Although there's no hard "K" at the end of skunk, if that's what he was saying.

Then I removed the "It's a violation of your civil rights", so what you are hearing is just the dude with the beard (who's suspiciously borrowed Micky's Fedora). I then repeated the "gun bait" portion a few times. Now, it's very clear what he's saying. Check it out.

Edited "Poll" from Head: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ebbcvx

Attached Files:

13. Tracy Robison

Tracy Robison Forum Resident

It always sounded like 'drug bait' to me.

14. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

He's actually saying "Dog Bait!"

15. Gizmondi

Gizmondi New Member

THE MAN has spoken.

Move on.

16. Tracy Robison

Tracy Robison Forum Resident

Clambake? Aw man somebody call Bill Bixby.

17. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Is there closed captioning on the DVD? Meant to check that last night.

18. semidetached

Just got mine!

19. semidetached

A few things straight off:

The alt stereo mix of Long Title is listed as previously released on the BBM box.

The notes to the open end interview are reproduced - very cool.

The 45 cover is BEAT. All three sides split at the middle. No biggie, and not a complaint. I think this just may be a casualty of the way it's packed inside the box?

The CD sleeves and book are BEAUTIFUL.

Going to give a listen very soon.

20. yardbuzzard

I'm getting more and more excited ! too bad about the 45 though, for sure

21. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Looks like US customers will be getting theirs before I do here in Japan after all! ;)

22. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

You guys who are getting the box already, did you order with expediated shipping?
    Because I didn't and I haven't even been sent an email yet.

23. semidetached

Yeah, I ordered rush. I didn't get a shipping email either.

I should say that one of my box corners was dinged up pretty well also. Was the BBM set shipped in a padded envelope? I can't recall.

24. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I don't think you're going to get an email. Mine just arrived (paid for expedited shipping) and I wasn't sent en email.

The packaging is BEAUTIFUL! Lots of rare and unseen pix in the booklet (including a couple of Mike in his Nudie suit, in color Michelle!).

25. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I'm not too worried about it though. I didn't get the email that the mono Dylan had shipped until last Thursday. By Friday it had arrived.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.