Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I ordered Rush as well, so I am guessing I'll get it very soon as well :D
    BB&M came in a cardboard cover, not a padded envelope.

2. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Yeah, this was in a padded envelope folded over itself because it was too big.

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Just got a good listen to the sample..he's saying "SKUNK Bait!"not Dog..My mistake!:righton:

4. mr_mjb1960

The quote came from the English portion of the Japanese Lp Insert Liner notes of "HEAD",and rough in translation as a result.

5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Yeah, me too! It all made sense then...interesting that Nicholson, or whoever was putting that part of the album together, actually threw the radio promo into the mix and it had been there all along...also listen to the song clips that are mixed in and out of "Opening Ceremony." That's the LIVE "Circle Sky" in there!

6. mr_mjb1960

"Album Coordinator-Jack Nicholson",the Lp credits said..he,along with Mike (As Nesmith himself said,he and Jack got into Battle Royales galore piecing this Lp together!),cobbled Dialogue with music together to create an unique listening experiance.

7. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

Well mine arrived today (picked expedient delivery) and despite the flimsy "envelope" used, the box itself arrived safe and sound without any blemishes. Even the 45 single inside was perfect.

Won’t get time to sink my teeth into this until the weekend but my congratulations to Rhino Handmade for a superb package design.

For anyone out there on the fence about getting this due to the cost, trust me when I say its worth the price.

My only first regret when I opened this was I wished the prior 4 Monkees albums were designed similar as it would have looked fantastic on the bookshelf.

Well done, Rhino as well as everyone involved in the processing of this master piece.

What a year for the Monkees!!:edthumbs::edthumbs:

8. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Highlights for me so far are the alternate Daddy's Song, featuring a double tracked alternate Davy vocal and some Mike scat at the end, and the rough mix of Porpoise Song sans Davy's vocals. VERY cool stuff.

9. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

I heard that alternate version of "Daddy's Song" on the Monkees' Facebook page ... really groovy listen! Just when you think you've heard everything ... BAM!!!!!! More goodies from the vaults! Can't wait for my HEAD box to get here!:goodie:

10. Emerlist Davjack

Emerlist Davjack New Member

I always thought he said "That song was pretty WHITE."

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That IS what he says - and Davy replies, "Well, what can I say? So am I."

12. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The lyric sheets posted over the past couple of pages in this thread are from the ones that came with the Japanese pressings of the album.

Since they were transcribed by non-native speakers of the language, many mistakes were made.

The line is "pretty white" - which is made clear when the audio cuts to Mike saying "...and the same thing goes for Christmas". (White Chistmas, anyone!?)

13. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

My set landed yesterday (Thurs.) via rush shipping. Anybody on the fence on this one, pull the trigger.. you won't be sorry!

Most interesting data point in the liners as far as I'm concerned: Mike's comments re: Peter's songwriting contributions to the Film/Soundtrack.

14. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

This is a little off topic but is the scene where Timothy Carey acts like a disabled person ("That a boy Mike") some sort of a mid '60s "inside" cultural reference? I was listening to Jan & Dean's Filet Of Soul the other day and Jan was doing almost that exact same "voice" in one of the comedy bits. Was that particular bit a portrayal of an ephemeral character actor or a comedian from the mid '60s?

15. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I just got billed for mine overnight, though I could have sworn I was charged for it when I pre-ordered back in September.

Standard shipping, hoping it'll be waiting for me tonight...

16. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

They put a charge on your card during pre-order, then back it out. They come back & charge it when it's ready to ship. They did the same for BB&M set.

17. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

yeah, a couple of my "go to" retailers do that also ... not the Rolling Stones.com store though, Mick wants his money upfront, and now!

18. sf74

sf74 Active Member

So I just emailed Rhino Customer Service because my order (for both BBM and Head) wasn't showing up on "My Rhino" page. Their response was
    uhhh WTF? I emailed them back to let them know that I know that both boxes were already released. Anybody else have the same problem?

19. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

They took my money 2 days ago, so I'm just going to assume mine is on the way (with rush shipping). I worried enough last time with BB&M, so I'm going to not worry this time...

20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Got my set today! I had placed my pre-order with the "Rush" option.

The box is stunning. Contents are even more stunning. Haven't had a chance to dig all the way into yet. Can't wait.

21. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

mine still says "AUTHORIZED" so I'll be waiting for another while.

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

please share the comments

23. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Anyone who has it already, pics please?
    (I'm in the UK so I'm not expecting it to arrive until mid next week...exciting.)

24. mr_mjb1960

You have to remember,Jan Berry was physically Disabled due to a near-fatal car crash he'd had in 1966...his speech pattern was nearly destroyed..the Carey imitation,I suspect,took its cue from John Lennon who,as a way to vent,imitated a Retarded man onstage to relieve stress,a Knee Jerk reaction to the Disabled the boys had to suffer mentally through eveyday.:shake:

25. GMav

GMav Senior Member

I called Rhino yesterday. They told me mine shipped this past Wednesday. Standard (free) shipping. They couldn't even SHIP it on the actual release date. :thumbsdn: I was told 4 to 5 business days but could be as many as 12. I am sure it will be worth it. Love the BB&M set. I still believe Rhino should have planned out the shipping date better so people who pre-ordered would have received it closer to the actual release date. Of course if you want to pay more for it you can have it quicker (which I elected not to do), so I guess it is all my fault that I have to wait so long to get mine. :laugh: I am sure the sets have been ready for quite some time. Still makes me wonder what the hold up was? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.