Monkees HEAD from Rhino Handmade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

My wife surprised me on my birthday over the weekend. In one of the birthday cards was a picture of the 'Head' - Deluxe Box!!! How cool is that!!!???
    She placed the order last week after the preorder date, so no 45 for me, but I'm still VERY happy.

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

"IIRC my BB&M box set came in a cardboard box."

What he said...

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Congrats, Deke.

RE: the 45... I'll hook you up again like I did before! :cheers:

BTW, I visited Providence this past weekend and found a terrific record store, Round Again Records, on Wickendon Street. I score a bunch of nice jazz vinyl, and the owner seems like a good bloke.

4. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Very good point.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'd love to get a release of the versions of Prithee, Naked Persimmon and Listen to the Band from 33 at some point.

6. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Very cool!!!! Thanks sooooo much!

RE: Round Again Records - I used to live on Wickenden about a block and a half up from Round Again back in the 80s and then again in the early 90s less than a block from Round Again. Great little store. A big part of my old record collection made its way there. The owner knows his stuff, but he can be crabby at times. I'm glad you had a great experience. Let me know next time you're coming to town! I owe you a beer or three.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Just great. Another damaged CD package for me to send back to Rhino ... and they take forever (plus a couple of phone calls) to replace things.

And mine isn't even here yet!

Damn them.

8. pmayhew9847

pmayhew9847 New Member

Listening to the single versions of "The Porpoise Song" and "As We Go Along", I have always been surprised that neither was a Top 40 hit. Beautiful music and lyrics with Dolenz shining on lead vocals on both songs. IMO that this single was ignored by radio as a backlash against the Monkees and I also feel that the DJs must have enjoyed the Monkees fall from the charts.

9. sf74

sf74 Active Member

got mine today. pretty quick for the free shipping. and it was shipped in a cardboard box (then again, i order the BBM box as well). looking forward to diving into both of them this week.

10. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

Just got mine today. It was also shipped in the padded envelope, which my mailman carelessly crammed into the mailbox. :rolleyes: By some miracle, though, the edges weren't crushed at all. No 45 with the shipment. I haven't opened mine yet, so I don't know if they just put the 45 in the Head box or if its coming later. Last time, My BB&M set came shipped in a corrugated box with the vinyl.

11. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

The 45 should be inside the Head box.

12. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Got Mine Today (Free Shipping Option). It was perfectly packed!! Can't wait to hear it - especially You Told Me.

Side Note - Peter, like Davy, is now saying that there might be a Threekees tour next year.

Off to read and listen!!

13. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Received mine today also, free shipping option too ... everything with it is in perfect condition, thankfully ... it WAS delivered in a slightly padded envelope, but it must be enough to keep everything in fine shape ... I'm off to the music room now !

14. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

indeed it is !

15. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Yes. Mike's (Head film version) lead vocal was re-recorded in the studio.

16. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Color me surprised... I cancelled my rush shipping pre-order and made another order the Sunday before release date. A Media Mail package (padded mailer) arrived today in Florida shipped from Redwood City, CA. The 45 was included in the shrink-wrapped box.

17. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I just finished submitting the CD info for disc 1 to Gracenote. I hope I didn't make any mistakes!

18. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Mine arrived today. Some sweet sounds coming out of the system at this moment. Life is good. :D

19. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I'm so envious of you guys right now! I can't afford it right now, and it's killin' me! :laugh:

20. KimiAndRitz

KimiAndRitz Forum Resident

I'm envious too, and I pre-ordered it the day Rhino started taking 'em! It's gotta show up this week..........

21. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Strange. I pre-ordered mine on the 9th of October, which was quite a few days after the first day of pre-ordering started, yet I got mine today. Hope you get yours real soon.

22. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

What a shame, not really interested if Nesmith is not involved.

23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

More's the pity, then, because when I saw The Threekees in the early naughties, they were magnificent. A large band with them perfectly recreated the records, and they did two long sets including all their psychedelic stuff (and ALL of Head!!! Well, not the stupid marching band stuff) as well as a few Mike tunes so he would be represented. They even wore wool hats!

It was really surprising how good it was.

24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

+1
    I opted for free shipping.

Darryl

25. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

<TWEET!!!> (Michelle blows her whistle and throws a flag on the field.)

OK, I'm sorry, but I need to call a moratorium on the term "Threekees"..!

With no disrespect to the person who coined it, it's really got to go.

"Threetles" was clever, and it rhymed with Beatles.

"The Monkees minus Nesmith" is fine if you need to be specific, but for gosh sakes, the Monkees has been a trio for much of its history.

"Threekees" sounds like a failed breakfast cereal from the 70's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.